Sleepy after eating

Options
janette130
janette130 Posts: 66 Member
Hello!
I just finished my first full week (in ketosis) and noticed yesterday and then again today that I get very sleepy after eating (breakfast I don't get sleepy).
The first time I noticed this was yesterday for lunch (4 oz of chicken, 1 cup broccoli).
Then again mid morning snack (babybell cheese and bacon strip) along with Pero w/ 2 tsp sweetener)
Any ideas and has anyone else had this problem? I almost feel better when I don't eat.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Sounds like reactive hypoglycemia. Some people have a severe insulin response to artificial sweeteners, so that might be part of the problem. That's not a lot of food, how steep is your calorie deficit each day? Also, make sure you are getting plenty of salt, chicken and broccoli shouldn't cause a huge insulin response in a normal healthy metabolism, but if your salt is low then thyroid and adrenal function can get really wonky.
  • janette130
    Options
    Not sure on the percentage but my resting calories are 1560 and I'm staying between 1000 and 1200. On days I exercise I'm more depending on the intensity. Before this diet I did not use salt, BUT I have been salting my food. Maybe I need more salt?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    janette130 wrote: »
    Not sure on the percentage but my resting calories are 1560 and I'm staying between 1000 and 1200. On days I exercise I'm more depending on the intensity. Before this diet I did not use salt, BUT I have been salting my food. Maybe I need more salt?

I'd try upping sodium if you have no medical reason not to.

Me either in regards to the bold. Back in 2013 (well before keto) I was on meds for high BP and my physician recommended "not to exceed 1500 mg" of sodium per day which I chose to adhere to. It was then I discovered just how much sodium occurs in some foods. Even naturally. Shrimp. Beet greens.

In 2016, having been off high BP meds for a couple years and having long since lost all my excess weight, I decided to try keto for reason other than weight/body fat. I learned quickly of the need for increased sodium (having read about it in this forum). I still don't regularly salt my food so I often need a "hit" of a thousand or so mg in addition to joyously eating "salty things" like shrimp, crab, kielbasa, cottage cheese.

My 1st sign of a sodium need is either general "clammy-ness" or when on my brisk walks, lethargy. I don't feel sleepy but my legs will feel like lead. I keep bullion cubes in my back pack or pocket just for that purpose-a hit of salt/sodium. It works every time within about 10 minutes. Occasionally, I'll get lethargic just around the house. I'll notice it just going up the stairs so wil take a hit of salt (or pickle juice).

FWIW: Though my docs sodium recommendation was "not to exceed 1500 mg" when I was on meds and over weight, that "standard" changed to "not to exceed 4000 mg". That gave me comfort that increased sodium was OK (for me) though I still don't go "crazy" with it. It hasn't caused my BP to rise. :)

• janette130
    Options
    Thanks so much for the post kpk54 and tcunbeliever. I have never tried a LCHF diet before - so this process of listening to my body is very new. Now I will eat lunch and see what happens - steak and salad :)
    I might have let my blood sugar get too low (waiting too long in between meals) before eating. Maybe I spiked and then plummeted even though the meals were low carb. Hmmm
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    look at all of your electrolytes. potassium and magnesium deficiency can also be an issue.
  • janette130
    Options
    Feeling better today - took some calcium/mag and ate more sodium. I've only been on a week so I"m expecting this will get a little better everyday HOWEVER I have noticed a change for the better with my joints/muscles being less stiff YAY!!