3rd Week of January, What's your goal this week?

Options
loveshoe
loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
I haven't been as smart as I should be with food choices. I've found myself snacking since it's been so cold. This week I'm working on a plan to stop snacking and identify real hunger versus I just want a bite of something.

Three questions I'll ask myself when I find I want something outside of normal meal times.

1. Am I hungry or just thirsty?
2. Would I eat an apple or carrots? If I wouldn't choose the apple or carrots I'm probably not hungry and I need a distraction (exercise is always good).
3. After 5 - 10 minutes of treadmill or walking in place do I still want to eat?

If I'm still wanting something after the 5 - 10 minutes of walking then I'll have 8 ounces of water and then in 30 minutes have some protein.

I'm also going to pre-plan a daily snack and work it into my daily nutritional/calorie goal. I did this in the past then I stopped.

What are you working on this week?

Replies

• DawnCumm
    DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I need to start exercising, moving....so I will start to measure my steps. It is so cold outside and I am back to work post surgery, so it will not be easy but I need to start creating a new routine for my new life.
  • valgal127
    valgal127 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am going to plan my fluid intake and set times and amounts on my water bottles. I used to only drink at meal times and now I will not do that so I am not drinking my water.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @loveshoe I like your #2 question. I heard once on a Podcast something similar. Ask yourself, "could I eat a salad right now?". If not then you're probably not really hungry. I drive a bus for work and always keep water in the console for easy access. Sometimes when I think I may be hungry I'll have a drink and then I'll forget that I was even hungry. I never have "junk" snacks with me either. So when I do snack it's always something like fruit, nuts, cheese. Stuff that will fill me up but I won't overeat or crave more of.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I hate the cold, so walking as much as I did when it was warmer outside hasn’t been happening. Some people enjoy being out in 28 degree weather, but I’m definitely not one of them lol. I still walk to class/around campus during the week, however.

I would like to find somewhere indoors where I can walk and get my steps in until my bones thaw out for spring. My gym at school has an indoor track, so I can walk there. That would mean finding a set time either before/after class that I could spend 30 minutes walking.

Time to start figuring it out!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I need to get back to my lifestyle

My mum's terminally ill so I've spent a month driving between home and her care home, eating whatever was available which was normally sandwiches and rubbish

I've had to scale back on how long I spend sitting with her (she's no idea I'm there most of the time) and use that time to walk more, find better food options further away from the home

I also plan to run a little at night outside as i hate the treadmill with a passion and I hope on it less and less as winter progresses
  • vsteele6
    vsteele6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    loveshoe wrote: »
    I haven't been as smart as I should be with food choices. I've found myself snacking since it's been so cold. This week I'm working on a plan to stop snacking and identify real hunger versus I just want a bite of something.

Three questions I'll ask myself when I find I want something outside of normal meal times.

2. Would I eat an apple or carrots? If I wouldn't choose the apple or carrots I'm probably not hungry and I need a distraction (exercise is always good).
    3. After 5 - 10 minutes of treadmill or walking in place do I still want to eat?

If I'm still wanting something after the 5 - 10 minutes of walking then I'll have 8 ounces of water and then in 30 minutes have some protein.

I'm also going to pre-plan a daily snack and work it into my daily nutritional/calorie goal. I did this in the past then I stopped.

loveshoe wrote: »

• vsteele6
    vsteele6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am working on not eating at night! I have always wanted to snack in the late evening before I go to bed. I actually eat crackers in bed! Big no no! SLIDERS! So I have started journaling again. Hope this helps. Also reading a lot on changing habits.
  • Ecowles675
    Ecowles675 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This week I am working on setting a routine I can stick with for exercise. I found myself finding excuses to not go in the evening after dinner. So I am trying the morning after dropping kids at school and before work. I am limited to 30-35 minutes, but that's enough to get in a full body weight circuit or just cardio. So far I have made it every day this week. Had a a few wardrobe malfunctions with tights or shoes that don't really match, but oh well!