• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Hooray @sonnydays22a
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Great progress, Everyone, on trying something new or working on exercising consistently. I appreciate all the resources you’ve suggested and am checking them out. I want to develop a daily yoga practice. I’ve been dismissing it because I can’t get up off the floor easily anymore, but that’s a cop out. There are plenty of yoga poses I can do on the bed or while standing.

I’m also going to look into @nebslp’s Classical Stretch and I’d never heard of Qigong, so thanks for that link, @PinkyPan1.

@cshock93, @UnicornSmoothie, and @sonnydays22a, I’m so excited to hear that you’ll be adding exercises to your schedule this week! And @Mary407, glad to hear you are returning to swimming!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Hooray @77tes Good for you for trying something new.
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I did some yoga yesterday that was more than just downward dog and child's pose. Yee-ouch! my upper back was stretched very well. I think tackled some tension in my neck, too. I need to find some yoga for sedentary people like me, who have to spend a lot of time behind a desk.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,946 Member
    Options
    @PinkyPan1 , I tried the Qigong. Is that like TaiChi?
  • cshock93
    cshock93 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Haven't gotten exercise in this week..i need to just make the time!
  • themedalist
    Options
    cshock93 wrote: »
    Haven't gotten exercise in this week..i need to just make the time!

Yes, it’s about making the time to exercise. Some weeks are crazier than others, but making exercise a regular part of your life and making it a habit is so worth the effort! When 30 minutes isn’t possible, 10 or 15 minutes will still have an impact.

I really like how @MmamabearR put it last week in our Best Tips Challenge:

“I have to make the time to exercise. I was never going to have a window where I could look around and say, ‘Nothing to do. Good time to exercise.’ Nope – so I say, “This is my time to exercise and everything else will have to wait.“

I realize you already agree with this perspective, @cshock93, but it is so well put that I wanted to quote her.
  • themedalist
    edited January 2018
    Options
    MmamabearR wrote: »
    I did some yoga yesterday that was more than just downward dog and child's pose. Yee-ouch! my upper back was stretched very well. I think tackled some tension in my neck, too. I need to find some yoga for sedentary people like me, who have to spend a lot of time behind a desk.

Good timing. Our March exercise challenge is aimed at people who spend a lot of time at their desks. It will either be Chair Yoga or Deskercise. Still mulling it over and input is very welcome. I have a Feb exercise challenge already which is why I’m slating it for March.
  • charlouiselb
    charlouiselb Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I tried an advanced barre class which was fantastic. She has some really solid classes that I’m looking forward to trying. Here’s the link:
    https://youtu.be/QgPjDL7-ylY
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I tried an advanced barre class which was fantastic. She has some really solid classes that I’m looking forward to trying. Here’s the link:
    https://youtu.be/QgPjDL7-ylY

Sweet! I will take a gander at that! I usually just mess around on my own and I'm too cheap to pay 20$ a class at a studio right now.
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    MmamabearR wrote: »

Good timing. Our March exercise challenge is aimed at people who spend a lot of time at their desks. It will either be Chair Yoga or Deskercise. Still mulling it over and input is very welcome. I have a Feb exercise challenge already which is why I’m slating it for March.

I have no idea what "Deskercise" is, but I am very interested in finding out!!! My recently acquired FitBit Ionic (thanks to my wonderful hubby for an awesome Christmas present!) buzzes at me at 10 mins to the hour to remind me to get up and move a bit each hour - but there must be other good options for those of us tethered to the desk for the majority of our daylight hours. Thanks Denise!
  • angelinaf2610
    angelinaf2610 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hiya all Noob here
  • angelinaf2610
    angelinaf2610 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sorry about double message still getting to grips with this but I'm going to try Yoga and walking 3 times a week. Tried yoga once and found it quite difficult, anyone have any tips?
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @PinkyPan1 , I tried the Qigong. Is that like TaiChi?

Sorta like Tai Chi...I tried Tai Chi and I could not memorize the movements. To me it was like knowing how to dance...any yeah...I can't dance. Qigong however, is standing in place and moving in a slow and deliberate motion. Very relaxing but challenging.
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Sorry about double message still getting to grips with this but I'm going to try Yoga and walking 3 times a week. Tried yoga once and found it quite difficult, anyone have any tips?

Oh yes, as PinkyPan1 says find an instructor you like, everyone is different, I love Lesley? Fightmaster on YouTube, soooo sweet and explains a whole lot if things which I find interesting!
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    2017 I added yoga to my workout routines and really love it. Here is my favorite beginner yoga challenge. It took me about 3 months to get through the 30 day beginner challenge. I let it slip over the holidays so I want to get back to that. I'll think about what I'd like to add in. The longer I work on health and fitness the moire I appreciate having many different kinds of exercise to use. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zzonBs06mX8

Oh my 77tes, I really cannot thank you enough for this,! am up to day 6, so enjoyable, I just didn't realise how much I have been taking my body and all it's workings for granted! It was your little comment 'it took me 3 months to get through the 30 day beginner challenge' , that really put a different stance on how I think about exercise, Yogs should be made law! Thank you again!!