Chronic hyponatremia

Options
Hi all. I'm 31 and suffer from severe chronic hyponatremia. I usually have ramen with soy in it just to keep it up to 134. If i eat regularly it drops fast. It's gotten down to 124 in a few days and landed me in the hospital for stroke like activity. My question is, is low carb a bad diet for me? I heard it washes out electrolytes.

Replies

• scarlett624kh
    scarlett624kh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    By "it" I mean sodium. Sorry.
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would discuss this with your doctor but it would be of major concern to me as low carb diets flush fluids fairly rapidly and require sodium to replenish electrolytes.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You simply must supplement sodium. Every single day.
    A person without a chronic low sodium condition on keto is recommended to supplement 5000-7000mg of sodium a day.
    You may need more under the circumstances.
    I simply swallow salt crystals like a bunch of tiny pills a few times a day. Some people like to drink salty broth. Others like to buy sodium chloride tablets that are 1000mg each for the simplicity of it.
    It’s just a matter of taking in more sodium.
    The low carb diet isn’t going to be bad for you. The low sodium will be. Supplementation is the remedy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I do not know what causes your chronic condition, but I have heard of someone with a similar issue WITHOUT formal diagnosis addressing her body's seeming in ability to hold in sodium by addressing her blood calcium/D3/K2 levels. I don't know if this is a standard treatment, or if it might help you at all, but I just wanted to share the information so that you could research it yourself and discuss with your medical team.