Slimfast powder vs protine powder

Options
123sind
123sind Posts: 80 Member
Is there any of you using slimfast powder as your protine powder or do you only use protine. I was thinking using slimfast in my morning smooth as i find buying protine powder very expensive. I would use it with alpro milk (0 carbs) and some mixed berries and some full fat cream. Would be interested in seeing if anyone of you using that.

Replies

• jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Watch your sugar content with slim fast!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Why not real foods?

I very rarely used protein powder, at all. It was always more satisfying to have a real good breakfast.
  • 123sind
    Options
    I know what you are saying, haven't used protein powder before, just wondering if anyone did use it as i was thinking i might try it out. But yes you are both right to much sugar and have done without protein powder up to now.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just looked at the slimfast powder and it has almost no protein. It has 2 grams! The other 8 grams comes from the skim milk you are supposed to add. It has 14 grams of net carbs per scoop, and that is before the milk. On amazon, it works out to about 50 cents a scoop, but it is also devoid of any nutrients you would want.

The chocolate body fortress whey protein powder is 30 grams of protein per scoop, but about $1 a scoop. It you go to half a scoop, it would be 15 grams (more than the slimfast) and about 50 cents. The carbs on half a scoop would be about 4 grams. It would be a smaller beverage, but easier to fit into your day.

Or, you could go for a much nicer breakfast. Two eggs, (160 calories, but 12 grams of protein and 12 grams of fat) scrambled in half a tablespoon of butter (50 calories), with some fresh spinach and mushrooms mixed in**. Simple, quick, and filling. I even do scrambled eggs when in hotel rooms, as I only need a plastic bowl and a microwave.

** The exact additions to your eggs would be based on what you prefer. But, scrambled eggs take only a couple minutes. Easily the same amount of time as a protein shake.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've not used Slimfast or compared it to protein powders. I did just search it and see there is this version that may compare somehow/somewhat to protein powders and it also comes in a powdered version:

https://slimfast.com/product_cat/advanced-nutrition-shakes/

I too tend to eat "real food" but have recently (nearly 5 years into this weight management game) purchased a protein powder because I do get tired of eating meat, fish, canned tuna, cottage cheese, Greek Yogurt, etc for the protein content and desire a little variety sometimes. Plus peanut butter flavor protein powder is tasty :) and hasn't resulted me diving face first into a jar of peanut butter (which would be my personal primary concern). Compare labels. Good luck with whatever you decide. Try it and see how it works for you.
  • 123sind
    Options
    Thanks again. I better go a boil some eggs.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you drink BPC you could try adding an egg for protein. As gross as it sounds, and it does, its actually pretty good.
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    slimfast is terrible nutrient balance for low carb. Its primary calories are all from carbs. Protein powder is ok and the more expensive protein isolate is very low carb, but it still lacks nutritional balance. You will stay full and happy longer if you include both fat and fiber with your protein for a more balanced meal.
    For keto, you typically want to have most of your calories from fat, with an adequate protein intake and focus most of your carbs on high fiber (low net carb) veggies. This is my alteration for protein shake that includes some added fiber and uses heavy cream and MCT oil for the fat content. Several of the vitamins listed, I take as pills, so that I get everything I need with only 1 of these shakes per day, often for breakfast or midafternoon snack. I need an option of something I can have at work without having to go out to get food. The complete foods site will let you copy and edit recipes, so feel free to replicate and play around with ingredients.
    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/keto-catchow-150-vanilla