What is your "life style" change?

Options
Everything in moderation, atkins, keto, low carb, DASH, Myplate, CICO, Low Glycemic Index?

What are you following? Do you expect this to be a long term deal, or do you anticipate having to make modifications after you get closer to your goal weight?

Lets discuss!

Replies

• Keeblerelfkin
    Keeblerelfkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been using My Fitness Pal on and off for a few years. I have lost a significant amount of weight using MFP, as long as I am counting calories and exercise I seem to do well. As I get closer to my goal weight I do notice I have to exercise more and I have been eating less, everyday is a small victory for me. It is hard to change your own lifestyle when others who live with you continue to eat like your old lifestyle, it makes it hard to keep from cheating. I just keep reminding myself why I am doing this and what got me here to begin with. I plan to continue using MFP even after I reach my goal weight so I do not end up back where I started(almost 500 pounds).
  • CheezWhiz88
    CheezWhiz88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am focusing mainly in CICO. I am using MFP every day and it has been really helpful keeping me honest with myself about what I'm eating. My diet has been very simple: english muffin with a little pb, some yogurt for breakfast, protein shake for lunch and salad with a grilled protein for dinner. If I get hungry between meals, I have carrot sticks. I don't drink coffee and I quit diet soda back in June, so I only drink water. It's a boring meal plan, but I'm a creature if habit so I don't mind the repetition.
  • Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Another vote for CICO (Calories In Calories Out) here. For me, it makes sense and I’ve been able to stick to it for over a year now. My life has definitely changed a lot over the past year. I eat mindfully... meaning I’m not just mindlessly cramming food in my mouth. Instead I have to stop and think about whether that food fits in my plan. This year I started going to the gym every morning. I never thought I would actually like getting up early and working out, but now that it is routine, I can’t imagine not doing it. I’ve also changed the way I look at weight loss. Before, I would look at how much I have to lose and get so upset that it would not happen over night that I would quit before I even started. Now, I find joy in the journey, knowing everyday I am better off than I was the day before and everyday I am closer to my goal. 067f7b0ddlc5.png
  • GothicsDarkAngel
    GothicsDarkAngel Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am doing CICO with a concentration on breaking my binge cycles. I truly have to remind myself that I didn't get this size over night, and I need to own the fact that MY choices got me here; and my choices can get my out of here.
  • jules81
    jules81 Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Another one for CICO here BUT for me to break my awful binge days/weeks/months I NEED to eat protein with every meal - mostly tea. To break that cycle - well I am only really starting AGAIN today ( for the 7000 th time - BUT that what I've learnt in them 1000s of time. Also I try and do 6000 steps each day - to give me a bit of play room with cals IF I want that wine ( I've been having half wine and half diet lemonade and enjoying it just as much - this is Once a month she girls come round) i have ME/CFS and i feel so bad for a NOT doing exercise BUT maybe after I've list snot her stone/14 lbs my body will be able to cope with an extra 500 steps. That's what I am hoping. Also not to much diet drinks - spring water for me and I ENJOY cooking my meals from scratch BUT have a few freezer meals as back up when ME/CFS ( sorry I think this is mainly an American site and I am not sure if my ilness I'd called something diffrent over there? ) sorry I am waffling xxxx
  • rabidhamster87
    rabidhamster87 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm all about those calories in and calories out too! I'm trying to keep an everything in moderation mindset because I feel like that's more sustainable in the long run than being overly strict and completely removing certain things from my diet, but at the same time I'm also trying to be more cognizant of what I actually put into my body. If I let myself, I won't touch a vegetable for days on end and live completely off of carbs! haha So, I'm trying to make sure I get more nutritious foods too, especially since my main motivation for losing weight is to have a baby in the next few years. I've got to form healthy habits now for that little person we want to make because what I eat will be what they eat!
  • CheezWhiz88
    Options
    Something different I am doing is weighing myself a lot less. I became a bit obsessed with checking the scale and my motivation became greatly tied into my success on the scale that week. I am planning to weigh myself once a month. If I have steady weight loss, I will continue doing it that way because I can't risk getting discouraged. If I find I am not having success, I will start weighing myself more regularly to pinpoint what works and what doesn't!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I've been calorie counting and haven't added in a dedicated exercise component yet, though working on gutting and remodeling an house the last 4 months packing up my old house for the last 7 months and now unpacking definitely counts as activity!

CICO technically isn't a diet plan; its the mathematical reality behind weight loss period, no matter what diet you try. Keto, Adkins, Paleo, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, calorie counting, mindful eating - they all are based on the mathematical principle that eating less than what your body burns in a day will result in weight loss; eating more will result in weight gain.

sorry, I'm an engineer. We're anal like that :)

Anyway, I've learned to compromise with myself. Nothing is technically off limits. If I want Mcdonald's, I get McDonald's. As long as I count it, its okay. However, in practice, I've learned to choose the healthier items. Yes, I could eat that donut and fit it into my calorie goal. But 350 calories is an entire meal. I will be hungry again in an hour. So I'm better off reaching for the low fat cheese, yogurt, or something less calorie dense and more filling. Yes, I can get a Big Mac into my calorie count. But the grease and the fat are going to leave me feeling bloated. And that means I'm going to have to make dinner very lean. so I either order the healthier grilled chicken sandwich or buy a kids hamburger happy meal.

I don't mind cooking, but found myself going out way too often, so I've put that back in check and am back to cooking at home mostly. I try to keep my calorie expenditure light during the day time, so I have a very light breakfast or none at all, a snack or two to keep me going in the day, and a lighter lunch. This is because I am weakest in willpower and my cravings are strongest in the evening, so I've learned to work with myself and my strengths and weaknesses.

I'm gearing more toward a Mediterranean diet, so I stay out of the processed foods aisles and go for more fresh or frozen products. The funny part is that my grocery bill hasn't changed or has gone up because while I'm eating less, I'm going for the fresher items. I try to eat leaner meats, fish at least once a week, and limit my pasta intake and switched to whole grain. While I'm not pre-diabetic and don't have problems with sugar, I've switched to mostly stevia or splenda just because I don't want those empty calories in my coffee. I'm experimenting with baking with them too, so I can have low-calorie sweet treats. I've introduced myself to a lot more variety of vegetables than before, and have switched to unsweetened almond milk instead of milk mostly. Not that milk is bad; its just me trying to lower the calorie load. I'll still have milk once in a while, especially for the protein.

One victory that I sustained from my previous weight loss attempt was I broke myself of pop. I can't take diet pops usually (though I did find a splenda version of diet pepsi yesterday that doesn't upset my stomach like aspertame containing products do). When I want the fizz of a carbonated drink, I either go for a can of bai bubbles or a bottle of ICE (or the walmart knock-off). I like hte Bai drinks as well, or I go for unsweet tea - or half and half when I can't resist (cause I'll drink it unsweet but that don't mean I like it!)

Sweet tea is my real weakness, and I can drink a gallon without even thinking about it, so I have to be vigilant there. I have to eliminate things like chips and snack crackers in my house because I just can't limit myself to a serving. So while I don't consider anything truly off limits, I know what my triggers and weaknesses are and have to regulate them or eliminate them.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm CICO and trying to increase veggies, eat whole grains and just generally increase the quality of the food I eat. I'm almost a year in and 55 lbs down. My plan is to not do anything I can't do forever and to learn to cook foods that I love and that are good for me. Because my knowing how to make meat and potatoes style food isn't going to work in the long term. There is some garbage I eat but I try to make sure that the majority of my food is higher quality so when i have coffeemate and its mechanically expelled cottonseed oil, I feel like it evens out.
  • JJKM02
    JJKM02 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have been swimming at least three times a week for several months, but though I was seeing a loss of inches, the scale wasn't moving much. So on January 1, I made some enormous changes. I now work out five times a week and try to vary the activities (Although the pool is my favorite!!). I also gave up pop, bread, pasta, all sugar. I also increased my water intake and am very cognizant of what I consume. I have also added intermittent fasting. I only allow myself to ear between 10am and 6pm daily. So I am hoping that I am creating the perfect storm of weight loss!!!!!
  • gin_rummy
    gin_rummy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Another CICO-only here! I know damned well that I will NOT stick to anything that says I can't have x/y/z (especially when that's chocolate!)

I try to be very aware of what I eat and log my choices in advance so that I know exactly how much I have to play with. EG I'll have logged my day's meals before lunch and then I know if I have "spare" calories for snacking and a chocolate fix, and can choose what will fit within this. Sometimes I'll need to make a minor adjustment to a quantity when I cook dinner, but the 'expensive' items like oil and carbs will be accurately planned, variation on veg and lean meat is not such a worry.

I also tend to eat better quality "treats" now, and eat them more slowly - so I'll splash out on a small quantity of 'fancy' chocolate and eat it in very small bites, very slowly.

Most likely this is for life - although live in hope that after a few years of being so anal about it, and being able to be more active once I'm a lot lighter, will mean that eventually I don't have to religiously log every crumb every day!
  • mathdad41
    mathdad41 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've cut out pop. Difficult as I LOVE Coke. Also skip the fast food. Maybe once every couple of weeks I will eat an Egg White Delight at McDonald's. I go there often before morning before work for coffee and fill my Yeti cup wit water. I enjoy the quiet time to myself and I check email and surf the web.
  • leeonmcdaniel
    leeonmcdaniel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've cut out all soda as of a year ago and all sweets as of 6 months ago and I'm starting to cut out a lot of greasy foods as much as I can
  • CheezWhiz88
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I quit diet pepsi back in June. I opened up a 12 pack one day in the morning (I don’t drink coffee so it was my caffeine), and at 11pm that night, I realized I was drinking the last one. The next day I didn't immediately go out and buy more and suffered a horrible migraine and realized what it was doing to me. I quit cold turkey that day, had a horrible week of headaches and exhaustion and I have only drank water since. While I won’t lie and say I don’t miss it, I know it was the best choice for me.
  • rabidhamster87
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @CheezWhiz88 You sound like me with Diet Coke! I was definitely drinking a very unhealthy amount... like a 6 pack a day too! Instead of quitting cold turkey though I've been weaning myself down. First, I went down to 2 a day, then 1 a day, and now I'm on 1/2 (8 oz) a day. I let myself "cheat" on the weekends though because I figure it's better to drink a few extra diet cokes than eat an entire pizza or something.
  • CheezWhiz88
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @CheezWhiz88 You sound like me with Diet Coke!

Then you understand the struggle!

Well, I have a tough week ahead. My husband is gone for the week and I have to be good in his absence! And out of nowhere, his cousin and girlfriend decided to drop by and gave me an hour notice, and trying to be a good hostess I threw a batch of brownies in the oven so that I have them here for them when they come. I have already washed my takeout containers so they can take everything with them when they go and I just have to make sure I don’t eat any while they’re here. Wish me luck!
    v2oqtrrqo9rt.jpeg

• bmeadows380
    Options
    hope it worked out for you, cheez! I had a house guest myself yesterday; it didn't work out so much for me, though lol - I know I ended up eating more than I should have!
  • UnicornSmoothie
    UnicornSmoothie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My lifestlye change is "everything in moderation." I also have lots of hobbies that involve sitting on my butt - writing, reading, gaming - so my best friend and I are making a more conscious decision to try more active things. So far, I've picked up bowling again pretty regularly and I'm going to start hiking again (which I used to do quite often when I was a kid and lived in Montana) once it gets warmer.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    My lifestlye change is "everything in moderation." I also have lots of hobbies that involve sitting on my butt - writing, reading, gaming - so my best friend and I are making a more conscious decision to try more active things. So far, I've picked up bowling again pretty regularly and I'm going to start hiking again (which I used to do quite often when I was a kid and lived in Montana) once it gets warmer.

I want to get more into hiking too, when the weather warms up, though I'm not sure how often it will fit into my schedule.

I recently thought about getting back into bowling! The problem is I don't really have anyone to do it with regularly, though I suppose I could always rent a lane and practice against myself! lol
  • rabidhamster87
    Options
    @UnicornSmoothie I can feel you on having the butt-sitting hobbies. My two favorites are reading and video games myself! But on an unrelated note... I want to say I love your profile pic.