Low carb high fibre foods?

Options
August2444
August2444 Posts: 31 Member
Any suggestions please? I've always had problems with regularity but since going low carb it seems more so. I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice. TIA

Replies

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Avocados, spinach, broccoli, arugula, raspberries, and pecans are the frequent fiber stars of my diary over that past week.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me, fibre just adds bulk which was not good if I was not regular. LOL ;)

Magnesium supplements can help. So can increased fats, especially coconut oil. A cup of coffee seemed to help me too.

A bit of sugar alcohols can get things moving quickly too.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    There's an enlightening "poo thread" going on in the Food and Nutrition Forum. If nothing else, it certainly shows that "regular" is varied among the masses.

If your "regular" has changed and is physically uncomfortable all the suggestions above could be helpful. I'll add that exercise such as a good brisk walk might be helpful. It could be that since you are eating less there is not so much to eliminate so nothing extra is needed. Unless of course you have become physically uncomfortable because of it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with regularity until I ELIMINATED FIBER from my diet. Just a possibility to consider.
    I had IBS since I was a teenager. I had my gallbladder out when I was 16 years old. My surgeons youngest patient ever. I had over 100 gallstones.
    I was convinced a high fiber diet was THE ONLY WAY to stay healthy. Until... I tried a zero carb. Zero fiber diet. Suddenly all of my, and I literally mean ALL of my digestive issues resolved. Within a couple days. Only resurfacing when I decided to reintroduce fiber.
    No fiber was the cure for my chronic digestive issues.
    Fiber is not the automatic “cure all” to digestive issues that we’ve always been told. Experiment and see for yourself.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds. Sancha Inchi (a type of seed from South America). Sweet Apricot Kernels. Coconut flakes/flour. Psyllium powder or husks. Lupin flour. Avocado mentioned above.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I second magnesium advice......It greatly helped me in numerous ways......I'm getting to the point where I notice that too much fiber causes me digestive issues as well.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    I'm getting to the point where I notice that too much fiber causes me digestive issues as well.

Ditto that @swezeytba ...I had a very rude and unpleasant awakening this past Thanksgiving where I learned the same goes for me!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The thread is starting to read like a caution to people who are eating keto only for weight loss. They might want to reconsider or they may never be able to eat another salad again.

To provide balance, I upped my carbs from 20 (2016) to 50 in 2017 and had no issues. More recently I've occasionally had more than 50 and am not bothered by them. Effective 2/1/18, I'll up them to 75 total "on paper" and that's probably where I'll settle in. 75 max in vegetables,dairy and some fruit. Recently I've tried a couple high fiber/high protein vegetable pastas. They're not too tasty so I probably won't purchase any more but the high fiber was not problematic.
  • oliviasgrannie
    oliviasgrannie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have IBS with constipation and I used to take Miralax daily until I started using a Magnesium Spray. It goes directly on your skin so it's absorbed immediately. One problem though is if you use too much you may get diarrhea. I diluted the spray with water since the directions said it was ok to do that so now I have no more problems getting too much. Also make sure you are drinking enough liquid. I eat very little fiber and only from vegetables, mostly salad greens. I'm usually under 10g's because more cause the constipation to reappear. Hope this helps.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Since you are eating low carb now, you may want to double check that you have increased your water intake quite a bit. You don't retain as much fluid on a low carb diet and that could be adding to your troubles.
  • keezo1
    keezo1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Low carb actually eliminated my digestive problems.