I'm baaaaaack!

Options
steve0mania
steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
Howdy GOADies! Well, it's been a long-time coming, but I am (not so) proud to declare "I'm back" on WW again!

Although I've been below my official WW goal weight for over 8 years, I've been hovering about 10-12 pounds over my personal target weight for a few years now. I've been wishing those extra few pounds off for a long time, but apparently wishing them off isn't the best possible strategy.

Also, there are a lot of things going on in my life right now that I don't have much control over. Someone recently reminded me, however, that what I put into my mouth *is* something I can control.

Probably the biggest issue I will need to get under tighter control is my alcohol intake. I was playing around with the WW tracker and was reminded by the "alcohol penalty" that is baked into the Smart Points system. I imagine if I can eat well, cut back on my alcohol intake, and avoid replacing it with other snacks and desserts, that things would likely go in the right direction.

Please bear with me as I ask all of the routine dumb newbie questions. I'm going to take on the program like I was truly starting fresh. I'll be looking back into my standard meals, etc., and see what needs to be changed. I hope you'll be willing to help this newbie out!

On a good note, I got my old username back (after a phone call with WW Customer Support)!

I just gotta remember: It works if you work it. Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. Onward and downward. Make the better choice. Avoid BLTs: bites, licks, and tastes. Dare to soar! There is no finish line. I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

:D

Replies

• steve0mania
    Options
    Whew, at least I have over 200 posts. You will all be able to talk to me now!
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy your posts, Steve.

I wish you good luck in tackling your weight issues.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Someone recently reminded me, however, that what I put into my mouth *is* something I can control.

Do you need my refrigerator magnet that says, "There are some things in life I can't control. What I eat isn't one of them!" :)

Welcome back! Like you, after being at or below goal for 10+ years, I found weight steadily going up. Right now I'm focusing on getting back to my "official" goal weight. As of this morning, I'm 4 pounds above. Which sounds good. But it really isn't because I'm 14 pounds above my "personal" goal weight.

Thanks for all the "pithy" reminders from the days of old. LOL My least favorite has ALWAYS been, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" My response is the same as always -- then you haven't eaten some of the things I have.

• beachwoman2006
    Options
    And you DO know that you aren't on the WW message board here, right? LOL
  • johnlreeb
    johnlreeb Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Steve! I was bigguy075 on their boards.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I will look forward to your opinion if the NEW WW Freestyle Plan.

Are you going to meetings or on line only?

We don’t get many Newbies here on MFP. But WW Connect is loaded with them.

Since you’re are an Old-timer GoaD I did want to know let you know I stuck with GoaD and WW. Getting close to GW!

SW 376 (2013)
    CW 189
    GW 184

Jim
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Yeah, I recognize the usual gang here! Jim, that's impressive that you've continued to just-about-goal.

It was a nice stroll down memory lane when I was trying to remember my old WW password! When I asked the website to send me my password, it sent it to an old email address I don't have access to any longer. The woman on the Customer Service call I made noted that I dropped my etools back in 2010!

In many ways I stuck with aspects of WW over the years. I still try to get in my two teaspoons of oil every day (does anyone know if that's still a requirement)! But, as many of us used to discuss, I transitioned from counting points, to simply filling technique, to intuitive maintenance. It's probably not a bad thing to re-engage with more structure and then slowly transition back towards intuitive maintenance over a longer period of time.

I guess time will tell.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Steve. Now YOU can start the Friday Weigh-in thread. LOL
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Alcohol- I found myself in a place in life where I could either eat or drink. I chose eating. No one was more surprised than I was. Welcome back.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Steve. Sounds like you have the right mindset.
  • beachwoman2006
    Options
    I still try to get in my two teaspoons of oil every day (does anyone know if that's still a requirement)!

As far as I can tell, there are NO GHG's any longer. Plus the 2 tsp of oil is not zero points -- unlike Core/Simply Filling where you didn't have to use points for the first 2 tsp a day.

I rejoined WW online a couple of weeks ago (with the one month plan). I got 23 points a day and 21 weekly points -- down from 35 weeklies when I was using Core. After 3 days I had already used all my weekly points because I had gone over my daily points every day. Things I was accustomed to eating on Core/SFT for which I didn't need to count points are now points-worthy. I'll be dropping my online subscription as soon as the month is up.

I'm continuing to track here on MFP and it's working great for me so far.

• RedSassyPants
    RedSassyPants Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Good to see you
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    So many of us are above our "personal target weight". Maybe WW was just too lenient with the official goal weights.

Welcome back Steve.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,028 Member
    Options
    @steveOmania Hey Steve it's great that your back. I'm around 20 lbs up after hovering around 300 lbs which was way over the weight I need to be but after I had lost 100 lbs.

So we are glad your back as I always was inspired by your post and inspiration to many of us. Welcome Back! and yes I'm also my WI is still Friday.

SW 400.8
    CW 318.0
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

82.8 lbs Total lost
  • manladdvm
    manladdvm Posts: 8,699 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Steve0!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Another 'welcome back' from me, Steve! You've already ridden this bicycle so if your mind's in the right place, I suspect you'll get the results you're looking for. I have long-admired long-term maintainers like you--great examples for me of what can be accomplished over time. In my relatively short time, I plug along day after day but there's not enough year after years yet for me to prove to myself I can do it too. However, I do subscribe to the one-day-at-a-time philosophy. I take care of the day and let it create weeks and months--eventually years.

Anyway, the word of caution I would offer on the Freestyle plan is not to overdo it with the freebies. My meeting leader stresses eating them to satisfaction, not to the point of being stuffed.

Reducing alcohol for me has been a must-do to accomplish and maintain the weight loss, which is not to say I haven't regained a few pounds myself. But I know it's nothing compared to what it would be if I went back to my old eating and drinking habits (and oh--did they ever go hand-in-hand!).

For me, the bottom line has become I enjoy life more in a smaller body. I still remember the chore of hauling my sorry *kitten* around weighing an additional 80 pounds. I can live with the five I've fluctuated between since reaching goal but any more than that (and I'd prefer less), is a no-go for me today. And that's all I worry about--well, maybe today and tomorrow.

Great to have you back. I look forward to your insights!
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Steve. "Whew, at least I have over 200 posts. You will all be able to talk to me now!" I had forgotten about those rules. Thank for the memories!
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the welcomes! To be honest, I've still floated around on the MFP GOAD site on-and-off, but I haven't paid for WW for a long time. C'est la vie. It will be worth the small financial outlay if I can "retune" my eating again.

I spent some time perusing the new program information on-line. I'm surprised that there isn't that much detail, but I do recognize that the latest program seems to really *push* you towards healthier eating by carrots and sticks. Zero points for the healthiest options, and lots of points for the less-healthy options. You may recall that I am a firm believer in the standard calories in versus calories out model, and that hasn't changed. But...I will admit that I recognize the benefit of teaching people healthier habits overall, and it's easier to take in fewer calories if you tend to stay with the healthier foods.

I haven't (yet) spent time trying to understand the underlying equations for points, etc., like I used to enjoy doing. Perhaps I won't bother this time, and will just let myself follow the rules instead of trying to sort out all of the details. Or maybe not. ;-)

I did see that my usual wine/snack combo is mostly my full day's worth of points! Ouch! No wonder I wasn't losing! Ha ha.

I get 23 points per day and 35 weeklies. It's so hard to compare with the old numbers because the values have changed so much, and there are truly so many zero-point foods!

And Imastar (Derrick, right?), I set my official weigh-in to Friday too (like I used to have it)!
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, SteveO!
  • beachwoman2006
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I get 23 points per day and 35 weeklies. It's so hard to compare with the old numbers because the values have changed so much, and there are truly so many zero-point foods!

How did you get 35 weeklies??? I get 23 points a day and only 21 weeklies :(

UPDATE: I just "chatted" with one of the customer service people. Apparently weekly points are now personalized by gender, age, height, and weight too.