Macros - HELP!

Options
meghanregan97
meghanregan97 Posts: 15 Member
edited March 2018 in Social Groups
Hi Ladies,

So I'm trying to figure out my macros, I keep playing with them, and using online calculators but I feel like the computer doesn't know how we ladies actually work. I keep going over on my fat, and not hitting my carb & protein goals. So I was wondering what everyone macros are. I'm 5'9" - 156 pounds - 24.1% body fat trying to lose 5 pounds a month till summer, I'm trying to workout a few days a week.

Thanks!

Replies

• bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I try for 30% protein, 35% fat and 35% carbs.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 154 walk 15k steps daily and lift 4x week and I'm 200g carb (maybe 180 on a lazier day) 140g protein and 60g fat. Eat between 1850-2k
  • sunariel1
    sunariel1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your diet motto
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've calculated mine on IIFYM and I never hit my protein...

I've found this online somewhere, thought I recalculated my macros based on this but apparently I haven't:
    The current RDI for protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight per day. This is the minimum amount needed to keep 97.5% of people over the age of 19 healthy. It’s the standard protein intake for most diet recommendations.

If you’re sedentary or lightly active and not in a caloric deficit, you probably don’t need to eat much more protein than the RDI.

However, if you’re trying to lose fat while maintaining your muscle mass and athletic performance, there are three main reasons why the RDI is probably too low for you.

1. Your protein needs increase when you cut calories.
    Your body is always breaking down and rebuilding tissues. When you’re in a caloric deficit, your rate of tissue breakdown rises above your rate of tissue growth, and you lose weight. In most cases, overweight dieters need to eat at least 1.4-1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body mass to avoid losing muscle.

2. Your protein needs increase as you get leaner.
    The less body fat you have, the more protein you usually need to prevent muscle loss while dieting. When your body has thousands of extra calories stored as fat tissue, it’s generally less likely to break down your muscles.
    The most recent and comprehensive review, authored by Eric Helms, indicates that lean athletes need around 2.3-3.1 grams per kilogram of lean body mass to avoid losing muscle while dieting.

Context Protein Intake (lean body mass, not total!!)
    No calorie deficit, minimal training, or less focused on maintaining muscle mass. 1.2-2.0 g/kg
    Small to moderate calorie deficit, with progressive training. 1.8-2.4 g/kg
    Medium to large calorie deficit, with progressive training. 2.3-3.1 g/kg

But if you're on low-carb/keto (cause you mentioned not hitting carbs), you'll need different macros.
  • morningstr1
    morningstr1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've tried Keto first didn't like it so I went in the opposite direction and went low fat vegan, since I was so sick of meat. I lasted 2 weeks on that and was tired of my limited choices and eating the same foods. I'm not one to eat processed foods so I think I could do vegan if I could eat all the junk foods/packaged crap but I'm a bit of a purest. So right now I'm eating 40 carbs, 40 protein and 20 fats. So far it's the most enjoyable diet (1700 cal.) It's just right for me even though the fats are low. I might raise that up after awhile.
  • FitSeachely
    FitSeachely Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I’m eating ketoish. 20% protein, 20% carb and 60% fat. I’m so not use to eating fat I have a hard time hitting that one.
  • keetrinaarapi
    keetrinaarapi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" , 135lbs and I'm actually on 150p 30f and 125c since I"m in a cut. I lost 12 lbs in the 2.5 last months while doing 4-5 times per week weightlifting and 2-3 times per week cardio. Protein is really important for muscle recovery and also carbs give you the fuel for proper workouts. Fats regulate your hormones. I always try to hit my protein with eating lean meats, low fat yoghurt, egg whites and I prefer veggies to grains because they keep me full for longer. :)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    Mine tend to vary a bit. I shoot for higher protein and fat and lower carb, but find cutting too far back on carbs saps my energy for working out (and my recovery ability), and not enough fat seems to halt my weight loss (or seriously slow it). Protein is always a struggle, but I do my best to get as much as I can. Going over is seldom an issue.
  • mclduck
    mclduck Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" 140 lbs also looking to lose about 5 pounds a month for 2 months. I love cardio, running, elliptical, swimming, bicycling, etc. I find it is easier to have slightly higher cardo, so I don't run out of energy. I have seen 45% carbs has worked. I have lost 1.2 my first week of calorie tracking. Good luck!!!
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm having the same macro issue you're talking about. I just set my numbers up as MFP default and I'm eating the way my nutritionist and I talked about, but I'm going over my fat every day. I'm finding it difficult to find foods that have more protein than fat especially as snacks. Apparently nuts, avocado, coconut milk/oil, eggs, and full-fat cheese are doing me in.

*note- today I'm way over protein and fat with protein being higher while under calories. Apparently the answer is boneless, skinless chicken breast...
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @noel2fit how about salmon or tuna - easy to find in small cans or packets for travel snacks and low in fat/high in protein
  • tonypaiva30
    tonypaiva30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    could you help to loss 342
  • mtspalmer
    mtspalmer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great high protein low carb options I use are hard boiled eggs without the yolk (keeps me under fat). Solid Albacore tuna in water has loads of protein. Protein shakes with powdered peanut butter gives me the taste of a dessert with buckets of protein. Drinking water is also essential to feeling alert and alive. Aim to eat the protein and the rest really falls into place.