MFP recipe creator sucks

Options
Enzedandy
Enzedandy Posts: 13 Member
Hi,

I'm a newbie to MFP and this group, and have not yet had a chance to peruse all the discussions, so was just wondering if there were any recommendations for a android/ desktop recipe app that ties in with MFP's option to create a recipe. Only being able to add ingredients to create a recipe on MFP really sucks, and doesn't really count as a recipe in my humble opinion.

What do you do to overcome this hurdle?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the question?

I have used the recipe builder often. I use the one that is "Old Recipe Calculator" and only on the desk top (I think). I've read often and in the main forum that it is the preferred calculator. I've tried building recipes on my phone but it is a PITA that I've never adapted to. Thy the Old Recipe Calculator.

I have also used the MFP Recipe Importer found on the page where you build a recipe (desktop). It works ok BUT it is necessary to carefully look at each ingredient it adds/imports because some of them come across as just.plain.wrong. Then I've had to start editing.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble with recipe stuff in the app, and who doesn't amirite? :smirk: , try using MFP in your phone browser instead and see if you can access. In my app I can sometimes not c&p things so I can't post links. Which you need to c&p a link to get the importer to read a recipe.

But yes the whole thing is a PITA. And if I haven't entered the recipe via the app, it doesn't exist on the app. It won't pull up recipes I have entered on the site even though I've used it a billion times. So yep, it stinks.

I ran across that last night, except I had entered it in the app, but then had to uninstall/reinstall and it forgot all my recipes and won't search the ones on the site. :rage:
  • Enzedandy
    Options
    Hi and thanks for the replies. I should clarify that while the recipe creator allows you to add all the ingredients, calculate KCals etc, it does not have the means to add instructions on putting the recipe together, so for now it's a matter of keeping the ingredients on MFP and then having to refer to notes etc to carry out the recipe.
    I just wondered if there was a simpler way of doing things.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've been using Cronometer (tracker) recently. You might want to try it. The recipe builder is really simple and there is a place for notes on recipes. Not sure if there is an importer.

The only downside that I've noticed (with Cronometer) thus far is some of the charts are available for only a rolling week (no history) unless one purchases the paid version. Daily intake remains but is not charted as a history.

A couple things I like about it is I can enter my weight and anecdotal notes like "overly hungry this morning on XXXX calories yesterday and only 40% fat" (I'm interested on hunger as it pertains to maintenance macros) and those notes and weights appear in the same "box" as my calories. Ease in viewing. This would apply too to things like ketone level, BG numbers, blood pressure readings if I were to enter those.

It also captures a huge amount of micronutients like vitamin K, E, omega 3, omega 6 and many many more. It's pretty cool (if it is accurate).
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yes I think the intention of MFP recipe builder is solely to calculate the calories and macros per serving for more accurate diary entries rather than a cohesive area to retrieve actual recipes from.

I refer to my usual spot(s) for recipes when it is time to cook. I use MFP when its time to plunk it into my diary. I find MFP's recipe search function relatively useless, so I wouldn't want to be using it for that one-stop function even if you could add in the instructions easily.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I create a new recipe I add everything manually to make sure the macros are correct. In the title of the recipe I put the web address so I have quick access to the entire recipe.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Are you attempting to record the instructions in the recipe fields?

Because the recipe builder/importer here will allow you to import the recipe ingredients from a web recipe; save/edit them; add, edit, or remove ingredients; or start from the beginning and do any of these things. You can then set up the quantity and serving sizes accordingly, with the titles of the recipe...

It will give you the ingredients and macros/cals, but this is not a recipe website, and so there's no real place to put the instructions...

I would say if you're wanting all of that information together, you'll definitely need another platform. This site is more about tracking individual foods and activities, etc., not about building an online cookbook.
  • Enzedandy
    Options
    Thanks for that @KnitOrMiss. I had hoped to add my own recipes from notebooks etc, but realise there is no place for instructions. I will keep them on file and refer to them for instructions if complicated. A bit of a pain but there you go.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    CopyMeThat is an awesome recipe app - I use that, then cut and paste the ingredients into the recipe builder here for use in logging.