Keto Exit

Options
ClayBengal
ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
Has anyone hit their goal on keto and waned theirself off the diet? If so how did you adjust your diet?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I started eating keto 3 years into maintenance for reasons other than weight management and have since switched back to just low carb. Mostly.

2016: I ate less than 20 total carbs for 52 weeks as a trial.
    2017: I upped carbs to 50 since keto had no benefit for the reason I trialed it BUT keto really suppressed my hunger which was problematic pre keto. I was so hungry in 2014-2015, I was really reluctant to go higher carb and lower fat but towards the end of 2017 I became a little more carb flexible.

2018: I've just eaten my choice of "real food" with no attention to macro allocations just calories. Carbs range from 30 to 120 so I'm obviously still eating low carb overall. I've had potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, corn, a few pita chips, a brownie (ok 2), etc. Always mindful, never "pigging out".

Upping carb amounts hasn't been a negative. Even going back and forth low/high hasn't been problematic. I don't bloat. I don't have digestive issues. I don't retain fluid. I don't binge on sweets. I don't crave.

Just as many people "bank calories" for weekends...I don't necessarily bank carbs (it doesn't work that way) but I do "flex". I tend to eat ~50 carbs when at home and when at parties, restaurants, OP's homes, etc, I eat whatever. Works for me. What I'm watching mostly is hunger.
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I started eating keto 3 years into maintenance for reasons other than weight management and have since switched back to just low carb. Mostly.

2017: I upped carbs to 50 since keto had no benefit for the reason I trialed it BUT keto really suppressed my hunger which was problematic pre keto. I was so hungry in 2014-2015, I was really reluctant to go higher carb and lower fat but towards the end of 2017 I became a little more carb flexible.

2018: I've just eaten my choice of "real food" with no attention to macro allocations just calories. Carbs range from 30 to 120 so I'm obviously still eating low carb overall. I've had potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, corn, a few pita chips, a brownie (ok 2), etc. Always mindful, never "pigging out".

Upping carb amounts hasn't been a negative. Even going back and forth low/high hasn't been problematic. I don't bloat. I don't have digestive issues. I don't retain fluid. I don't binge on sweets. I don't crave.

Just as many people "bank calories" for weekends...I don't necessarily bank carbs (it doesn't work that way) but I do "flex". I tend to eat ~50 carbs when at home and when at parties, restaurants, OP's homes, etc, I eat whatever. Works for me. What I'm watching mostly is hunger.

If you don’t mind me asking what did your weight do in those couple of years?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I was keto for 1.5 years to lose the weight. A few months later, I quit it due to a stupid autoimmune bomb in my genes that suddenly woke up. It does not like ketosis AT ALL. But I stayed low-carb. I suffered the water weight (since I know it isn't fat) and went straight to 60-100g carbs and have stuck around here ever since. Sometimes I'll go as much as 150 for special occasions, but I always come back to the other range.

I really intended to stay keto forever. But life is what happens while we're busy making plans. I still hang around here since I have knowledge of my keto days to impart. And I do sometimes drift downward and end back up in keto territory briefly. Yesterday I had 50g of carbs with a bunch of fiber. I'll need to watch it today and eat a little higher carbs or my symptoms will flare up more.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    ClayBengal wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »

If you don’t mind me asking what did your weight do in those couple of years?

My weight, during strict keto beginning April of 2016 (for 52 weeks) to my current of "mostly keto" did/does the exact same thing it has always done in maintenance: fluctuate from goal weight to +5. I've not really paid attention to whether or not a "weight gain" occurred on a post-higher-carb day because it was never above of my ordinary fluctuations. I weigh every morning but I haven't tracked my weight for about a year. By now, I know what my weight does...fluctuate.

When I find myself hovering around the top end of my range for several days: I get off my recliner and move considerably more than my norm, cut back on calories for a week or two and track food intake like it is my job. I've been off and on with tracking food in 2017-2018 and haven't really struggled but have had to go back to "weight loss behaviors" periodically. Not recently, aka the last few months.

I've not (yet?) experienced "carb creep". I'm aware of the carbs I eat and I intentionally don't go overboard. I still have many days @50 total carb grams. I don't sweat it if I have 65 carbs in a day because I chose a bowl of chili with beans or a serving of someone's "chicken tortilla casserole" at a party. I have a few "higher carb flex days" sporadically throughout the year.

My one foot is firmly planted in low carb. My other foot is firmly planted in CICO.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure what I would even consider going back to.
    I will never eat grains again. Or added sugar.
    I don’t miss potatoes or other starchy vegetables so I don’t feel any need to try to have them back in my life.
    I guess I probably could enjoy fruit but since plants in general don’t agree with my digestion I don’t think they’re worth feeling bloated and having IBS again for.
    I like my health too much the way I eat now to ever consider changing it.
  • z_misetich
    z_misetich Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm doing keto for migraines, but after keto for 2 years I will switch to low carb and see how it goes...if I get a return of symptoms, I'll be right back to keto!

I had horrible migraines the past two years and I started keto in January and I had stopped all my preventative and active migraine medicine at the same time and NO more migraines. Like not even a headache... #Bliss

But, I'm not a doctor, lol, just saying Keto has been the only natural remedy I have ever found for my migraines.