goals check in

Options
2»

Replies

• bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my progress with regards to my stamina is not as good as I thought it would be, but I am still managing to improve myself. So overall quite happy with the result. I am attending pilates twice a week instead of 3 times, but I train at home too, so this is overall going well. Healthy eating habits can still be improved though, still eating too much sweets and sugar, but will cut down to 0 from 14 Feb till Easter.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    New goals:
    1) don't make lingering injuries worse
    2) sort out worst two forms
    3) master tornado kicks
    4) get back to lowest 2017 weight.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    New goals:
    1) don't make lingering injuries worse
    2) sort out worst two forms
    3) master tornado kicks
    4) get back to lowest 2017 weight.

i just looked at the tornado kick on youtube - i think we have the same kick in wushu, though maybe the wushu one bends lower to the ground before kicking - not sure? when i was first learning this kick i found this quick tutorial really helpful because it breaks down how to get the kick in a progression: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3kQzD361uY&index=6&list=PLAB3003008EA1BD04

another thing that really helped in class was these corrections my teacher made - at the bottom of your squat shape before you kick, make sure you're not pitching forward and instead keep your back straight up and down. also to really use the weight shift from left to right leg to try to get more height in your jump.

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Similar name, but judging from the video, different kick...

In Taekwondo, the Tornado kick is also known as "reverse round kick" - the striking surface is the top of the foot, or alternatively the instep.

The kick that you show here, in Taekwondo, is called a Butterfly kick - aka jump reverse inner crescent kick.

To make things even more confusing, "Butterfly Kick" has recently come to mean something else in martial arts.. this appears to be coming from the martial arts "Tricking" community - that is positively odd looking to me.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hmm. I have mixed reviews here.

On the one hand, it is a different kick to the one I can't quite pull off yet (like @bwmalone said). On the other hand, trying to do the wushu tornado kick/tkd butterfly kick seems like it's actually improving my tkd tornado kicks!

Also, it's an awesome kick in itself, well worth learning, and a great tutorial.

Finally, this discussion may support my point of view in something and I always like that. :smirk:

See, a while back, another student told me that jump inward crescent kicks weren't an official TKD kick when I was doing them in practice and we had quite the hissed debate over it.

I incline to the point of view that if I find they come naturally as a result of learning to perform jump round kicks in TKD training, then I bet multiple martial arts masters already discovered them before I was born, and that's gotta include General Choi et al. They inclined to the point of view that they hadn't been taught them yet (or didn't remember having been taught them) so they probably weren't officially allowed, and I should stoppit. :smiley:

I now reason that if jump reverse inward crescent kicks have been developed, the jump inward crescent kick must have been developed too! See, logic!

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know the origins of the jump inner crescent (reverse or straight) - but so much of Taekwondo was borrowed from other arts, it is hard to say if the jump inner crescent kick originated from TKD, Wushu, Shaolin, or Shotokan... But as far as being an "official" kick of TKD... Well now that's another kettle of fish, because what is or is not an "official" kick in Taekwondo varies from organization to organization, even school to school!

There are kicks I was required to learn going through the ranks that have little to nothing to do with forms that we were taught... Or aren't used in forms until high rank black belt, but I never found them to be "not official". Some of them are holdovers from forms that are no longer practiced in our organization, and some are just considered as "curriculum" even though we are not required to demonstrate them in forms or otherwise at testing.

And you are 100% right that some kicks are simply derivatives of other kicks, or even as stepping stones to learning more advanced kicks... Otherwise we'd all be learning jump spin wheel kicks as white belts.

• Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    "butterfly kick" in wushu is probably similar to the tricking/parkour butterflies - almost like a semi-aerial cartwheel, maybe it's the one the bwmalone says is odd looking. i have trouble with these but getting a little better!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWC2AI6mm8Y