Keto meets Intermittent Fasting

Options
I recently started a Keto plan in addition to my I.F., I must say that the results and the amount of time it takes to shed some weight is fast and furious. I started Monday and I have already been able to push past my plateau. I was stuck at a weight for about 1 and a half weeks. I then did some research and found out that the body is very adaptive and that in order to lose weight you have to switch your macros around every now and again to ensure optimal results. I think I will try the cyclical style of Keto, this is when you keep your body in a state of Ketosis 5 days and eat carbs for 2 days. This seems like it will work out for me as far as being able to sustain this for an unforeseen amount of time. I would obviously keep my Keto days during the week and carb days on the weekend, just to make the weekend that much more enjoyable. All the while I will still monitor my calories to ensure that regardless of what I do I stay at a caloric deficit. Do you think this seems like the way to go?

Replies

• lagina19871
    lagina19871 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello, This sounds like a great idea. I recently starting back keto. I did it before without fasting and was able to lose 9 pounds in two weeks. I have been intermittent fasting since October and have only lost a few pounds since when I do eat I end up binging on junk. So I starting back doing keto on Feb 6th, and hopefully this will jump start my weight loss!!! Feel free to add me!!!
  • joiahstewart
    joiahstewart Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's great that you are starting back on Keto. I am sad to hear that you only lost a few pounds on IF, you have to make sure maintain a 500 calorie deficit. This helped me continuously lose and never gain weight, I believe whole heartedly that it is a phenomenal tool to use in aiding in weight loss. It has challenged me and my self discipline at times. There is no shame in binge eating, this while happen every now and again, but once it does you just have to get back on the program. I look forward to hearing from you in the future in regard to your progress!
  • tdchurches
    tdchurches Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started eating Keto style about a week ago, and doing intermittent fasting at the same time. I have lost 6 pounds since then, but am very encouraged. I wasnt able to get off my weight mark for quite some time (couple months). I really think it would be harder for me to take two days "off" every week than not. I think it would be a lot more fun, and disrupt your lifestyle a lot less, but having to get back into ketosis, and have the feeling you are being "denied" carbs (I really love carbs, especially chips of any kind), would make it significantly harder to stay on the diet long term (dont know how much weight you have lose). I have lost 30-75lbs nine times in my life, and I have had success when I put my nose to the grindstone with a "get it done" attitude, and have not had success when I didnt.
  • Tamiwynell
    Tamiwynell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello guys!! 7 days in now and I love this WOE not to mention I lost 4.8 lbs in 7 days and I SURVIVED VALENTINE'S DAY. I'm learning a lot, I've been making sure I stay on track with macros. I have another app which calculates net carbs but it's basic and I wanted to use MFP to document goals etc. I keep hearing about I.F. Could someone explain this in a little more detail?
  • joiahstewart
    Options
    @tdchurches I have lost a total of 19 pounds with I.F. and I lost 8 pounds with Keto since I started. It is definitely a hard road living the Ketogenic lifestyle. I have much admiration and respect for anyone that can achieve and maintain this diet for a prolonged period of time. It takes extra discipline and dedication to abstain from carbohydrates even the simply carbs from fruits. I tend to miss those fruits and I do know that it is difficult for sure. Once my supplements and MCT powder is complete I will switch to a low carb/I.F. protocol. This may be less rigid and more sustainable than just eliminating one macro completely from my diet.
  • joiahstewart
    Options
    @Tamiwynell The I.F. protocol is simple, you don't eat for a prolonged period of time and wait for a feeding period to open up later on in the day. This in turn creates a period of mild ketosis from not eating for 16+ hours "Lean Gains" protocol (16 Hour Fast/ 8 Hour Feeding Window) , in addition the period of time you are eating is less than the time you are unable to eat. This creates a small window to get all your food in which could prove difficult for some or most. For example you have 8 to 6 hours to eat 1800 calories versus 14 to 16 hours to eat 1800 calories. So you create the optimal environment to be in a caloric deficit, also you can push it a step or 2 past by adopting the "Warrior Diet" protocol (20 hour Fast/4 Hour Feeding Window) or the ultimate "OMAD"(ONE MEAL A DAY) protocol (23 hour Fast/1 Hour Feeding Window). These tools all set the stage for a caloric deficit, I personally have been using the "Lean Gains" method. Once I feel like I have reached another plateau I am ramping it up to the "Warrior Diet" protocol to boost my potential for weight loss. Please let me know if you have more questions I would be more than happy to provide you with all the knowledge I have in regard to this weight loss tool.
  • chrissydag01
    chrissydag01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started the Keto diet at New Years- so 7 1/2 weeks in... I have lost 15 pounds which I am happy about, but the inches lost are amazing! I did not measure to begin, but am clearly down a full size in all areas of clothhing. I enjoy the IF (currently doing 16:8), but am curious about your tactic to change up the macros for a day or two a week... I had read somewhere that if you come out of ketosis it will take a few days to get back, and with this "cheat" once a week seems that you would only have a few days a week that the benefits of keto would be in effect? Another question is, how much fasting can you do before your body thinks it needs to store fat because of deficit as opposed to shedding pounds? Curious on your thoughts since I tend to find myself stalling with my current plan. THANKS! - Christina
  • joiahstewart
    Options
    @chrissydag01 I am not going to lie, it takes me about 2 to 3 days to get back into ketosis. I then stay on keto for 4 days then have a carb day. As far as starvation mode goes for I.F. I am sure that the benefits of I.F. stretch to about 48 hours.
  • gal4u2nv
    gal4u2nv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there..... I intermittent fast too, and am also keto.
    Have been on the keto way of life almost a year now and it is definitely the way for me. I usually intermittent fast 7days on the 16/8, but have just had the past 2wks off for Valentine’s Day and Chinese New Year..... day one back on keto today. After reading your plan I am thinking maybe I should try the cyclical style too as there are days when I just miss carbs sooooo much! What are u planning your macro percentages to be like on the weekend days where u are going to be consuming carbs?
    On a general note I keep my daily carbs below 18g, but on average I usually consume between 5-11g daily
  • joiahstewart
    Options
    @gal4u2nv My usual macros are at 15%/50%/35%, highest on Fat. I try to get between 120g to 150g of fat in addition to keeping my carbs below 30g if I can on my Keto days. On my carb day I lower fat to around 10%, all still trying to maintain my deficit. I have learned that everyday is different and sometimes I will go over my allotted calories. I just make sure that I regain focus for the days after for at least a 10 to 15 day period. I am still losing and I feel like getting those carbs in then lowering them actually helped me break my plateau which I was at for about a week and a half.
  • gal4u2nv
    gal4u2nv Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @joiahstewart I have currently kind of hit a plateau too, although having breaks here and there swinging in and out of keto since beginning of this year probably hasn’t helped me!
    My macros are currently F75%/P15%/C5%

Will definitely be looking into cyclical keto in the near future, need to swing back into ketosis 1st