Holding off eating until mid morning or 12?

Options
Hi,

The eat regularly approach hasn’t always assisted with my binge/compulsive eating.

I wonder if skipping or delaying breakfast has helped any if you? It would take iron willpower for me...

Replies

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I use to eat one meal a day at 2pm and it was a very big meal at that time but then I became a diabetic and could not do that anymore due to my blood sugars getting to high when I would eat like that.

Now I find it best to eat a meal every 4 or 4.5 hours without snacking in between meals. If I wait much longer than that (6 hours or more) between meals, I'm much more likely to end up having a big binge (6000-8000 calories) wiping out my calorie deficit for several days. I'm not really hungry in the morning but eat breakfast anyway rather than wait until lunch unless I'm fasting for a blood test at the dr's office (& when I do that I find my appetite is ravenous at lunch and too easy to eat way too much or end up binging).
  • wibblewobblejellyontheplate
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.

I think the thing is we are all so different and managing our different physiological and psychological responses is useful.

I just found that I eat because I like eating, breakfast is at 6 am with coffee, then by ten I’m going for my second breakfast.

Just thinking of one day where by the milk was off abs I was furious but went without. I was starving by lunchtime and yes, had a massive lunch but I wasn’t constantly snacking. I had felt hunger, satisfied that. I’m finding I get very tired by about two hours post breakfast even after healthy options. Then reach for an Apple, then toast and today home compulsively snAcked.

I deal with lots of binge triggers because food is calming and I love it but I want to retrain my brain. A loaf of bread is not acceptable which is actually what I can get through- I’m a true binger!
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I do much better skipping breakfast and just having coffee with cream. If I eat breakfast, then I know I have to eat less at lunch and dinner, and feeling restricted is a trigger for me. In fact, the worst possible plan for me is the three meals and two snacks plan that so many others do well on...for me, that means tiny meals that never satisfy and a constant sense of deprivation, leading to eventual overeating. But, as you correctly note, everyone is different!
    Options
    Thanks for that Nevadaden. Interesting insight. The frequent snacking thing is bliss but er, not helpful for me either...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I never could skip breakfast, but I could do two eating windows. I'd eat breakfast, skip lunch, then eat dinner. I couldn't do more than that. My endocrinologist actually said that anyone with thyroid, metabolism, or cortisol issues should not skip breakfast without testing first. You might temporarily feel better but actually be worsening your health.
  • Cherry_2000
    Cherry_2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Now, this has been working for me--it probably would not work for others, but it seems to be working for me: I eat 'brunch' around 11am. Around 2 pm, I eat a yogurt or a banana. Then for dinner I eat a huge leafy salad with a drizzle of dressing and a cup of whatever I made everyone for dinner that night. Doing this, and faithfully logging my calories into MyFitnessPal, is really helping me to stay on track and to stay around 1,500 calories a day. I tried the eating 6 small meals a day. It works great for a friend of mine. Didn't work at all for me. Sent me off to bingeville.
    Options
    Thanks for sharing knit or miss and cherry. I think it would take iron will power on my part but when I’ve been forced to delay breakfast I have tended to have not binged but maybe other variables involved.
  • Cherry_2000
    Cherry_2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's hard. Lord it's hard at times. But when I feel a binge coming on or even if it jumps up and surprises me out of nowhere, I employ delay tactics. I'll district myself with doing something; walking around the block, cleaning something, or if I'm just feeling too wore out, meditation or daydreaming--usually about the beach. It really works.