Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
We hit 50,000 members today.
50038 to be exact.

What a great group!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's about doubled since I joined. :)
  • Jakiepaper
    Jakiepaper Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hmmm? Wonder if we’re on to something?!?! lol!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I distinctly remember hitting 10k members and thinking it was a huge deal. Lol
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Awwww. I missed it. I've been watching but had to take a kid to pick up glasses this afternoon. WAHOOOO!!! :drinker:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    So where are we meeting up for THE KETOPARTAY??? :p
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I am wondering how many are still around? Seems MFP only adds never drops members. At least there is an active, varied group of regular posters out of that number.

The support given here and the laughs as well, have gotten me over many a rough spot since I joined. Wouldn't be in maintenance without this, the ladies lcd group, and 2 ketodudes' forums. And of course eating keto/lchf.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I wanted to make a script to pull every member's profile and delete members who haven't been logged in for 2 years or whose accounts no longer exist.

But, it would be a pain in the butt and counter-productive. Unless every group has very old and inactive members removed, reducing our numbers would drop us lower on the popular groups list and make it harder to find us.

At any one time, I suspect we have 1k to 10k active members. It is hard to narrow it down more than that, because we have tons of lurkers.
  • 123sind
    123sind Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like to just read on here must times, but then leave a message just to let you know i am here o:) well done to our 50k+ it shows there is plenty of ppl interested in keto diet .
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    JMLSZ wrote: »
    And some of us come back after a long time! :)

Yeah, it wouldn't be a good thing to remove a bunch of people. There is no upside. But, there is a part of me that is curious to know how many people are active here. I know the vast majority of people don't post. I remember when I first joined; I was intimidated about posting because I wasn't sure of my place. It was a much smaller group at the time. It would be even more intimidating now.

We try to encourage people to post, even if we have to answer the same question we answered 100 times before. Searching the group isn't easy to do/find. At least it is possible now. Speaking of possible: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10038260/10-000-members-december-29-2014-11-19am-edt There is the 10,000 members post!
  • FIT_Goat
    edited January 2018
    Options
    And proof that I was a data junkie! I found a post where I showed my graph of my first year (keto and then carnivore). I wasn't openly carnivore, and that big bump right before week 40? That was my month-long artificial sweetener experiment. The peak, where it starts to drop again, is when I went carnivore.
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Yeah, I used a simple spreadsheet based on a constant percentage of the excess lost. What's interesting, when I put in my actual trend weights and starting weight (plus my initial rate after about a month), I get the following match for my first year of keto.

8u9ygxgncghp.png

I used the following information:

Start weight: 92.5 kg (204 lbs)
    Start fat mass: 27.9 kg (61.4 lbs)
    Rate of loss: 0.78 kg/week (1.7 lbs/week) -- this was the average rate of loss at week 5
    Goal weight: 68.5 kg (151 lbs)

What is interesting is how much this relates to the actual weight loss over the year. I can't continue it from there, I don't have an easy way to get the information into this format. This doesn't really relate to calories or the BMR tables. It's more about the relationship between total fat and the amount lost from it each week.

It was a pretty close relationship. The predicted weight would be 71 kg, I was at 70.7 kg. Of course, taking a different week to the initial rate of loss would give me different results. Take my average rate at week 6 (which was a bump up) and you end up almost 4 kg off by the end. Other weeks give me a full kg/week loss rate, which puts the estimate a couple kg too low. So, really, we have a 10 pound range of error over a year. That's pretty darn good, best we can expect.

From a distance, that graph looks so smooth. But, I remember that zooming in to a month or week would show that it wasn't a constant journey downwards like it seems.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm still here. What more do you need? Kidding. But, in fact, many, many people who were active on here a few years ago are nowhere to be found, now.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This forum has been a huge help to me. We've got so many awesome members. :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Some of us are inconsistent at checking and posting - but I am generally at least skimming through at least once a week. Posting less frequently now unless I see a question in an area where I have really spent a lot of time researching and there is a lot of misinformation- like cholesterol.