Exercise and Keto

Options
So I’ve been recently losing pretty nicely and so I figured I would incorporate some exercise into my routine. I added some light weights and some cardio and since I’ve started this my weight hasn’t moved in fact went up a pound. Is this normal or will it go back down? And do you guys typically exercise while losing on keto?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Exercise will make you retain water, it's part of the muscle repair process. This is totally normal and to be expected. It will go away, maybe in a few days, maybe in a few weeks, everyone responds differently. Don't worry about the scale, you are definitely improving your health with exercise, the scale will catch up at some point!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    1st of all up a pound, down a pound is normal fluction of bodies whether one is dieting, not dieting, eating keto, not eating keto. That is what the body does. If these normal fluctuations interest you, you might want to start tracking them on something like TrendWeight (website), Happy Scale (iphone) or Libra (android).

Other than that, ditto to what @tcunbeliever said. Continue to exercise. Our bodies were designed to move. Kudos to you for adding a little exercise.
  • venuschildress
    venuschildress Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat. If you are building muscle, you may not be losing weight, but you are losing fat.
  • mlabbate21
    mlabbate21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When exercising do you change your macros or hold what you’ve been doing?
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Kind of hijacking this thread...

I know with calories in/out, when you exercised you could eat back some or all of your "burn" calories. However, I am not sure what the practice is with carbs? Do you "earn back" some carbs with exercise? Or do you just follow the calories burned and not eat any additional carbs? I hope that question makes sense...
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You can eat more healthy carbs before working out, since it will be burned for energy during the workout. Idk if that happens afterwards tho. Even with a workout, keep the carbs low enough to remain in ketosis. I stay below 20 carbs, but if I had a workout requiring alot more energy, I may eat 40-50 total, not net