Things you wish people knew before surgery.

fit_chickx
fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
My heart is breaking. I am watching two good friends struggle. One three years out with a significant gain. The other is six months out. lost 27 pounds gained 10 pounds back.

Weight gain could be from complications, needing a revision, health issues or not following the plan.

Is there anything you would want new people to know?
What advice can you give that makes you successful long term with surgery?
Real advice if you had a substantial gain. How did you get the weight back off?

Replies

• Naomi_the_Great
    Naomi_the_Great Posts: 20 Member
    fit_chickx wrote: »
    I gain weight easily by eating off plan for a few days. It takes months to get it off.

Oh my gosh, this.

Trying to stay on point day in and day out is so exhausting. As a bonus, I wish the surgery came with a high metabolism! Ha! ;)

I just look at the office donuts and I gain 5 lbs.
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    I just posted in the Success section so I will be brief here: put yourself first. You have been told what will make you successful. Do it. Bring the food you need if there is no other option. Join in the social events, eating what you pre-ordered from calling the restaurant: a child’s portion of salmon and green beans, discreetly ordered privately? Sweetly answer inquiring looks with “doctors orders.” Put your health goals first! I am cheering for you!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    anbrdr wrote: »
    The hunger comes back. The ability to eat crap food comes back. The urge to snack comes back. Carbs will be my enemy for the rest of my life
    Yep. My surgeon even told me, and I quote, "Carbs are the enemy".

@anbrdr it's good to see you back :smile:
  • TheOne1985
    TheOne1985 Posts: 2 Member
    Did anyone who had the surgery still smoke cigs?
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    @TheOne1985 My co-worker smokes cigarettes. He stopped briefly right before and after he had vsg in Sept 2014. But he eventually went back to it. He also went back to his old eating habits and stopped exercising. He's gained back at least 50lbs he lost. He doesn't even talk about his surgery anymore.
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    YOU cannot put in BASIC effort and expect EXTRAORDINARY results.

Follow the program, don't bend the rules, get exercise in, be patient, you didn't gain it all overnight, surgery isn't a magic pill that'll make it fall off overnight.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    I have been taking Phentermine 37.5 mg daily in the mornings since mid-October and have lost 17 pounds without feeling hungry and with out-of-control cravings. Meaning...I can do this without being miserable and "hangry". :)

Phentermine aka Adipex is good for controlling cravings and helping you get a handle on things. Just remember that you shouldn't take it for more than 12 weeks straight.

• CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    I wish people knew that it's not magic. It requires hard work and dedication. If you stop working, the weight-loss will stop as well. The first year is the hardest for food as your new stomach is so sensitive, but it's also the most essential and the easiest time to develop good habits.

I have had a couple of time where I've tried to eat some things that I shouldn't (mainly because we were on the road for softball and I didn't know what else to try), but I can't stand the way that they make me feel so I developed "Softball Habits" very quickly where I have high protein snacks ready for when I'm driving.

My biggest suggestion would be to keep a food journal for post surgery to log not necessarily what you're eating, but how it's making you feel. That way, when you want to try it again, you can look back and determine whether or not it's even worth it. I had a major aversion to poultry for the first 6 months (I LOVE LOVE LOVE poultry) so I made a point to try it again once I got past that 6 month point and I was fine. However, there are some other things that I won't even give a second chance because they're not worth it.