Do you carry a self defense weapon in daily life?

Options
2»

Replies

• thecraigferguson
    thecraigferguson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey I live in Canada and don’t carry anything but a pen knife. That’s a tool not a weapon. I can understand smaller people carrying something I guess. I don’t think Americans understand how unusual their gun culture appears to people from other countries. That is not meant to be political, just an observation. It is very unusual.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The "Gun Culture" is overblown in the media. Guns are a part of American history, and written in to the constitution. It seems unusual to me to not be allowed by the government to have guns.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on where in the states you live @trackercasey76 @thecraigferguson. where i lived earlier in some urban ghetto areas - it was a very real problem. i had drive-bys on my street, was in my house when a kid got shot and killed at the end of my block, saw armed police in the middle of the afternoon searching on foot behind the neighbor's house for a suspect, etc. the final straw was when a couple got assaulted right across the street of my house in the evening - the guy was clocked over the head with a pistol and the woman was assaulted in the bushes. i moved out that month. now i live out in the sticks where i can practically leave my door unlocked. but i feel like as a female, there's never a time i leave the house without feeling aware of my surroundings and being slightly on the lookout/defensive.
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Soy_K wrote: »
    i think it depends on where in the states you live @trackercasey76 @thecraigferguson. where i lived earlier in some urban ghetto areas - it was a very real problem. i had drive-bys on my street, was in my house when a kid got shot and killed at the end of my block, saw armed police in the middle of the afternoon searching on foot behind the neighbor's house for a suspect, etc. the final straw was when a couple got assaulted right across the street of my house in the evening - the guy was clocked over the head with a pistol and the woman was assaulted in the bushes. i moved out that month. now i live out in the sticks where i can practically leave my door unlocked. but i feel like as a female, there's never a time i leave the house without feeling aware of my surroundings and being slightly on the lookout/defensive.

That's not a gun problem, it's a crime problem.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Let's not turn this into a political debate. There are other places for that.
  • BaldIrishMonk
    BaldIrishMonk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always carry at least one pistol, a flashlight and two knives. But I am also in law enforcement so I have the freedom to do so pretty much anywhere.
    I would definitely recommend at least carrying a surefire or streamlight. A bright light is an effective weapon in and of itself, let alone have an impact and control tool in your hand. Thoughts?
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I always carry at least one pistol, a flashlight and two knives. But I am also in law enforcement so I have the freedom to do so pretty much anywhere.
    I would definitely recommend at least carrying a surefire or streamlight. A bright light is an effective weapon in and of itself, let alone have an impact and control tool in your hand. Thoughts?

That is a good idea. It goes in the same vein as I was taught by my previous sensei - use every day items as weapons. I was told that the Okinawans were predominantly farmers and when under Japanese repression they were forbidden to carry weapons. So they used farming equipment to defend themselves - the bo staff was used to carry water, the nunchakas were used for threshing rice, the tonfa was inserted into a communal grinding stone and used as a handle to grind rice grains into flour, etc.

A flash light not only would temporarily blind and disorient an attacker, if it is heavy and sturdy enough could inflict quite a bit of damage!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I live in North Carolina. A state with liberal laws for weapon carry.

Permits for concealed handgun.

EDC. Folded knife and a compact handgun.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Other than my keys, generally, no, I don't carry anything that is designed to be a weapon outside of my own training and experience. If I'm mildly sketched out by the area I'm in, I will hold my key(s) in 'attack ready.' If I'm on my bike, there's a good chance I'm carrying my helmet, which can double as a (very expensive) club.

Mostly, though, I would go with simple awareness. Being aware of my surroundings, who is where and when - and always having an "out." Some of this stemmed from my martial arts training, a lot of it stemmed from being a cop for awhile, and most of it stems from being a motorcyclist in California where drivers are idiots with 2-ton death machines at their disposal.

Oh, and resting *kitten* face LOL.