Smells?!

Options
Last two days I been smelling a unpleasant smell, like (too me) cat urine and I am a bit paranoid as I do have a cat , my sister who lives with me doesn't smell anything. So I was wondering if it's from myself, I do know that ketone can make you smell can anyone inform me that this is what I am smelling?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'd say it is likely what you are smelling. It is often described as a smell similar to cat urine, ammonia or nail polish remover. I've not found a scientific explanation for it but am sure one probably exists. There are comments about it all over the internet so it seems to be pretty common. The smell reminds me of my grandpa or dad coming in from work hot and sweaty having probably not eaten for hours.

For the Mary Katherine Gallagher (Saturday Night Live) fans who would stick her fingers under her armpits...

twhnoy4b56ep.gif

• ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So is that a sign I am in ketosis?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If being in ketosis is important, the better way to determine if you are is via a blood ketone test. Reportedly body odor that smells like acetone, cat litter, ammonia is an indication that you may be in ketosis. Some people report foul or fruity smelling breath or a metallic taste in their mouth when in ketosis.

If you are eating very low carb (i.e. <20 grams/day) you are also likely to be in ketosis.

• cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Is there a remedy that doesn't involve increasing carbs? Given, regular good hygiene is not quite enough.
  • ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks , so far I don't smell anything today.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    cgcrutch wrote: »
    Is there a remedy that doesn't involve increasing carbs? Given, regular good hygiene is not quite enough.

Unfortunately, no. Some people's body's give off the acetone scent via breath/sweat/pee, etc. while others don't. I'm one of the lucky ones in that while I'm usually in nutritional ketosis 98% of the time, my body doesn't give off the unpleasant smells sometimes associated with this way of eating.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I had the sweet smelling breath. It made me crave candy! LOL! Just know, that eventually that will go away. Might take a couple of weeks, but it will subside. You won't have to go thru life smelling like that!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    The smells come about as part of the metabolic break-down of fats into ketones. One of the by-products is acetone and acetone containing by-products and that is what causes the smell. The good news is that as your body becomes fat-adapted (using fats for fuel instead of glucose), there will be fewer ketones that need to be disposed of as waste products, thus decreasing or eliminating the smells.