Water in the ear

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Anyone know how to get stubbornly trapped water out of the ear? I have never had a problem until yesterday, and it's still stuck. Have tried the gravity method, cupping my hand for suction, and the hair dryer to no avail. Have even tried the odd suggestions of standing on my head and also jumping up and down. The awful muffled sound has eased but my ear is aching and it is clearly blocked.

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    ah that's horrible. sympathies!

I have managed so far with just tilting my head - admittedly sometimes for over 15 minutes but then whooosh it comes out.

Hope it resolves soon!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I can't swim without earplugs for this reason. I think there is a product you can buy (drops) that will dry it up. It's maddening, isn't it??
  • ceolyn
    ceolyn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    An old trick I learned when I swam competitively was to put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the blocked ear. Wait 30-60 seconds and then tilt your head over. Your ear should drain. If it doesn't you may want to see a Dr. and consider swimming with earplugs to prevent it.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I ended up having that ear suctioned as it was blocked with wax which apparently makes the water stick to it. The relief was wonderful lol.