Advice about not losing weight...

Options
khelm31
khelm31 Posts: 51 Member
Ok, so I've been exercising 6-7 days a week minimum of 30 min for the last month, eating 1,000-1200 calories-watching my sugar and carbs. Scale isn't moving. I had a fill in my lapband at the end of Dec. I've been at the same weight for a year now. I've tried going dairy free, gluten free and pretty much anything I can think of. Two doctors have done lab work and both are saying things are normal. Debating if I should see an endocrinologist or perhaps had more tests done to check the lapband. To my lapband peeps, any suggestions?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm VSG so not lapband but I can tell you this - Calorie counting DOESN'T WORK. Time and time again I see posts like this. If the "law" of thermodynamics worked you would have definitely lost weight in the past year. The average person "burns" 1500-3000 calories a day.

I don't know the specifics of what you're eating but here's my experience. When I really watched my sugars and refined carbs I was able to eat MORE and LOSE more weight. That included cutting out all the "healthy" processed foods like the protein shakes, bars, mixes, etc. When the factory does the processing for us our bodies have to do less work to digest that stuff. I'm almost three years post op. Have not experienced any significant weight gain. I eat 2,000-3,000 calories a day and exercise regularly. I weigh what I weighed in high school and am fitter than I've been at any point in my aduly life (I'm 45)

I'll keep saying it because I want people to achieve their health goals. If you eat mostly whole foods and limit the processed stuff you can not be hungry and get to a healthy weight. Not to mention all the other health metrics that will improve. It worked for me and I think it can work for most.
  • khelm31
    khelm31 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yes I agree on cutting out the processed foods. I do hate counting calories, but the doctor I go to had set specific perimeters for calories, protein, carbs, etc. So I was going along with it so they will see that it's not working. Over the past year, I have tried many different things sometimes counting calories and sometimes not. I did do the whole 30 one time and lost some weight and on that you can't count calories, just eat certain foods, but it's not easy. Congrats on your success. When I got the band it was still the popular thing to do, but now not so much. Perhaps it is just not going to work for me. I do find that the more I work out, that I might need to eat more, but the band kind of prevents that. :(
  • Time4Nana
    Time4Nana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My daughter had the lap band and had to have it removed. Then they did a revision because her lap band began to cause medical problems to a RNY.

I had a RNY myself and the only thing my nutritionist told me was to eat 80 - 90+ grams of protein, no processed foods, sugar, rice, pasta, potatoes, or breads. So the only thing I needed to really count was my protein.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    khelm31 wrote: »
    Thanks! Yes I agree on cutting out the processed foods. I do hate counting calories, but the doctor I go to had set specific perimeters for calories, protein, carbs, etc. So I was going along with it so they will see that it's not working. Over the past year, I have tried many different things sometimes counting calories and sometimes not. I did do the whole 30 one time and lost some weight and on that you can't count calories, just eat certain foods, but it's not easy. Congrats on your success. When I got the band it was still the popular thing to do, but now not so much. Perhaps it is just not going to work for me. I do find that the more I work out, that I might need to eat more, but the band kind of prevents that. :(

If you feel you need to eat more but physically can't, try eating more calorically dense foods, like whole cheese, nut butters, add more healthy fats like real butter or olive oil into your diet.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm a calorie counter and it's what works for me. It sounds like what you're eating and how much exercise you're getting is perfect if you wanted to maintain your weight. It can be difficult but are you able to add an extra 15 minutes exercise in the morning and again in the evening. If you don't want to change your food maybe you need a boost in exercise. Toward the end of my losing phase to move the scales I had to do the 'Fast diet', meaning two days out of the week I had to dramatically reduce my caloric intake, I would do two 500 calorie days. One of my meals on those days would be steamed vegetables and a pouch of lemon pepper tuna. That was roughly 140 calories, I could have egg beaters for breakfast 30/40 calories, and fish for dinner with either raw or steamed veggies for the remaining calories.

I was sleeved but since I'm a calories in versus calories burned girl I don't believe there is any difference between the sleeve or a lap band.