How to Count Yogurt

Options
So I’ve heard that you can count only half of the carbs in yogurts. Do any of you do this without any weight stalling? And what kind of yogurt is best low-fat no fat Greek etc. and what if it has sugar in it does that count as half to?

Replies

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I occasionally eat Fage 2% plain/unsweetened yogurt. I salt the crap out of it. I love salty yogurt. I count the carbs as listed on the label. (I personally don't count Net carbs, just total carbohydrate grams)
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I eat the Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurts and count the carbs as listed on the label.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I eat Greek yogurt nearly every day.
    I ate MORE Greek yogurt during weight loss because it is filling, low calorie, loaded with protein.
    I happen to like plain (low fat) Greek yogurt so that is what I eat.
    The carb count between low fat and full fat is about 1 carb.
    My choice is a local brand: Taste of Inspirations. Otherwise Fage.
    Sometimes I add little stevia. Or berries.
    I count carbs for Greek yogurt however it is written on the label of the container.
    To do anything else (to me) is simply splitting hairs and trying to find some silly angle to eat more carbs.
    It's not worth the worry/anxiety it might cause.

Unless eating a ketogenic diet for a medical reason, just keep your carbs low and your calories in check. Daily. For as long as it may take lose the weight you desire to lose. And you'll be done. And can carry on the same way for life having learned appropriate choices and eating behaviors. No games and gimmicks. Weight loss is training for weight maintenance.

If I have the time, I'll stop by an organic food store and hunt for a locally-made, full-fat, plain Greek yogurt with live cultures that have chewed their merry way through a lot of the lactose. I count about half the listed carbs (unless there's added sugar, which, well... count that double!).

Cornucopia.org has scorecards for organic products, including yogurts:

https://www.cornucopia.org/scorecard/yogurt/
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So I’ve heard that you can count only half of the carbs in yogurts.

Where did you hear that?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    So I’ve heard that you can count only half of the carbs in yogurts.

Where did you hear that?

Certain places in the Ketosphere. I've heard it bounced around as well. I've heard there's a Facebook vid, people spout it in forums, and etc. Apparently according to some, Phinney and Volek mention it in both their books. I'm not digging into my copy of A&S of Low Carb Living to find it though.
  • FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have been having small quantities of full fat plain greek yoghurt (50-60g), which I usually pop a tiny bit of maple syrup (8ml) in and a chopped up strawberry, which usually comes to around 10g carbs in total. Buuuuut I just found CoYo (coconut yoghurt) today which is by comparison high fat low carb so I'm thrilled as really all I'm missing on keto is sweeter things, it came out at 5g carbs and 26g fat for a 125g container. :)

I haven't been on keto long mind but not sure where you heard that about yoghurts though?! Seems odd unless you're talking like carbs vs net carbs or something.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt is generally less... if you make it your own and ferment for a long time it will be even less. I never stopped eating yoghurt and never cared for its carbs because it just is so good in so many ways. Similar idea that with fermented foods carbs drop, though with store bought things I wouldn't trust that to be the case if you are strictly counting carbs.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Thanks RalfLott, that has been our experience with full fat yogurt, husband is T2D and checks his blood yogurt doesn't hurt his numbers. I find I will stop losing weight if I cut out yogurt completely, it has gotten me off many a stall in my lower carb life (started with 40c/30f&P in mid 90s).

I take 1/2 cup plain yogurt, add heaping teaspoon of 100% cacao powder, a drop of chocolate stevia, mix completely, then add whipped cream. Best dessert ever unless you toss a few raspberries on top, then that is the best dessert ever.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I occasionally eat Fage 2% plain/unsweetened yogurt. I salt the crap out of it. I love salty yogurt. I count the carbs as listed on the label. (I personally don't count Net carbs, just total carbohydrate grams)

salty lassi - my favorite Indian drink!
    salty-lassi-honest-cooking.jpg
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this thread. My wife is T2 Diabetic and has limited carbs. We are both now doing Keto and having good results. We make our own Greek yogurt - Instant Pot; use half heavy cream and half full fat milk. Strain to remove whey. I usually log as some variant of Greek yogurt and add a T of full cream. My wife does not spike glucose in response. We both like the taste. I have tried all sorts of calculations to figure nutrient/macros on our "product" but just got a headache. (one of many frustrations I have in using MFP to track my macros for Keto; I do use the net carbs hack.) Would love to have some keto friends to share diaries and discuss.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this thread. My wife is T2 Diabetic and has limited carbs. We are both now doing Keto and having good results. We make our own Greek yogurt - Instant Pot; use half heavy cream and half full fat milk. Strain to remove whey. I usually log as some variant of Greek yogurt and add a T of full cream. My wife does not spike glucose in response. We both like the taste. I have tried all sorts of calculations to figure nutrient/macros on our "product" but just got a headache. (one of many frustrations I have in using MFP to track my macros for Keto; I do use the net carbs hack.) Would love to have some keto friends to share diaries and discuss.

Wow, no spike at all? That's great. How does she do with cottage cheese, milk, and other dairy with unconverted lactose?

I have pretty much switched my food logging over to Cronometer, which reports on many micronutrients and aims to be keto-friendly.

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    @johnthomasmoore feel free to add me. I need to make yogurt in my Instant Pot. I always think about trying it and never do it.