In sickness and in health!

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
When it comes to illness, when is it OK to keep swimming and when should you skip it? Are there any general guidelines around this?

I've woken up with a sore throat, headache and general aches so not sure if I should still swim or take the day off.

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    How much do you feel it would be a faff? Sometimes the steam room after makes me feel better.
    But it is really tricky and purely based on if you can be bothered. It may exhaust you more than usual though :)
    Hope you feel better asap
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    How much do you feel it would be a faff? Sometimes the steam room after makes me feel better.
    But it is really tricky and purely based on if you can be bothered. It may exhaust you more than usual though :)
    Hope you feel better asap

It sounds like it could be the flu. Certainly contagious. Don't swim until you stop coughing and sneezing, because you can make others ill. Rest, lots of fluids. Mucinex can help with the congestion or sinus headaches
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    If I can breathe I swim. Sometimes allergies turn into bronchitis and that puts me out a couple days.
    Obviously and intestinal infection would be swim stopper too. :wink:
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My general rule of thumb if it's just congestion in your head keep going. If illness has moved into lungs or general body take it easy and maybe just go for a light walk if you feel like you need to do something.