Keto initial weight gain?

Options
kokonani
kokonani Posts: 507 Member
I've started keto again after taking about 8 months break. From the last time, I don't recall gaining weight in the first few days. I've gained 2 lbs and feel so bloated! I've been drinking alot of water with sea salt to prevent the keto flu. Is this normal? I'm eating at a small deficit. (About 1500-1700 calories).

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight to me.
    Only drink to thirst but make sure you get your sodium in.
    5000-7000mg a day is recommended on keto.
    You’re taking in extra water and sodium but you probably haven’t lost much of either yet if you just started back. And drinking too much water compared to sodium intake can slow the release of extra water weight.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Is it possible all that salt is kicking in to make you retain water before ketosis has kicked in to make you lose it?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Is it possible all that salt is kicking in to make you retain water before ketosis has kicked in to make you lose it?

I'd say that's likely.

OP, If you can't stand it, take your sodium down a hair. Not everyone needs the same amount. The general rec is 3000-5000mg, however quite a few folks do better in the beginning above the 5k. And again, many do fine just above 3k. YMMV on the exact best amount for you.

Give it time. It's better to not have a whoosh than to feel like death-warmed-over.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I'm just being overly cautious and it's definitely backfiring.