How many carbs & how fast is weight loss?

Options
tina4kids
tina4kids Posts: 24 Member
How many carbs are you having and how fast are you losing?

I just started low carb again and I don’t think I’m losing as fast as before.

Replies

• lariel16
    lariel16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping my carbs pretty low so I try for 20 or less but I'm pretty loosey goosey with it. Trying to keep protein below 60. Trying to eat lots of vegetables. I'm probably losing about 2 pounds a week but I'm only 2 months in also with a lot to lose. Lost a lot at first but my calories were too low. I just want to keep healthy and steadily lose, doesn't matter how fast.

How many calories would you say you eat per day? I've been keeping my intake around 1300, but now I'm wondering if I'm going too low. Obviously everyone's different, but I figured I'd ask.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I just went back the other day and checked my info out of curiosity since it was in 2013/2014. It seems 2013 food dairy and part of 2014 info has finally been deleted by MFP. Possibly the nutrition part (macro percentages) of the app did not exist prior to ~November of 2014 (??) so glad I checked it while info still exists.

Since this is a low carb forum and not strictly keto: I lost my excess 60+ pounds averaging ~128 grams of carbs per day. I chose a small food deficit combined with a reasonable exercise deficit. Combined, the deficit averaged ~600 calories per day based on my averaged final results of 1.25 pounds/week for 53 weeks.

• solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I probably averaged less than 50 carbs, never counted calories, and lost about 40 pounds in around 5 months last year. Started again three weeks ago, around 5 pounds this time. Of course, in the beginning it's a bit higher, though I'm not watching as much as before. Try intermittent fasting with bullet proof coffee, that helped me a lot last year and in the beginning now, though this past couple of weeks I stopped putting butter in the coffee.
  • tina4kids
    Options
    @baconslave Thanks for the encouragement! I get discouraged when I don't see quick results!
  • tina4kids
    Options
    Thank you all for the support! In 2015 I lost 50 pounds doing low carb. Sadly, I gained all the weight back. I recently tried weight watchers, but lost zero pounds! I am trying low carb again, but I'm not losing as fast this time. Kind of discouraging!
  • YogaPantsUser
    YogaPantsUser Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How many calories would you say you eat per day? I've been keeping my intake around 1300, but now I'm wondering if I'm going too low. Obviously everyone's different, but I figured I'd ask.[/quote]

I try to vary from low of 1200 to as high as 3000, who knows maybe more but still trying to keep within LCHF
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    tina4kids wrote: »
    Thank you all for the support! In 2015 I lost 50 pounds doing low carb. Sadly, I gained all the weight back. I recently tried weight watchers, but lost zero pounds! I am trying low carb again, but I'm not losing as fast this time. Kind of discouraging!

Yes! This is second time around for me. Getting married 30th August and I tried the whole CICO for the last 2 months and I'm just bouncing around the same 5lbs. The only time I lost weight was 2 years ago doing Keto and it crept up again from buying a flat, renos on the flat etc over 2 years. So I figured I would go back to Keto. I never really fully embraced carbs back into my life, I always kept them around 150g, so I'm surprised my body is having a tantrum as Baconslave said. I can wait it out though, I have 5-6months.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi @tina4kids! I lost about 35 lbs on LCHF back in 2015 as well, and started back right around Christmas 2017, this time more Paleo than strictly low carb. I haven’t lost weight as quickly this time, however, I don’t have the severe low carb flu symptoms I had before, either. (Taking electrolytes seriously from the beginning helped.)

I do try to keep calories right around 1930, which is more generous than the target I set for myself a few years ago. My goal is based on losing 0.5 lb per week, and I don’t eat back my exercise calories. I do moderately exercise about 4 days per week.

I’ve lost about 11 pounds since the initial “whoosh” of about 4 lbs of water weight.

My daily carbs are anywhere from 50-120g, though net would probably be more like 40-95g (subtracting fiber).

Oh, and I’m about to turn 38, with 3 kids. 5’9”, 175lbs.
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I tried starting keto back in October, but then the holidays happened. So I started in earnest on New Year's. I started out at 31 carbs a day, but for the last month I have been doing 20 carbs. I also used to do 110-130 grams of protein a day, but my doctor said I should be closer to 50-60 grams. However, I find that I am usually at 70-80 and still losing. I have lost 24 lbs so far.

My biggest hurdle is that I had one kind of cheat day on the Super Bowl. It was all low carb foods, but I ate a lot of them. I had my initial expected gain the next day, but then just kept gaining for 2-3 days! (With CICO I would gain for one day and then go back down again). So that was super discouraging. But I kept at it and had big losses later in the week once the water weight from the excess carbs had left.

You can do it!
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    I've been doing LCHF for over six months now. I try to keep calories below 1600, carbs between 20-30net grams and fat at 60% of total calories. I've lost about 15 pounds but my progress has been very slow... about half a pound per week at best. I'm not an avid exerciser, so I'm working on slowly incorporating more activity into my life. Although the loss is slow, I figure that it's a lifestyle, not a diet, and I will eventually reach and maintain my fitness and health goals. I know it's hard to not see the scale move faster, but when that happens, I try to adjust my expectations about how my body should work and be kind to myself.

Although the weight is coming off at a snails pace, I have noticed increased energy, less hunger in-between meals, and nearly zero cravings for sugar. I hope you keep at it!
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins about 10 years ago and had to keep net carbs at under 20g per day to keep losing weight, lost about 40 pounds over a year, so about a pound per week. Of course, we found it too restrictive and went back to our crappy diet and gained it all back, and more.

This time, I was diagnosed diabetic, so I see low carb as a permanent life or death choice. I am trying to find a sustainable low-carb lifestyle, so I am not being as hard on myself and focused more on keeping blood glucose levels under control than killing myself to lose weight. I do have about 60 pounds to lose. I'm trying to keep under 50g total carbs per day, but not being too strict so typically 50 up to 100g total. I have lost 7 pounds since the beginning of this year.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Geez, I envy some of you. I have to eat 20 to 30 net carbs and about 1200 calories to even think about losing weight. After about 5 weeks, I've lost 5 lb. But it didn't come off evenly. I lost 2 lbs the first week, then nothing for 2 weeks. Then 1 lb the 3rd week, nothing the 4th week and then 3 lbs the 5th week. So, I can go for several weeks with the scale claiming I've lost nothing. My clothes will be lose, I'll feel thinner but the scale will say nothing, then suddenly whoosh. I weigh every day and graph it. It is definitely not a regular steady decrease.
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    @cedarsidefarm Don't let the scale get you down. Take some body measurements as well, at least chest, waist and hips. If you see a plateau on the scale, but are losing inches, that is still fantastic! It means you are losing fat, but also gaining muscle, which is denser.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Don't look at each day separately.... chart your TRENDS. You will see the curve slope down.
    [img][/img]rcLg4nRGi.png
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I lost about 40 pounds counting calories, and I was hungry all the time. I switched to keto and have lost almost another 70. I have found I have long plateaus where I feel good and am happy with what I am eating but the scale does not move. I figure this is practice for maintenance. I did experience one bizarre 6-week plateau where I lost 5 inches on my waist measurement. I was buying new jeans and drilling new holes in my belt every time I turned around it seemed. I have been keto for about 15 months and was just counting calories for the 10 months before that.

FWIW, I try to limit my net carbs to 20 a day.