zero carb

Options
cgcrutch
cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
Anyone doing carnivore or zero carb diet? What's your experience? Or does anyone know if this way of eating can be healthy long term, like for the rest of your life?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hello. Carnivore for several years now. Friends with people who have been carnivore for decades. It can be done for your whole life and your health will be better because of it.

We have a small group on MFP, but it's pretty quiet over there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120342-low-carber-carnivore-club

The main place to come talk with us are on reddit ( http://www.reddit.com/r/zerocarb ) or on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZeroCarbHealth/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/zioh2/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrincipiaCarnivora/ and probably others I am forgetting). There is also a Facebook group for the current monthly challenge Dr. Shawn Baker started: https://www.facebook.com/groups/163527891074530/

All of that said, I'm willing to answer any and all of your questions right here--assuming I know the answers. I'm on this path for life.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I’m carnivore that has had some regretful plant eating episodes a few times over the last year and a half. I do it because I discovered upon trying it out that it was plants that were responsible for the IBS symptoms.
    FitGoat is who introduced me to the idea and hosted a month long challenge at one time which I participated in. The fact I feel best this way tells me it’s absolutely a good long term plan. The only time I don’t feel well is if I eat a little vegetable.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Do you have to supplement your diet with raw or organ meats? Or pills? I'm wondering about vitamin deficiency from a diet lacking variety
  • FIT_Goat
    edited January 2018
    Options
    We've known for over 70 years, from experiments and experience, that muscle meat alone has more than enough nutrients to not only keep people in optimal health, but even return them to optimal health from many diseased conditions.

The Fat of the Land by Stefansson [Pages 88-89]
    So far as present knowledge goes, there is in ordinary red meat, or in ordinary fresh fish, without the eating of anything from the body cavity, enough Vitamin C, or whatever it is that prevents scurvy, to maintain optimum health indefinitely, with a cooking to the degree which we call medium. Certainly this is true if the meat is cooked in large chunks, as with both Eskimos and northern forest Indians, rather than in thin slices, which latter style of cooking may, for all I know, decrease the potency of the scurvy-preventing factor.

There is no intention to deny, of course, that cooking to medium will somewhat lessen the meat's antiscorbutic value. What is to be said is only that even with medium cooking there appears to be left over, in fresh red meat or fresh fish, an abundance if not a superabundance of all the vitamins and of all the other factors necessary for keeping a man in top form indefinitely. If results contrary to this are obtained from experiments on guinea pigs, rats or chimpanzees, then it may be advisable to restrict the conclusions in each case to the animal from which these results were drawn.

I almost never eat organ meats. I sometimes eat raw meat, but only because I like tartare and not because I believe it has any nutritional benefit to me. I know many people who have eaten this way for years and year who never eat organs, raw, or even rare meat. We don't take any pills or supplements either. Meat is enough. I know it seems insane. I know it is contrary to all the things you read and all the health advice pushed in magazines, on television, and everywhere around you.

You're not going to be deficient. You will likely repair and improve any deficiencies you may currently have. While meat might "appear" to have less of certain nutrients than you need, the forms are the easiest for your body to utilize and the balance of the nutrients is optimal for health. There's no artificial vitamin that can outperform meat, aside from targeted single nutrient supplements to address known deficiencies. Even those aren't always needed, but they are an expedient approach to fixing an existing problem.

Edit: If you are concerned, or want to play it safe, do this under your doctor's supervision. Get blood tests now. Get them in six months or a year (sooner if you think something is wrong). I can tell you what the science says. I can tell you what my experience is and my observation of hundreds of other people's experiences are. But, you should see it for yourself.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a Joe Rogan podcast with Dr. Shawn Baker who is also carnivore keto. It's worth listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_Bc9hdHa0
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Sorry to bump this, but I was curious about this slant ever since @Sunny_Bunny_ mentioned it. How do you get your Vit C in? Do you take Vit C supplements? @FIT_Goat
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    jazzb9363 wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this, but I was curious about this slant ever since @Sunny_Bunny_ mentioned it. How do you get your Vit C in? Do you take Vit C supplements? @FIT_Goat

“In fact, meat not only prevents scurvy because it contains tiny quantities of vitamin C, it prevents it because it bypasses the need for vitamin C.

Vitamin C is required to form collagen in the body, and it does this – despite being described everywhere as an antioxidant – by oxidation. Vitamin C’s role in collagen formation is to transfer a hydroxyl group to the amino acids lysine and proline. Meat, however, already contains appreciable quantities of hydroxylysine and hydroxyproline, bypassing some of the requirement for vitamin C. In other words, your vitamin C requirement is dependent upon how much meat you do not eat.”

https://autoimmunethyroid.wordpress.com/2006/09/04/why-meat-prevents-scurvy/?hc_location=ufi
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Thank you @Sunny_Bunny_ ! There was a discussion on a Facebook group about this, and I sort of was just eating meat/eggs this week...except for today. Another woman mentioned she was trying zero carb/carnivore diet, and some of the comments were regarding the lack of Vit C and scurvy. I'm in the middle of a huge move, and will probably not even be eating reg keto for a while. But once I get all settled in, I'm going to give it a serious go!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    @jazzb9363 hope the move goes well <3
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Yeah, it turns out you don't need vitamin C, if you eat fresh meat. I didn't believe it, at first, because it is the opposite of what I believed. It turns out that I didn't need the vitamin C. I can verify that from experience.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    @jazzb9363 hope the move goes well <3

Thanks! I'm in my new adopted city this weekend. It's pretty nice! I went to my new work place, and it's huge compared to my current work place. It'll be an adjustment but I think a great experience.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Yeah, it turns out you don't need vitamin C, if you eat fresh meat. I didn't believe it, at first, because it is the opposite of what I believed. It turns out that I didn't need the vitamin C. I can verify that from experience.

Thanks! I like veggies, but it's getting to be a pain trying to come up with something different every meal. I always thought that I had to have some for their nutritional value.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Meat is amazingly nutrient dense, and the nutrients are very bio-available. Vegetables have nutrients, but many of those nutrients are not in a form the body can directly use or they aren't absorbed well.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    jazzb9363 wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Thanks! I like veggies, but it's getting to be a pain trying to come up with something different every meal. I always thought that I had to have some for their nutritional value.

I will eat one or two servings of leafy greens in a typical day. I do take a multivitamin just to hedge my bets.
  • RoxyWhoShrinkyDink
    Options
    I've been carnivoring it for about 10 days now. I feel amazing!