Eat Fat Get Thin by Dr Hyman

Options
I just finished reading Eat Fat Get Thin. It provides a lot of information and suggests the use of more supplements than I’ve ever used. There is a highly structured 21 day detox period to eliminate cravings. Has anyone ever tried this? Was it effective?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The only think I supplement due to how I eat is sodium - extra salt and that's it.

I do have other supplements, but they are for perimenopause and carpal tunnel and such, not diet related.

Not familiar with the book or method, but I'm assuming LCHF?
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Funny, I did listen to the audiobook but I don't remember the 21 day detox. He has an awful voice and I think I really didn't listen as closely as I should have hehehe Maybe time to check out the ebook from my library!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @SueMizzou52 (your screen name rhymes) :)

I don't supplement except occasional 200 mg of magnesium and intentional increased sodium when I feel like I need to (not a salt fan but it is necessary for me on very low carb).

My reason for eating LCHF is improved satiety and reduced cravings so if I have the basics of his overall eating philosophy correct, it is fairly in line with how I eat..so of course I find it favorable and effective. :)

I've not read the book. What I gather from briefly looking on line is he's basically:

plenty of vegetables (75 % of your plate).
    starchy vegetables OK (1/2-1 cup at dinner)
    minimal fruit
    protein at every meal
    "healthy fats" without fear of fat (nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, some animal fats)
    No grains, no added sugar.

Is that correct? I didn't see mention of dairy in my brief reading. What's his take on dairy?

• SueMizzou52
    SueMizzou52 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No dairy for the first 21 days then add back slowly and mindfully. The veggies are all low glycemic index and a restricted list. The idea is to do away with sugar cravings. It appear to be LCHF. And he doesn’t recommend counting calories. I think I’ll try it to see if it keeps me honest. I’ll report back whether or not it works
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @SueMizzou52 It sounds doable to me and if you're like many others (myself included) you'll have reduced cravings though it may take a little time. My weight loss "diet" was 4 years ago but has always been whole foods, low carb, though the low carb part was unintentional. I had a burning need to quit (over) eating sweets so totally eliminated them. That was fairly easy in weight loss (for me) due to sheer determination to lose the darn weight but more difficult in maintenance. That's been more "head" and restriction related than actual biological cravings (IMO). My "problem".

The practice of removing grains and added sugars from a diet would place a lot of people in the "low carb" realm.

I was/am a calorie tracker but can certainly appreciate the concept of just choosing the "right" foods and not tracking. If someone can be mindful. Fast forward a few years and I am seeing where I have sometimes "eaten to calories" even though I may not have been hungry. That's a long story and not for this thread.

Good luck to you! Work it!