Excess skin removal

Replies

• Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Swelling is going down. I go in on Monday to have the drains removed. I think it’s weird the drains are in my hips, but they are doing their job...
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    @Wonderwomanvik
    My insurance is Medicare... so for anyone out there that has been told they won’t cover it... they will. As long as it is medically necessary.

Hope you’re feeling better from your surgery! Thanks for sharing your experience.

What kind of evidence did you present for them to cover it? My primary insurance won’t cover it.

Thanks!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    I started having skin infections. I burned my stomach and the skin would not heal because of the way it was stretched.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    I'm glad to know you're making progress.

I'm curious and you don't have to answer if you don't want to but do you know how much skin you had removed. I'm asking because I believe I have about 5 pounds of excess skin all over my body (arms, back, abdomen, thighs, butt, etc.) I did a body fat test using calipers and the 5 pounds is based on that test and the person who performed the test. The BMI scales don't match the test results. I'm okay with the way I look (spanks are wonderful clothing enhancers) so no one knows what goes under my clothing.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    I am not sure. That is going to be one of my questions on Monday when I have my post op/drain removal appointment. If I had to guess... I’d say my stomach alone was 5lbs. But that is just a guess @loveshoe
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Thanks for being brave enough to share the reality of the surgery. Best wishes for as smooth a recovery as is possible!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    One week post OP:

Still a lot of swelling. Dr said looks good. Drains have to stay in another week because the fluid output is still too high. She Said I’m doing too much and need to only get up to use bathroom and take my one walk a day.
    Is it me or does my new belly button looks like a heart... or the sign for Superman??? Haha
  • loveshoe
    Your incisions look much better and less painful. I do agree but I think it looks more like a badge for Superwoman. Anyone who can manage what looks like painful surgery has to be a Superwoman. Glad you're doing better and take the doctor's advice.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    edited January 2018
    Two weeks post op:
    I still cannot drive.
    Stitches still in.
    Both drains still in.
    But, I’ve gone down and up the stairs four times today... and walked for about 20 min.

Swelling is almost gone, but I’m still producing too much fluid in my drains:
    Goal: less than 30 ml/24 hrs
    Left drain: 110ml
    Right drain: 55ml
  • loveshoe
    Thanks for the update. Continue to take care of yourself.
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    @Wonderwomanvik , thank you so much for posting! I hope to take this journey myself in nine months, so your posts are eye-opening. Question: why can you not drive? Swelling, pain meds, too uncomfortable?
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I hope things keep getting better for you and that you can soon have your drains out
  • girlalmighty08
    girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
    edited February 2018
    My insurance is Medicare... so for anyone out there that has been told they won’t cover it... they will. As long as it is medically necessary.

Any examples of what "medically necessary" would entail? And how did you find out, through your doc or did you plead your case directly to your insurance provider?
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    Wonderwoman hope your doing well. We haven't heard anything since Jan 30th. Did you get the drains out yet? Are you now able to drive? How is the pain?
    I was suppose to have a Brachioplasty on Monday 2/12 but I got sick Jan 30th and my surgery has been postpponed until March 19th. This would have been my second covered surgery. The first was a Breast Reduction. I have 3 more I need to go through.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    It’s been a rough February.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    @girlalmighty08
    I had a scar from a burn that didn’t heal properly because of the badly stretched skin. I will attach a pic. This “scar” or lesion would break open, bruise and bleed. The only remedy for this lesion was skin grafts or removal.
    I also suffered from recurrent skin infections (known as SSTI’s, Skin and soft-tissue infections) requiring debridement and/or drainage and antibiotic treatment. This is why the insurance covered it.
    @ssflbelle2012
    Can you tell me why the insurance is covering your brachioplasty?
  • ssflbelle2012
    edited February 2018
    Have lost over 280 pounds and have excess skin all the way down to my wrist. The surgeon took care of the approval for me and stated the weight of the excess skin on my arms causes arm movement difficulty and I get shooting pains from the nerves and bad skin infections. Here is a picture of my arms. jy9n6io6zcwx.jpgucxrq6lh7fur.jpg

• ssflbelle2012
    Wonderwoman it was good to hear from you. You have been through a lot. Hope things are getting easier for you.
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    @ssflbelle2012 , please let us know how you do on your surgery, and CONGRATS on losing 280 pounds!

@Wonderwomanvik , sorry to hear that February has been rough, hope things are improving for you!
  • Elyseinchi
    Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
    Thank you soooo much for sharing your experience and for sharing your pictures. Your incisions look great... soon this will be a distant memory for you. Keep feeling better every day and keep us all informed as to your progress. You are inspirational @Wonderwomanvik