New LC/keto-er, struggling a little, would love some advice and tips!

Options
FruityLoops
FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
Hi all, new to the group and new to low carbing!

I have PCOS, Psoriatic Arthritis, Psoriasis, High Blood Pressure and more, plus I'm just over 300lbs now and I'm a binge eater, urgh, I'm a bit of a mess frankly! Years back I was told to go on an 800 cal a day diet by a dietician for my PCOS which I found absolutely impossible, and my weight has been up and down for years. I lost over 100lbs 14 years ago (which I felt was perfect for me), but that was majorly based on loss through ridiculous exercising (several hours daily) and weighing myself many many times a day and gearing my food around that, very unhealthy, and I'd gained it all back and more within a year or two. I used to love badminton, and kick boxing, but I can't do it now with the arthritis at my current weight :/ And now my quack wants to put me on a 3rd medication for my blood pressure, beta blockers, which I really don't want so I have to/want to get my weight down.

Soooooo having looked into low carbing and keto I've heard that it can be amazing for PCOS, insulin resistance and weight loss so I'm giving it a go. Thing is I've been calorie counting for 25 years, I feel like an expert in standard diet low fat thinking, so it's taking quite a switch to move to low carb thinking.

I'm loving losing the bread/pasta/rice frankly, carb rich food have always been my trigger when it comes to binge eating so it's really helping me to combat that and I haven't found it much of a wrench, though at this point I do miss the crunch of crisps, my beloved chocolate, and the easiness of bread. But my biggest problem so far though is working out what kinds of fat to eat (I'm reluctant to eat too much dairy, but I hate nuts and avocado), and keeping my carbs below 50g because I love veggies so much and they seem to add up so fast!

So really any advice you can give a beginner would be gratefully received, especially if you've had similar issues!!

Replies

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Check out the launch pad for tons of helpful info. In my beginning, it answered almost all my questions and even many I hadn't thought about. Good luck on your journey!
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Veggies should not be an issue for you if you're using net carbs instead of total carbs. I too have psoriatic arthritis so I'm using keto to help with inflammation, but I'm also breastfeeding so I've got to keep my carbs on the higher side or it messes with my supply. I still eat tons of veggies. In fact, I eat a big salad every day varying the protein I put on top. For dinner I usually do a meat and veg thing or sometimes I opt for fathead pizza. Breakfast is the hardest for me as I'm not a huge egg fan...so when I'm done breastfeeding I'm going to start intermittent fasting and just cut it out. For now, I use dairy as part of my breakfast routine, though I know it isn't that great for me.
  • FruityLoops
    Options
    Aaaah right, I was just reading through the launch pad in fact and someone mentioned something about net carbs v total carbs, so I need to read up on that then defo! Thankfully I looooove eggs so that helps!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Maria Emmerich has a great book out right now called KETO. Talks a lot about specific health issues and the science behind eating keto. I got it last week and enjoying relearning why we should all be eating this way!
  • FruityLoops
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You don’t specifically have to seek out fat to eat.
    Meat already has fat. Then you can just cook your veggies and add a normal amount of butter or olive oil. If you eat cheese or use sour cream that is extra added fat also, which again, isn’t even necessary.

Cool thanks, I think perhaps I'm fixating too much on fitting to the macros I set. Love the pictures too, I have indeed heard people elsewhere mentioning about butter in coffee which I defo don't like the idea of, whereas the left picture is what most of my meals look like!
  • FruityLoops
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Maria Emmerich has a great book out right now called KETO. Talks a lot about specific health issues and the science behind eating keto. I got it last week and enjoying relearning why we should all be eating this way!

That's perfect, precisely the kind of information I've been looking for, thanks.