Help for fast weight loss

CryingBlue
CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
Sorry, please don't roll your eyes when you read my title. I'm doing a healthywage contest and I'm getting near the end of my time. Basically I need to lose another 22lbs in 14 weeks.

I have been doing keto since August, lost 40 pounds and I'm feeling great. But this past two months I have only lost 4 more pounds. I noramlly would be thrilled with this but with money on the line I need to get the scale moving faster again.
Some stats, in female, 5'4", 164lbs
I need to get down to 142 by May 10th.
I have been eating 1200 to 1400 calories per day, staying with in 20 to 30g of carbs.
I also started 21 day fix exercise program (I don't follow their eating)
And I hike about 10 miles per week with a 25-30 pound pack.

When I was losing the fastest I was doing alternet day fasting, should I go back to that?
I stopped the fasting days because I started exercising more.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Let me make sure I understand this - you want to eat 1200-1400 calories every other day? And you want to sustain that for 4 months?
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    You may want to try a detox and then a fasting diet.

IDK what your weight is or your goal weight is but all of that exercise and only a 4lb loss tells me maybe you have hit your equilibrium weight. if you try to go below equilibrium without weight lifting you will likely lose LBM

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    You may want to try a detox and then a fasting diet.

IDK what your weight is or your goal weight is but all of that exercise and only a 4lb loss tells me maybe you have hit your equilibrium weight. if you try to go below equilibrium without weight lifting you will likely lose LBM

CryingBlue wrote: »

... Some stats, in female, 5'4", 164lbs
    I need to get down to 142 by May 10th.

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    You're definitely in starvation mode. Try eating something. You're body is hanging on to fat for dear life and is likely going to town on your LBM.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Please please please DO NOT combine fasting with calorie restriction. It’s supposed to be one or the other. Not both.

I started at 165 and lost down to 140 and it took me about 4 months and I was losing quite fast.
    Honestly, I think you’ve set your goal too high.
    The only actionable advice I can offer is to throw in a couple days a week of protein sparing modified fasting.
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/2017/06/17/psmf/

You do not combine this with calorie restricted days. You eat at TDEE every normal day and follow PSMF on fasting days. It will help to prevent muscle loss which you will need for long term metabolic health. Especially if you want to be able to maintain your new weight easily.

• CryingBlue
    You're definitely in starvation mode. Try eating something. You're body is hanging on to fat for dear life and is likely going to town on your LBM.

As far as I understand, starvation mode is a myth. However adaptive thermogenesis is real.
  • CryingBlue
    Let me make sure I understand this - you want to eat 1200-1400 calories every other day? And you want to sustain that for 4 months?

No I was doing alternet day fasting before, I would eat 1 day of 500 calories and the next around 1800.
    I'm now eating 1200 to 1400 daily because I got tired of the fasting days. But I'm not losing much now. So I'm wondering about going back to it. I norally would have no interest in doing this fast but I have $1500 on the line
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    A few options to research for yourself and consider:

- Fat Fast (1200 or less cals/day & under 10 NET carbs) *only do this for a max of 5 days at a time
    - Intermittent Fasting (which you could do along with the fat fast) I like Intermittent Fasting because I still get to eat every day
    - Exercise LESS - your body might just be rebelling, and on the keto diet, you really don't need to exercise - however if you decide to do intermittent fasting, you could try exercising in a fasted state - right before you break your fast....
    - Check to see if you're eating certain foods that could be prohibiting you from losing weight (dairy, nuts, too many non-sugar sweeteners, etc.)

Good Luck!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    CryingBlue wrote: »

As far as I understand, starvation mode is a myth. However adaptive thermogenesis is real.

Right. :+1:
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Starvation mode is a bunch of baloney. To lose faster, eat less and/or burn more, in whichever way works best for you. IF is a very effective approach, especially when combined with ketosis.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Check out Lyle McDonald's PSMF.
    Also since this is a contest, you could look in to cutting strategies that MMA people use before a weigh-in. Example: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-79935.html
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Also have you recalibrated your macro and caloric needs lately? 40 lb loss will make a big difference in the amount of calories needed for your basic metabolism..... Just something to think about.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    If you can see an endocrinologist. They will do a metabolism test and let you know of things that can speed up the loss. That’s not an impossible target but considering you already lost a lot, and still losing a good 4 pounds per month, it will be challenging. Fat fasting might get you there but it would be best to have advice from a med prof looking at your tests. Remember hard workouts increase water mass temporarily. Maybe also figure out fat/muscle weight to see how feasible this is. If you might be emotionally or physically get too distressed by this remember it’s not worth the money.