Day 3 I hate life

Options
Day 3 I want every carb known to man. Omg I need carbs. How do I get past this. I have drank so much water trying to push this out. My head hurts so bad.

Replies

• NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Power thru. Make sure you take in enough sodium. Drink pickle juice. Stay away from artificial sweeteners for at least a week. Once you get past a week, it will settle down. You can do this!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For me the sweet cravings were pretty easily killed with either salty/crunch stuff like nuts or pork rinds (with cream cheese, so yum)...or, with other strong tastes like licorice or raspberry tea.
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The first few days are the hardest! When I took a break over the holidays and tried again, I wanted aaaaallll the carbs that first week. But if you can get through this patch, your cravings for carbs will go way way down. Drink bone broth or chew gum. I also do chores when I get hungry, I think more about how much I hate what I am doing and forget to be hungry ;).

Good luck!
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Find things that are keto friendly that you actually like to eat and then have a bunch of it - bacon, cheese, steak. You want to get yourself off carbs without feeling too deprived. its more important to get over the hump than worry limiting food (that was the sense I got from your emphasis on drinking water)
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't restrict yourself too heavily at this time. Eat as much keto friendly food as you need to in order to feel satisfied. Make keto comfort foods if that will help you feel more satisfied.

The main focus in the first couple weeks is sticking to your carb max, and keeping up electrolytes. Try drinking some pickle juice - that often helps calm cravings and ease headaches.

You can focus on calories and macros once you're fat adapted.

Remember, you are training your body right now. It's mind over matter during this period. Your body is begging for the fuel source it knows - sugar. It will soon catch on that fat and protein are coming in reliably, will make the fuel source switch. If you give in and feed your body sugar and carbs, you are just prolonging the fat adaptation process. You can do this! Those cravings will subside soon!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you supplementing sodium? You need to
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Yes, pickle juice is the nectar of Gods! You'll quickly find out that your pickles will outlast your juice. If you know anyone in the restaurant business, see if they can get you some pickle juice. They have the big jars and just throw out the juice when done. My son works in a restaurant, and brings me home the juice! LOL!
    Also, add pink salt to almost everything. You want to get at least 4000 to 5000 mg of sodium/day. It seems like a lot, but you get used to it. It helps with the headaches and other variations of keto flu. Also get either No Salt or LiteSalt.
    You got this!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I agree on the sodium. I changed my goal in the food section to 4000 mg, and I am pretty good about meeting that.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I also find peppermint tea to stunt cravings for me. Try it?
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yes, lots of delicious teas also help, but pickle juice is the big YES! We always have pickle juice here and I'm hooked on the stuff. :)
  • yvmr
    yvmr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dill pickle juice??
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    yvmr wrote: »
    Dill pickle juice??

Yes, dill. The other kind has more carbs.
  • NikaChartrand
    NikaChartrand Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was just creeping around discussions (as per usual lol) when I saw the pickle juice. Hubby LOVES pickles but will toss the juice. Looks like it finally has a use!