Ive got a lowcarb bun in the oven

Options
Ive got PCOS and have been using keto to control insulin resistance and lose the weight.
Im also type 2 diabetic and on Janumet only now, no insulin anymore!
This month I ovulated for the first time in a year!! And today I found out im pregnant!!
My question is, has anyone been pregnant and continued this woe? I really dont want to give it up, it makes me feel amazing and will also come in handy to not put on weight like I did in my 1st pregnancy.
Thanks guys!!

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! We had a member here in a similar situation. She just had a beautiful little boy last week and im pretty sure stayed keto during her pregnancy.

I see her more on the ketogenic forums (2 keto dudes) and can’t remember her name here or I’d page her.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    The ketogenic forums has a women's sub forum. Lots of PCOS and other women's issues get discussed there. There is a good podcast by Daisy Brackenhall KetoWoman you might be interested in as well. Daisy also has a facebook page for Kickarse Keto *kitten*. Several women have posted pics and comments on their progress while being pregnant.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I know women who stayed carnivore (zerocarb) while pregnant. I am pretty sure low carb won't be a bad idea. Besides, if you had gestational diabetes, they would want you on a low-carb diet. So, there's no reason to switch up what has been working.

Also, congrats!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :)

I think it is often smart to not make any large changes while pg unless it is a big change for the better (like quitting smoking or drinking). You are eat low carb, thriving, and experiencing better health. It makes sense to continue.

I remember reading one blog called my zero carb life. She was a carnivore, and had three healthy kids without eating plants. I can't link well on this device I am afraid.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Ive got PCOS and have been using keto to control insulin resistance and lose the weight.
    This month I ovulated for the first time in a year!! And today I found out im pregnant!!
    My question is, has anyone been pregnant and continued this woe? I really dont want to give it up, it makes me feel amazing and will also come in handy to not put on weight like I did in my 1st pregnancy.
    Thanks guys!!

Congratulations!! Whatever anyone says definitely discuss these with your doctors.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
  • KatMac22072004
    KatMac22072004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing, thankyou all! Pretty keen to learn alot.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! So happy for you!
    I was not eating low carb when I was pregnant so I don't have experience with that, but I do have PCOS. Best of luck to you and your baby!
  • hoopduck
    hoopduck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That's wonderful news :smile:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!

I ate lower carb during my last pregnancy due to gestational diabetes. Unfortunately, it wasn't low carb enough to keep me off a med to control blood sugar. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone down to keto-level carbs. That was 7 years ago, mind. I had to go keto briefly postpartum to get rid of the high a1c's still. It lingered! So I breastfed my baby to 21mo while keto. Then my doc told me I was "cured." So I went back to all the carbs and regained all the weight and poor health. It took me a few more years to "get it." Like I said, "if I knew then what I know now." All your body needs to grow a baby nutrition-wise is adequate calories and adequate hydration/electrolyte levels. For your health, add a varied diet (use your carbs for green/leafy veggies). I would keep my mind open about possibly increasing to 50g net carbs just to get in more veggies, but if you are doing fine without it, you're good. However, like Goat said, many women have had no-carb pregnancies and done fine.

A good rest/stress ratio is nice as well.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks guys!!

I would talk to your doctor. BUT My recommendation is to add Low GI fruit and Legumes into your diet. You're growing another human being and that takes A LOT of calories. Carbs being the main form.

I think you should continue to track your calories, work with your doctor or a dietician familiar with diabetes during pregnancy. Regardless during pregnancy your body may need more carbs to grow that other person. It doesn't mean you need 2x more carbs. BUT It may not hurt to eat things (maybe at night) that won't spike your insulin but give you more calories. Remember also, staying hydrated during pregnancy is CRITICAL. 1g of carb carries 4 grams of water. Pregnancy and Ketosis can be rough on the kidneys alone. I would suspect together you would want to take extra care with electrolytes and hydration.

As much as I appreciate the advice on this forum, it does not replace the advice of your medical practitioners. When googled there are warnings against "keto" during pregnancy. While it may be possible, Anecdotal evidence usually represents the outliers and not the "rule". I can't stress talking to your doctor *first* Granted he or she may understand and know it's okay. I personally would not leave a hard fought for pregnancy in the hands of Dr. Google and Internet Forums.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I was not low carb while pregnant, I was while breast feeding. The concerns are the same however, in that your body will take from you what it needs to make sure the baby is healthy. Make sure your Dr/ Midwifes know how you eat, and why you eat that way. They can support you and help you identify signs of your own nutritional deficiency if they exist or come to exist while pregnant.
  • YogaPantsUser
    YogaPantsUser Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I don't have any info to add. You've become a statistic of "keto babies."
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would think that eating naturally and low carb veggies and taking fewer medications would be much healthier for the baby with fewer risks of side effects than eating more carbs and needing more diabetic medications (that have unknown effects and could harm the baby). find a doctor that understands diabetes + low carb.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!