The last 6 pounds?!

Options
shroodle88
shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
Hello Everyone,

About once a year, I make an effort to lose the same 6kg all over again. Miraculously (and rather frustratingly), I always plateau the same weight - 6 pounds before goal weight where I stay until I give up. I am 1.68m and at 61kg. I want to get down to 58. It's the weight I happily had all through my twenties. I am on 1200cals.

This time round, I am trying to do it differently: I am not focussing so much on the diet aspect, but on portion control and am trying to shift my mindset that this is just how I am eating from now on. It's the new normal. So far so good. I am much more relaxed and less interested in short term weight loss. In for the long haul, so to speak.

But as I have been plateauing once again for weeks now, I wonder - are there any tips or trick to losing those last pounds? I am not in a hurry, but it would be nice to see to changes eventually. Or is it normal to plateau for long stretches if you are close to your goal weight? - Any ideas & advice welcome!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The last lbs can be hard, slow, water weight can mask progress, also you don't have as much wiggle room in your deficit as you used to and it can be easy to go over your goal.

1200 seems pretty low for your stats. Are you weighing and measuring your food?
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Tracking meticulously is the key. Knowing your TDEE is very important too. Maybe you're not losing weight but your body composition is changing? Any changes in how your clothes feel?
  • shroodle88
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! I am a bit over my grump, I guess. Yes, I do track religiously & my clothes are feeling heaps better already. - A source of endless delight at the moment :-)

I just want to get back to weight I had all through my twenties and have a comfortable margin, so that if I gain a pound sometimes, I won't immediately be back in tight-pants territory.

But I've also read up a bit more, and it seems that the last few pounds are really just very slow to go, as you said sardelsa. Maybe I'll just have to contend myself and be patient. I am back at work now as well and that means a regular commute by bike, which can only help.

As for 1200cals - I started at a higher number, but MFP has continued to reduce it bit by bit. I can manage reasonably well (with the occasional splurge).

So, in for the long run, be patient and keep going. Good luck to you guys as well!
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    For the last few pounds, your logging has to be extremely tight. That means that even “the occasional splurge” could be throwing you off. Do you log it when you splurge? How many calories over do you go?

Additionally, do you eat back exercise calories? You may be over-estimating your burn.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Also, try not to be tied to a number on the scale. Go by how your clothes fit instead or measurements. Your body composition may have changed and hitting that number may not work anymore. You just want to look like you did in your 20's right? It doesn't really matter what weight you look like that anymore does it?
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My friends here – sardelsa and mom23mangos are right on point!

I would also add that while you can do many things to lose that last bit of weight, keeping it off may be more of a challenge in deprivation than you are counting on and should not become 'normal'. It may be that you aim to drop some water for a special occasion, but then be happy with the +5lbs the rest of the time!
  • shroodle88
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for your responses and putting things in perspective.

My new 'normal' is not about deprivation (I manage to eat at least one cookie and have a little glass of port almost every day :-) - but it's about listening to my body rather than just shovelling dinner in because it's a way to relax, to feel more substantial, to let go of stress. Turns out, I naturally need a lot less than what I was eating before. So, it's more about accepting that less is actually enough.

Mom23mangos - I've been thinking about why I would be so tied to a number. I guess, it's part of a bigger change and it's about re-connecting with a springier, more joyful self that I used to be and for various reasons let go. It's not about BEING twenty-five again. It's more about my stubborn intention to fit into my little black dress again and recover a sense of confidence and connectedness with my body.

At the moment, it's a huge thrill that I am beginning to see again the physical outline of that confident, sexy person I used to be - and I am good with my saggier boobs and a bit more cellulite. :-) But, as I said, this is part of a bigger process and it's entirely possible that in a few months time the number itself won't matter anymore.

I agree with you, Jen2133: the real challenge will be to find a new equilibrium once I get to goal weight: a bit more generous than what I am eating now, but still based on the mantra that I don't eat more than I need to feel sated.

Btw, I stepped on the scales this morning and saw 60.6 for the first time in years! Small victories and I will simply keep going.

Thanks for your time, guys & all the best to you!