Let's get to know each other!

Options
evilfairies
evilfairies Posts: 98 Member
Hey guys! I love this group that has come together, so I thought it would be fun to ask some non-MFP questions so we can get to know each other a bit better! I don't know about you guys but I love filling out these kinds of things :D

I just came up with some questions of the top of my head, so I'm adding an opportunity for you guys to add questions too as we go along, so be sure to check out everyone's responses for more questions!

1. Where are you from?
2. What are you currently binge watching on Netflix / Hulu / etc?
3. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be?
4. Where is the best place you've ever traveled? OR Where would your dream vacation be?
5. What are your favorite movies / books / tv shows?
6. What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given? OR Who inspires you the most?
7. What do you love about yourself?
8. If you won $1mil but could only spend it in one store, where would you spend it?
9. What do you most like to do in your spare time?
10. What question would you like to have people answer?

Replies

• evilfairies
    Options
    1. Where are you from? I live near Boston, MA

2. What are you currently binge watching on Netflix / Hulu / etc? I'm re-watching Parks and Rec because it always makes me smile. After that I'll probably watch Black Mirror.

3. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be? Brussels Sprouts, because I'm an acquired taste :lol:

4. Where is the best place you've ever traveled? OR Where would your dream vacation be? I went to London several years ago and loved it. If I could go anywhere now though, I'd love to go to Germany!

5. What are your favorite movies / books / tv shows? Favorite Movie is Princess Bride; TV Show is Saturday Night Live (or Breaking Bad if I feel like being inspired to cook meth); Book is Gone with the Wind, Outlander, Water for Elephants, any historical fiction really.

6. What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given? OR Who inspires you the most? After I fell off the bandwagon, I told a friend that I was going to start again tomorrow. And she said no. Start now. Because "tomorrow" is so easy to put off, but if I start now, I start now.

7. What do you love about yourself? I make people laugh at work a lot (though being the funniest accountant maybe isn't the world's greatest achievement :joy:

8. If you won $1mil but could only spend it in one store, where would you spend it? I asked this question but now I regret it because I have no idea! I don't want to say Amazon because that's cheating. Maybe a book store? Or Target. One of those!

9. What do you most like to do in your spare time? I love to read, and I spent way too much time watching Netflix than I should. I've started getting into crocheting, and I would like to eventually start writing short stories, blogs, etc.

10. What question would you like to have people answer? I'll leave that up to you guys!
  • NicoleVT83
    NicoleVT83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Vermont
    The Mindy Project on Hulu
    Eggplant - love purple and it’s kinda my shape
    Tropical Islands, love to cruise, going again in September
    Love Stories, Dramas, Comedy, Medical for Tv Shows, Movies and Books
    Don’t really have advice that is my favorite, I like searching Pinterest for small motivation blurbs
    I’m bossy, positive, smart, organized
    Target or Walmart
    I like to watch tv, go to movies, travel, spend time with family & friends, play or cuddle with my 3 mini dachshunds
    Favorite Healthy Meal?
  • CheezWhiz88
    CheezWhiz88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    1. I live in New Jersey (please don’t judge me. No one here talks, acts or dresses like they do on that horrid show).
    2. Sons of Anarchy and The Punisher
    3. Cauliflower. I have no reasoning except it’s pale like me.
    4. Spain. Dream vacation would probably be Italy.
    5. Movies: Requiem for a Dream and One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. Books: Night by Elie Wiesel. TV Shows: Walking Dead, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel
    6. My mother once said to me, “Don’t ever stop trying to be the best version of yourself. You owe yourself that much always.”
    7. I love that I have surrounded myself with wonderful people.
    8. Target or World Market
    9. I love spending time with my dog. She is huge and sweet and a ton of fun to be around.
    10. Favorite healthy meal: vanilla protein shake with pb2 powder. It’s my lunch every day
  • gin_rummy
    gin_rummy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    1. Where are you from? England

2. What are you currently binge watching on Netflix / Hulu / etc? I'm re-watching Breaking Bad and Friends as my brain is too overloaded to focus on anything new right now!

3. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be? that's an odd question.....I've always had difficulty with vegetables (veggietroubles) and I do eat enough but not a huge variety.....I'm going to say beetroot: (down to) earthy, a bit sweet, I go underground (introverted) and it's purple.

4. Where is the best place you've ever traveled? OR Where would your dream vacation be? I love Italy, have spent my last 3 holidays there (although I've been there many more times than that!) and would love to live there one day! The food, the wine, the scenery, the architecture, the people.....amazing! Thailand was also incredible but the heat was a challenge.

5. What are your favorite movies / books / tv shows? Oh gosh, too many to list! I used to say my all time favourite movie is Moulin Rouge but I've seen so many amazing ones in the last few years that I don't know anymore.....that's still the one I've seen most times though, I stopped counting after 100 viewings! For books I'll go with favourite authors, and it's a broad range - Daphne duMaurier, Dean Koontz, Stephen Fry, Evelyn Waugh, the Brontes, Elizabeth Gilbert, Alexandre Dumas.....I could probably go on!

6. What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given? OR Who inspires you the most? I'm wracking my brain on this one and struggling. I think the only people who have ever truly inspired me are YOU GUYS! MFP has been a lifeline for me over the last year, I've been through some really difficult stuff without much of a support network (or any at all) in the real world, and the people on here have inspired me to continue this weightloss journey and to be kind to myself. Seeing what some of you have achieved is a real inspiration on a task that seems insurmountable!

7. What do you love about yourself? My cooking! I just wish I could find more time/energy/drive to do it properly on a daily basis.

8. If you won $1mil but could only spend it in one store, where would you spend it? I'm going to try and be clever here and say THE BANK! :D

9. What do you most like to do in your spare time? I bake celebration cakes to order for friends and family (a nightmare hobby when trying to lose weight!), I love theatre although don't get to go as much as I did when I lived in London of course, I'm a board game geek (although lacking local players!) and when time and weather allow I like taking a weekend away to go walking in the peak district. At the moment though I am spending most of my non-work time on trying to bring some order to the chaos that is my house - clearing out years and years of clutter! It's a HUGE job!

10. Favourite healthy meal? Anything that still has lots of flavour and satiety. A frequent one for me is called "little black dress soup" (I didn't name it!) - chicken stock with dry-fried chicken breast, chestnut mushrooms, ginger, chilli, lemongrass, garlic, coriander, thai fish sauce, a teaspoon of sugar, spring onions and whatever greens I have to hand. In 15 minutes I can make a batch for a whole week's lunches at less than 150 calories per portion!
  • gin_rummy
    Options

7. What do you love about yourself? I make people laugh at work a lot (though being the funniest accountant maybe isn't the world's greatest achievement :joy:

You manage to make accountants laugh????? That's a hell of an achievement!!!!!

(I used to be one.....escaped 2 weeks ago!)
  • GothicsDarkAngel
    GothicsDarkAngel Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    1. Where are you from? Buffalo, NY
    2. What are you currently binge watching on Netflix / Hulu / etc? Nothing, BUT I'm waiting on Handmaids Tale
    3. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be? Brocolli
    4. Where is the best place you've ever traveled? OR Where would your dream vacation be? Jamaica
    5. What are your favorite movies / books / tv shows? For TV....Rosanne
    6. What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given? OR Who inspires you the most? Let Go and Let God (still working on this one).
    7. What do you love about yourself? My brain.
    8. If you won $1mil but could only spend it in one store, where would you spend it? If we are considering Amazon as cheating....I'd go for walmart.
    9. What do you most like to do in your spare time? Binge on Youtube
    10. What question would you like to have people answer? Why this time?
  • CheezWhiz88
    Options
    5. What are your favorite movies / books / tv shows? For TV....Rosanne

Awesome show. I grew up feeling especially socially out of place until I watched that show and realized I was Darlene- through and through.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1. Portland, OR
    2. CSI Las Vegas and All Hail King Julien (which I keep watching over and over because I find it hilarious though I am 39 and the only person I know who watches it is my 11 year old neighbor boy)
    3. A mushroom because they were seriously cute and happy in Fantasia.
    4. Dream vacation would be Bruges Belgium because a DVD extra of the film In Bruges had a seriously cute tourism board style video of that city and it looks amazing. And I speak French.
    5. Favorite tv show of all time Buffy and Angel but Farscape is a contender. Book is prob Aunts Aren't Gentlemen by Wodehouse.
    6. Pat Summit's Definite Dozen.
    7. Oddly, almost everything but my weight. I find myself hilarious.
    8. I dont have a favorite store so I'll change this up. Ok, if I won 100 million in the lottery, i would immediately get rid of all of it except for buying a house and putting aside money for taxes and house maintenance. That money doesn't make anyone happy and people end up with more problems than before, so I see it as bad money you have to get rid of quick before it messes with your brains. So I'd do something philanthropic with it or, more likely, try to pay Joss Whedon to get people together for a Buffy/Angel reunion movie where everything is magically ok again. Because I am a lunatic and it's too late to finance Hellboy 3 :)
    9. Read, swim, do nerd stuff, watch netflix, get lost down am information hole in the internets. Hang with my dog.
    10. I think @GothicsDarkAngel had a good one. Why now?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

1. Where are you from? West Virginia (born, raised, and educated here, but was exiled in PA for 13 years because I had to leave to find a job. But I've managed at last to get back across the border!)

2. What are you currently binge watching on Netflix / Hulu / etc? I don't watch TV and haven't had cable in years. I haven't found a modern tv show that I like in a long time. However, I do have some of my older favorites on DVD, and the last one that I actually bing-watched was the 1989 Family Channel series "Bordertown" and found that I still loved the show as much now as I did as a 9 year old girl :)

3. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be? potato - I'm large and not proportional, plain and dumpy, and spend way too much time sitting around.....

4. Where is the best place you've ever traveled? OR Where would your dream vacation be? I loved the Grand Tetons in Wyoming and Bar Harbor, Maine. I'm determined to go to Glacier National Park one of these days, and to Durango, Colorado. I'd love to visit the back country of British Columbia, too! Outside the country, I'd like to visit Ireland, Wales, and Scotland, maybe Iceland and Germany. I love mountains and would much rather vacation in the mountains than go to the beach!

5. What are your favorite movies / books / tv shows? Oh heavens, this list could go on forever!
    Books:
    - I'm a Tolkien fan and even read the Silmarillion (though the proper fans would tar and feather me as I also loved the movies and have all sorts of the merchandise made for it from video games, board games, etc. Though I'm cringing at the idea of Amazon's tv series.......)
    - I also love Louis L'Amour westerns, with my favorites being the Kilkenny trilogy and the ones involving Tell Sackett
    - I read a lot of Christian apologetics and Christian fiction, though I'm leaning way more toward historical or fantasy these days than I did in the past. I love CS Lewis's Mere Christianity as a non-fiction book
    - I was a huge Hardy Boys fan as a child
    - Right now almost all my reading time is devoted to fanfiction lol
    - One secular series that I adore is Drew Hayes Spell, Swords, and Stealth series. If you've ever played D&D or know anything about fantasy pen and paper RPGs, you'll get the humor of this series, though I enjoyed it because it doesn't take itself serious and enjoys poking fun at the genre in a light-hearted way. That and i just love the characters, from the gnome-ex.minion turned paladin, to the former city guard turned burglar, to the orc who becomes the magic caster, to the mayor's daughter - former kidnapping victim turned beserker warrior :smile: My only gripe is that the language is rather salty at times, which is why I won't buy the audio books to listen to on long trips. It's easier to mentally skip a word when reading through a paragraph quickly than to skip hearing it spoken!

Movies:
    -LOTR & the Hobbit are my top favorites hands down.
    -I dearly, dearly loved Return to Snowy River as well (better than Man from Snowy River)

TV Shows:
    -the old family channel Border Town and The New World Zorro (NOT the Disney version)
    -Bonanza, Big Valley, and the 90's Magnificent Seven
    -I still enjoy the 80's A-Team as well once in a while
    -the Animaniac's cartoon show from the 90's - I STILL love that cartoon series!
    -I'll occasionally get in the mood for the 90's Highlander TV series (hated every single one of the movies that my friend had me watch, but loved the tv show)

6. What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given? OR Who inspires you the most? the one I cling to is the old maxim "This too shall pass"

7. What do you love about yourself? um, my imagination?

8. If you won $1mil but could only spend it in one store, where would you spend it? easy - Lowe's or Home Depot. I'm a new home owner who had to gut and totally remodel the place and I have a list a mile long of things I still want to do :)

9. What do you most like to do in your spare time? my guilty pleasure is LOTRO or the original Battle for Middle Earth Game. I recently dug out my PS2 for LOTR: Third Age (get the theme here? lol) Though I do like the western strategy game Desperadoes a lot, too. If I'm not playing video games, then I'm reading way, way too much fan fiction. But what I tend to spend most of my spare time doing is plotting stories, inventing characters, and trying to create a fictional world of my own so I can spin off my characters and my friend's characters into their own world and their own story.

I'd love to try pen and paper RPGs, but I don't know of anyone in my area who do that, and I'd want a game that would be kept relatively clean, anyway.

10. What question would you like to have people answer? What is an interest or hobby that you have that you enjoy but are rather embarrassed when most people find out about it?

For me, its definitely the interest in RPG's and the whole spending so much of my time plotting stories and characters and such. I don't really work or live in a community that is overly inspirational for imaginary endeavors like that. It's a more traditional, down-home kind of place. I love it, but yeah, some of my interests don't really fit in.

Oh, and the fan-fiction reading thing. yeah, that's rather hard to explain, especially at my age :) 90% of my plots that I play with are related to fan fiction.....
  • evilfairies
    Options
    gin_rummy wrote: »

You manage to make accountants laugh????? That's a hell of an achievement!!!!!

(I used to be one.....escaped 2 weeks ago!)

You escaped the never-ending joy of bookkeeping???

(Please tell me your secrets :joy: )
  • rabidhamster87
    rabidhamster87 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great idea for the thread! I'm loving reading everyone's answers. Okay... here goes mine!

1. Where are you from? Grew up in Memphis, TN. Currently living a grand 15 miles away in Southaven, MS!

2. What are you currently binge watching on Netflix / Hulu / etc? I'm on a Coupling kick right now. It's an older show, but still pretty funny. I'll binge anything that's quality comedy from 30 Rock to Parks and Rec to the IT Crowd! Brooklyn 99 was surprisingly good too.

3. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be? Probably a tomato because it's round, squishy, and really a fruit!

4. Where is the best place you've ever traveled? OR Where would your dream vacation be? I've been lucky enough to go to the Bahamas three times now. Once when I was 11 and then twice more in the last 5 years. The water is just beautiful there and the people seem very friendly and nice! I wish I was better traveled though. I guess The Bahamas has to be my answer when it's the most exotic place I've been.

Movies: He's Just Not That Into You. I know it's a stupid rom-com, but it has a FANTASTIC message! I can't tell you how many guys I got hung up on in my late teens and early 20's when I should've just told myself, "He's just not that into you!" and moved the hell on. This stupid rom-com seriously helped me get my head on straight. Also, Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Books: I love sci fi and fantasy. If I had to list my favorites they would probably be Ender's Game, Harry Potter, and The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet.

TV Shows: I guess I kind of covered that above. Pretty much all comedies are all my favorites.

6. What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given? OR Who inspires you the most? It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop.

7. What do you love about yourself? I have a lot of flaws, but I like that I'm honest and I'm usually very good about not gossiping. I hate the idea of people talking about me behind my back, so I do my best not to be that person either.

8. If you won $1mil but could only spend it in one store, where would you spend it? Since I can't cheat by listing my favorite store (Amazon,) I'll cheat by saying I would spend it all somewhere like a car dealership! Then I could turn around and sell the cars I bought for a quick, tidy profit that I could spend anywhere. ;)

9. What do you most like to do in your spare time? I play a lot of video games. Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, Stardew Valley, MASS EFFECT!, The Sims 3... I could go on.

10. Favourite healthy meal? Shrimp cocktail! It's so delicious, full of protein, and like 10 calories per shrimp, but it's also kind of expensive...

11. Why this time? The perfect storm kind of happened for me. I came into enough money recently that I was able to pay off the majority of my credit card debt which helped relieve a huge amount of stress and depression and then my fiance agreed to have his vasectomy reversed so that we could start trying for kids soon. I finally started to feel hopeful again for the first time in years... Hope is really important.

12. What is an interest or hobby that you have that you enjoy but are rather embarrassed when most people find out about it? I usually don't admit that I like video games. I feel like people are either going to A. judge me for being a 30 year old woman who is into what most people consider a childish hobby or B. try to challenge my "gamerness" by asking a bunch of questions that I may or may not know the answer to.

13. What question would you like to have people answer? What do you do for a living?

@GothicsDarkAngel & @CheezWhiz88 I seriously don't think I've met other people who adore Roseanne before! I loved that show growing up because it was just so REAL, but still made you laugh. I mean their living room looked almost just like ours down to the afghan blanket on the couch and Dan Conner is basically my dad. Are y'all excited about the new season that's coming out??

@theowlbox Farscape... high five! If you win the 100 million lottery, I volunteer myself for the unburdening of your money though.

• GothicsDarkAngel
    GothicsDarkAngel Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    @rabidhamster87 I want to be enthusiastic about the relaunch...but generally speaking, they never go over well. So we shall see. I will always cling to the first 8 seasons.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I will always love the pre lottery winning years of Roseanne, but especially because Glenn Quinn went on to be Doyle in Angel! It all comes together!
    siki784duwmu.gif
  • CheezWhiz88
    Options
    theowlbox wrote: »
    I will always love the pre lottery winning years of Roseanne, but especially because Glenn Quinn went on to be Doyle in Angel! It all comes together!
    siki784duwmu.gif

two of my favorite shows right there. Have you watched How I Met Your Mother? It’s like a whose who of Buffy and Angel actors!
  • cassie9393
    cassie9393 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1. Where are you from? I consider home to be Kansas but moved to South Carolina about a year and a half ago.

2. What are you currently binge watching on Netflix / Hulu / etc? I am rewatching Grey's Anatomy right now. I also have Friends queued up pretty much all the time for something that is familiar and sure to make me laugh.

3. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be? A potato... because I'm versatile?

4. Where is the best place you've ever traveled? OR Where would your dream vacation be? I've been to Eurasia and Germany and would love to go back to Germany for a longer period, but I'd so love to take a long Mediterranean cruise!

Movies: Someone Like You. I love dumb romantic comedies that make you feel good... @rabidhamster87 I couldn't agree more about He's Just not That Into You after watching, I found myself realizing how much truth there was in those relationships!

Books: I love classics by Austen and the Brontes, Harry Potter I've seriously read at least ten times, and each time I swear I catch another sly thing Rowling said or did, and she's also written some detective stories under Robert Galbraith that are great.

TV Shows: I like watching sports if that counts?

6. What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given? OR Who inspires you the most? I'm going with the golden rule here: treat others how you want to be treated.

7. What do you love about yourself? My independence.

8. If you won $1mil but could only spend it in one store, where would you spend it? uhhh... I don't really shop except online. I guess it would have to be a home store of some kind.

9. What do you most like to do in your spare time? read, chill with my dog, apparently do quizzes on MFP. :smile:

10. Favourite healthy meal? chicken taco soup. It's filling and plenty of vegetables can be thrown in, spicy and warm.

11. Why this time? honestly, no idea. Just felt a switch and decided now is as good of a time as any.

12. What is an interest or hobby that you have that you enjoy but are rather embarrassed when most people find out about it? ha, my love of terrible movies that I already shared above.

13. What do you do for a living? I'm a supervisor in a chemistry lab.

14. What question would you like to have people answer? If you could have lunch with a person, dead or alive, who would it be?

• crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    1. Where are you from? Lakeland, Florida

2. What are you currently binge watching on Netflix / Hulu / etc? The Golden Girls, That 70's Show, and Bob Ross (It relaxes me.). I've always got a few shows in rotation, though- Friends, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Doctor Who, and Star Trek: Voyager are among them.

3. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be? A potato. Because potatoes make me laugh. I don't even know why. It's weird.

4. Where is the best place you've ever traveled? OR Where would your dream vacation be? The best place I've ever traveled is the island of Oahu because we lived there for 4 years. My dream vacation is the Son Doong Cave in Vietnam.

5. What are your favorite movies / books / tv shows? Favorite movie- Coneheads, Favorite book- Ready Player One or Jane Eyre, Favorite tv shows- Doctor Who, Star Trek, Malcolm in the Middle

6. What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given? OR Who inspires you the most? The best advice I've been given is something I actually read in the MFP forums. I'll have to paraphrase, but it was something like weight loss is the byproduct of healthy habits. Make the healthy habits your goal and the weight loss will follow.

7. What do you love about yourself? I'm a crafty, artistic kind of person. I cry at the dumbest stuff including tons of commercials... but I love it! People seem to always be opening up to me. Including random strangers. Wherever I go people just start talking to me and telling me stuff about themselves. It seems like stuff they want to get off their chest or just things they can't tell others. It's weird, but I love that people feel comfortable with me even when they've never met me. And I love listening to whatever it is they have to say. I just like hearing people out and being that shoulder to cry on, ear to listen, whatever. I must have a friendly face?

8. If you won $1mil but could only spend it in one store, where would you spend it? The practical side of me says Walmart or Target because they have all the essentials and some fun stuff too. The me side of me says Michael's because think of the craft hoard you could have!

9. What do you most like to do in your spare time? I like to go walking.

10. What question would you like to have people answer? Favorite music, song, or artist/band? My favorite music is 90's alternative. My favorite band is a tie between Garbage and Third Eye Blind. Favorite song varies every few months, but I'd probably have to say "When I Grow Up" by Garbage.

11. Favourite healthy meal? I think any meal can be "healthy" if it fits your calorie goals. So, I'll answer what my favorite meal is and that is chili.

12. Why this time? Because I was finally able to admit that I'm an alcoholic and deal with that issue. It is the one thing that has kept me from getting my life together in the past decade.

13. What is an interest or hobby that you have that you enjoy but are rather embarrassed when most people find out about it? I don't have any interests or hobbies that I find embarrassing, but maybe they aren't super mainstream. I love watching videos of people exploring abandoned places. I wish I could explore abandoned places.

14. What do you do for a living? I am vision impaired and currently not working. My vision impairment makes it difficult for me because I cannot work at night (Legally not allowed to drive at night.) and I cannot function well in unfamiliar environments. I also have a lot of difficulty with screens, computers, etc.

15. If you could have lunch with a person, dead or alive, who would it be? Chris Farley
  • bmeadows380
    edited January 2018
    Options
    11. Why this time? The perfect storm kind of happened for me. I came into enough money recently that I was able to pay off the majority of my credit card debt which helped relieve a huge amount of stress and depression and then my fiance agreed to have his vasectomy reversed so that we could start trying for kids soon. I finally started to feel hopeful again for the first time in years... Hope is really important.

12. What is an interest or hobby that you have that you enjoy but are rather embarrassed when most people find out about it? I usually don't admit that I like video games. I feel like people are either going to A. judge me for being a 30 year old woman who is into what most people consider a childish hobby or B. try to challenge my "gamerness" by asking a bunch of questions that I may or may not know the answer to.

Depression is SUCH a horrible enemy. you are right - finding a little light in the darkness can sometimes make such a huge difference!

on the video games: I know! *grins* There's only a narrow set of games that I play, but am on the lookout for others, but it feels a little embarrassing to be going into Gamestop at my age, shopping for myself. I went to a nearby store this weekend on the advice of my brother - they have a huge selection of video games, from the original Nintendo up to the modern systems. Thankfully, the staff wasn't THAT much younger than I am :)

I also used to spend WAY too much time with LOTRO. However, right now, I can't afford to put hte internet in until I can get my old house sold and stop paying double utilities. :( I've got my PC set up at my parents' house, but the desk isn't comfortable to sit at for long periods, and dad plays the TV at top volume which just gets my on nerves. Oh well - I've got plenty to keep me busy in unpacking! and I did unpack my PS2 and my Wii....... lol

2. What are you currently binge watching on Netflix / Hulu / etc? The Golden Girls, That 70's Show, and Bob Ross (It relaxes me.). I've always got a few shows in rotation, though- Friends, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Doctor Who, and Star Trek: Voyager are among them.

7. What do you love about yourself? I'm a crafty, artistic kind of person. I cry at the dumbest stuff including tons of commercials... but I love it! People seem to always be opening up to me. Including random strangers. Wherever I go people just start talking to me and telling me stuff about themselves. It seems like stuff they want to get off their chest or just things they can't tell others. It's weird, but I love that people feel comfortable with me even when they've never met me. And I love listening to whatever it is they have to say. I just like hearing people out and being that shoulder to cry on, ear to listen, whatever. I must have a friendly face?

8. If you won $1mil but could only spend it in one store, where would you spend it? The practical side of me says Walmart or Target because they have all the essentials and some fun stuff too. The me side of me says Michael's because think of the craft hoard you could have!

Golden girls is my sister's favorite show; you'd get along fabulously lol

I understand about the crafting! I made the mistake of going into Jo Ann fabrics this weekend, looking for sunflower material to make placemats and such for my new kitchen. I was in there way too long, and walked out with material for a dress, several new patterns 'cause 99 cents each! though I've got a tub full of patterns......

I've got at least 2 tubs of material, another 2 or three of scraps 'cause they make excellent quilt square pieces and doll clothes, at least 1 of stuff that I need to get around to repairing, and then 4 of those large plastic drawer things and a couple of smaller ones filled with yarns and thread and ribbons and buttons and cross stitch supplies......I'm not sure where I'm going to put it all in the new house! lol

And with the new material, I'm really in the mood to dig out the sewing machine, which would be a good thing anyway, as I need to hem the front curtains for the kitchen.......

So yeah, I totally get the Michael's thing lol

• bmeadows380
    Options
    Just to catch up on some of the new questions:

11. Favourite healthy meal? hmmm. I don't necessarily have 1 favorite. I like a variety of soup recipes, and I have a couple of casseroles that I have gotten down to a decent health range. I have a turkey enchilada recipe that is wonderful, and a enchilada casserole made with ground turkey and topped with avocados that is good, too. For special occasions, I like a butternut squash lasagna recipe that I have.

12. Why this time? I can't say why this try finally worked after all the other failed attempts. My last success was in 2012 and I lost 90 lbs then counting calories, but gained it back after a stint with thyroid cancer and just carelessness and peer pressure, depression, and all around fatigue, mentally and physically.

but last winter, my dad was diagnosed with diabetes. My mom is up to a shot, though she's not on insulin yet, and my sister is diabetic. I wasn't diabetic yet or even approaching borderline, but knowing that I was considered insulin resistant due to PCOS and my obesity and with such a strong family tendency toward diabetes on my mom's side (all her siblings are diabetics, and many of her aunts and uncles and grandparents were too), I knew my risks were high and getting the higher the older I got. So I tried one more time, and thank the Good Lord, this time seemed to stick!

13. Favorite music, song, or artist/band? My favorite artist is Roger Whittaker - he was a folk/easy listening singer who started his career in the late 60's I think.

I also love movie soundtracks - all the LOTR and Hobbit soundtracks, Braveheart (I love the soundtrack but have never bothered seeing the movie lol), Last of the Mohicans, Glory (another that I've never seen the movie but loved the music), The Patriot (not a fan of hte movie but the music was great!), Return to Snowy River, and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves are the ones I listen to the most.

14. What do you do for a living? the piece of paper I got from college (was that really 14 years ago already?!!!!) says I'm supposed to be an electrical engineer, and I do work for the local power company. I took this position about half a year ago now, though I worked in a completely different department for hte same company for 10 years. I'm still not sure exactly what it is I'm supposed to be doing, though, which is horribly frustrating!

15. If you could have lunch with a person, dead or alive, who would it be? Jesus Christ, but if he doesn't count, then the apostle John - I've got a ton of questions I'd like to have answered that aren't filtered through 2,000 years of history! (and that's because Paul and Peter would probably be too intimidating......)

Secularly, perhaps CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien together (seeing as they were friends) to talk about the world creation process they used for Narnia and Middle Earth, history, linguistics, and seeing these two old friends interact with each other :grin:

Historically, Daniel Boone or Jedidiah Smith - I'd love to talk about the exploration process and what it was like to explore wide, wild, unknown lands and frontiers before all the settling down. I'd love to be able to backpack the back country and places wild and lonely :D
  • UnicornSmoothie
    UnicornSmoothie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was looking for a group that sort of fit me and you all seemed like a really great bunch, so I couldn't pass it up.

1. Where are you from?
    I currently live in Indiana, but I always tell people I am from Montana because that's where I was born and (mostly) raised and I miss it terribly.

2. What are you currently binge watching on Netflix / Hulu / etc?
    My PF has these awesome new machines that have Netflix available, so I watch Once Upon a Time while working out because it's almost the perfect amount of time for my walks right now and gives me a good yardstick to measure improvement by with every episode being right around the same length. At home, I tend to bounce around between things, but I mostly game instead of watching tv.

3. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be?
    Probably a carrot. I'm not sure why.

4. Where is the best place you've ever traveled? OR Where would your dream vacation be?
    Disney World. I had the opportunity to live in London for 4 months, and I really did love that. It was an incredible experience, but Disney World is my favorite place to be in the whole world. I love Disney.

For movies, as I said above, I love Disney. Books, I read mostly fantasy (Tolkien, Rowling, Mull.) My current favorite series is Fablehaven. I read it at least once a year. TV shows, again anything fantasy (except GoT) or sci-fi, or a little weird. I love Lost Girl, Supernatural, Once Upon a Time, Grimm... all that kind of stuff.

6. What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given? OR Who inspires you the most?
    Carrie Fisher inspires me the most. She was what she was, and she fought hard and she was so special and claimed her own existence whether people liked it or not. She is a constant reminder that people don't have to like me for my existence to be worth something.

7. What do you love about yourself?
    My creativity. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to most things and I have creative solutions to problems. I write and I roleplay and I think that being creative minded helps in lots of different aspects of my life.

8. If you won $1mil but could only spend it in one store, where would you spend it?
    Amazon xD. I wouldn't be able to decide between books and games, so I'd have to go someplace that I could get my grubby little mits on both.

9. What do you most like to do in your spare time?
    Video Games. I spend a lot of time at my computer because I write, but that time is compounded by video games. I love gaming. Currently I'm pretty hooked on WoW, but any RPG with a good story, fun abilities, and decent characters will do it for me. I also like survival games and building/crafting games like Minecraft, ARK, Rimworld, ONI, etc. I could talk about games all day.

10. Favorite music/band?
    I love My Chemical Romance. Their music still inspires me. Gerard still inspires me. I listen to it almost every day, and I cried... as a full grown adult woman, I cried when they broke up. I also really love Tokio Hotel and had the chance to meet them and it meant so much to me that they were generous, kind, open. It was a wonderful experience and their music is a driving force behind my creativity.

11. Why this time?
    I honestly can't answer that. I'm not sure what it was that clicked this time, but a friend and I decided at the same time that enough was enough and we were getting our butts in gear. We started as a NY resolution and have oddly stuck with it. I don't know why this time is different for me. All I know is that something finally clicked and I'm on the ball right now.

12. What is an interest or hobby that you have that you enjoy but are rather embarrassed when most people find out about it?
    I used to be embarrassed about a lot of things, but I've mostly gotten over that. I used to be embarrassed about playing D&D because I used to be one of like three girls that would go into our tabletop gaming store and that was embarrassing, but I got over that, too. Now not only do I play, but I DM from time to time. I guess, maybe... I still like cartoons, and I mean like cartoons aimed at kids. My Little Pony, Steven Universe, We Bare Bears... that kind of thing.

13. What do you do for a living?
    I'm a writer. I'm trying to get published. If that doesn't work I might self publish, but I spend my days writing.
  • gin_rummy
    Options

Somebody once told me - and I instantly realised the truth of it! - that buying craft supplies is a whole separate hobby in itself to actually doing crafts! :D:D:D

And I'm definitely a craft supply hoarder! Aside from my cake making, I currently crochet and dabble in jewellery making and pottery (although that's not one I can do at home!) When I eventually clear out my box room and set up a craft space I want to try polymer clay and start sewing.

Ok, new questions:

12. Why this time?
    That's a tricky one. A year ago I could have answered that very firmly, but since then "life" has happened.....I guess my motivation now is that I want to get off my fat *kitten* and go and do adventurous things! But that's hard to focus on when I have to lose so much before I meet the weight restrictions for even the gentler end of what I have in mind.

13. Favorite music, song, or artist/band? I probably have the most eclectic taste in music you'll ever find.....I enjoy a night at the opera (both the Queen album and literally, a night at the opera) and I like singing/dancing to 80s synth pop. I'm a metalhead and like 90s boy/girl bands. I love swing and rock in all its forms and funk and psychedelia and folk and ska and so much more, and in my younger days I was a member of a baroque ensemble. The artist I've seen most times is Bon Jovi but the best concert I went to was either The Who or the Graceland reunion....I can never make up my mind. The term "favourite" would apply to anything I can sing along to, but that will range from music from the musicals to pirate metal (Alestorm I'm thinking of you!)

14. What do you do for a living? I spent 11+ years working in finance in various guises, from credit control working all the way up to Finance Manager! And I hated every minute haha!!!

BUT - 2 weeks ago I started an entirely new career, I am now Senior Research Manager for the Faculty of Education and Languages at a major university! I have no idea what I'm doing :D:D:D:D:D

15. If you could have lunch with a person, dead or alive, who would it be?
    Ooooooooh that's tough! Just one? Hmmmm..........I may have to say Emmeline Pankhurst. She led such a hard fight for such an important cause that radically changed what could have been my circumstances. I guess I'd like to meet her both in terms of what her suffrage movement achieved, for which I am so grateful, but also as a lesson in grim determination and not giving up when fighting what seems like a battle that can never be won (I'm sure no one here knows what that feels like!!! ;)