Living In a Non-Keto Household

Options
ClayBengal
ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
Worst part of keto diet for me is definitely living in a household where everyone else is eating carbs like it’s their job. How are you coping with this situation?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I wish I could take a picture of my kitchen, on a normal day. Today is a bit weird because it is superbowl and we have people coming over. But, normally, my counter is nothing but bowls of candy, pastries, chips, and other carbage. I don't go into the pantry at all, it is worse than the counter. The freezer is full of ice cream and other crap (so I just get my meat out and don't look around). I make a habit of not lingering in the kitchen area. It isn't easy, but you can do it.
  • z_misetich
    z_misetich Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It is hard! I have three little ones and my husband who has a sweet tooth for days! I have been very strict with myself, but I enjoy cooking so by the time I am done in the kitchen at night I have probably cooked like 3 dinners between the five of us, not in quantity, but in variety... lol Not to say this is the best method, because it is not... (I have to learn to tell everyone they are eating the same dang thing!) buuut, it does help me stay focused to know that I can satisfy everyone... Slowly but surely, I plan to implement some of the keto lifestyle on the family once they see that I am actually enjoying the food. :) For instance... 'Make your own pizza' on a low carb flat wrap is fun for the kids! and cauliflower anything can be seasoned to to taste like lots of stuff like mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, 'bread sticks'. Its difficult for sure, but also definitely possible :) I think the tortoise will once again win this race
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If I am not into my 'groove' then it is harder, but when I have been very low carb for a few weeks, it gets easier to pass up other foods.

TBH, I think this is where being a celiac becomes useful: I was already very used to not being able to eat what everybody else was eating when I switched to keto. :D;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Longer becomes stronger.

There are just 2 of us in our household. There is: ice cream, bread, crackers, tater chips, pita chips, Skippy's Extra Chunky, bananas, cookies, wine, Coke Classic. Whatever, at any given time. I don't leave any of it sit around on the counter though (except the fruit sometimes). I don't eat "other stuff" at home either: mashed potatoes and gravy, rice pilaf. I still make it. I just don't eat it.

I've changed my diet, not my husband's. It's a choice.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's challenging, especially now since my boyfriend ditched the diet. I try to do a protein everyone likes then do a potato for the two non ketoers then I'll have green beans or asparagus and call it a day. My boyfriend will still eat whatever I make, but by daughter doesn't necessarily like the casseroles and things so then I'll just give her soup and a sandwich or frozen dinner. Something easy so I'm not a slave to the kitchen all evening. I love this woe but it really can be labor intensive.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are both doing keto, so that helps simplify things. We have a 19 yo daughter at home who is NOT eating keto, but she gets her groceries and cooks her own for the most part. That helps, but sometimes there are too many cooks in the kitchen. I stay out of the daughter's chips, and she stays out of my sardines. It works.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My wife is the biggest vegan junk food junkie. It is difficult and I must admit I have caved and had some carb laden foods recently because I am battling the mother of all colds but I just pick myself up and go back to LCHF the next meal or day. I really just put up the blinders when I am in the kitchen and make my own meals, it's easier at work since I am not beholden to just LCHF vegan and I can grab a good salad or other keto meal. I try to make my lunch my largest meal of the day since it will carry me into the night and keep me from grazing in the kitchen. I've also gotten into a good habit of not snacking after dinner if we are watching TV. Just say no when offered something and don't feel bad saying no.

I would have to say my lunches which are typically away from the house help me the most when coping with the serious amounts of junk food my wife buys...and you would think vegans are healthy? She buys sweetened cereal, cookies, chocolate, bread, fries, pasta, cake, donuts, candy, vegan ice cream...you name it if there is a regular junk food option that is not vegan my wife will find the vegan option.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I wrote a huge response last night and apparently it didn't post! Like above, I am also the cook. When I first started this WOE, I quickly learned that HF casseroles and the like were not going to be a good option when devoured by my carb-eaters. I now also focus on meat, veggies, sauces, salads, and carbs as all separate dishes and each person takes responsibility for how they fill their plate. They recognize that I go heavier on the veggies, but I am finding that I need to prepare more & more of them and the carb servings are getting smaller.

I food prep breakfast and lunch options specifically for me on the weekend. It is a lifesaver to staying on plan.

I also try to keep some on plan snacks on hand as well, just in case I am feeling "left out". Pork rinds & dip or celery & cream cheese is usually my go to if I'm really just wanting to munch. I am also shocked at how quickly they abandon their popcorn if I walk in with a small plate of cheese, sausage & pickles....

I am so happy to have not read it in this post so far, but it drives me crazy when people recommend to "just get the carbs out of the house". Sadly that just isn't an appropriate option when we live with grown people who have the right to eat as they chose, just like we do.
  • NikaChartrand
    NikaChartrand Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My hubby really wanted to go keto to support me, but we quickly realized it was not a good option for him at all. He wasn't willing to put in any of the work for it and thought it was too tedious. We found he can go lowER carb, but not nearly as low as I have to be. It's been hard for him to wrap his head around and it's taken several mild arguments, me in tears, and me shoving science articles and the like at him for him to fully grasp how important it is for me to be vigilant with this WOE.

Now that he's realized all of the health and medical reasons I need to stay keto, he is completely supportive and I don't even try to convert him to my WOE. He tries to eat his REALLY bad foods away from me and when it comes to meals, I try to make a keto base and then add a non-keto side for him even though I've made fully keto meals for him before and he's never noticed the difference (THANK YOU cauliflower mashed "potatoes.")