OMAD everyday? Muscle retention?

Options
Guys,

Is it ok to do OMAD everyday? My plan is 100 days. I’ve been hitting 500 calories under. Will I lose muscle mass? I’m not a small guy (fat and muscle), so I don’t want to lose the good I got just the fat. Can I do OMAD and still gain muscle?

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Yes, you can do OMAD everyday! There will always be some extent of muscle loss when you're losing weight...the general rule of thought is that the slower you lose the more you can hold on to your lean muscle mass. That being said, holding on to what you have and BUILDING MORE/NEW muscle are two vastly different things - it's extremely difficult (I'd argue impossible) to gain muscle while eating at a deficit. Every body is different so play with it and find what works for you :)
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I had that concern too, but after having a bod pod fitness assessment which showed very minimal muscle loss, I was confident that I would be able to attain good muscle mass while doing OMAD. Below is the results from my October test with the results from 2 months prior. You should be fine doing 100 days of OMAD.

cd0mpkrsd0v3.png

Looking at this from August 14, 2017 to October 23, 2017 (70 days) I lost 3.5 pounds and of that 3.5 pounds, 3.08 of that weight was fat.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have been ketoish 2+ years. I eat more protein then the typical keto diet but definitely low carb and high fat. I have been OMAD for nearly 4 weeks, workout regularly and strength has not dropped off.

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    When I started OMAD, I wasn't lifting or watching protein much and after a few months inbody measurements said I lost 9-lbs of muscle. I then started watching the protein and lifting and after a couple of months I gained it back so I think you can at least maintain or close to it doing OMAD. I'm just doing lat pulldowns right now and pushups and have been doing them for about 3-4 weeks and I am getting stronger and can see it in the mirror. It may be difficult getting all the protein in in a small eating window but I think I'm doing fine now since I'm getting stronger and can see it even though I lately have not been worrying about my protein intake.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Interesting article about fasting and muscle and HGH.

"This HGH is crucial in the maintenance of lean mass – both muscle and bone. One of the major concerns about fasting is the loss of lean mass. This does not occur. In fact, the opposite happens – there is likely an increase in lean mass. "

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-growth-hormone-physiology-part-3/