kttyson Posts: 77 Member
edited March 2018 in Social Groups
What's your goal?

r4qbcrj1bhgn.jpg

Replies

• ruthravi
    ruthravi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yep. it's all about looking good naked! (to yourself and partner =)
  • kttyson
    Options
    ruthravi wrote: »
    yep. it's all about looking good naked! (to yourself and partner =)

I'd also like to be able to swim 10 minutes without being out of breath. Just imagine the abs that Rey must have!

At the moment this is me:
    wtgq5c0nn565.gif

• tehanuthefirst
    tehanuthefirst Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Arms.....djx2ipwj6d27.jpg
    and 8nmv2eep5jjy.png
  • Lunazen
    Lunazen Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The sad thing is: when I was in my 20's and 30's and weighed 125 at 5 ft 9 in, I felt SO uncomfortable in a bikini. My thighs jiggled, my butt sagged, and I had stretch marks from giving birth.

Please lol...

If only we could dip into our 40-something selves for a little peak. It would grant an enormous amount of perspective. If I had to do it over again, I would totally wear that bikini!!

Annnnyway, my goals: to get down from 175 to 140-145. So have muscle tone. To rehab the shoulder and get my knees strong (my knees point inward because my shins are slightly crooked, so my knees and ankles are likely headed for arthritis someday, so I should get the muscles around them to support as much as possible while I'm still "young.")
  • mayapozzolo
    mayapozzolo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Burn some thigh jiggle and tone all over. Plus build muscle and cardio.
  • TisBonnie
    TisBonnie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Increase strength, endurance, & balance, tighten up, build muscle, trim fat.
    And yep, while I’m “young”.
    m84mjr50ft5z.jpeg
  • kttyson
    Options
    Everyone I’ve talked to has told me for long term health weights are the way to go. My grandmother has severe osteoporosis and ended up not leaving her house for over a decade. A lot of my bone structure and mineral absorption takes after her so I’m in a constant “*kitten* that fate” state. I think seeing those older than you, especially in your family, really brings it home.
    So weights are important. This post is going to motivate me to pull out some of my dumb bells to work out the arms as I watch Netflix today. Nothing epic, but it’s a start.
  • tehanuthefirst
    Options
    Same here. Falls are what suck the quality right out of life for older people. They lose their sense of balance, their bones are weak, they fall, and once they're recovering from a hip operation or only able to hobble along because of pain they're really vulnerable to all kinds of further problems.
  • mayapozzolo
    mayapozzolo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been using 8fit for circuits and watching Netflix while I do them. Then I go on a walk :) I find it super helpful.
  • TisBonnie
    TisBonnie Posts: 48 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    kttyson wrote: »
    Everyone I’ve talked to has told me for long term health weights are the way to go. My grandmother has severe osteoporosis and ended up not leaving her house for over a decade. A lot of my bone structure and mineral absorption takes after her so I’m in a constant “*kitten* that fate” state. I think seeing those older than you, especially in your family, really brings it home.
    So weights are important. This post is going to motivate me to pull out some of my dumb bells to work out the arms as I watch Netflix today. Nothing epic, but it’s a start.

I do 4 upper-body weight exercises, and recently I finally learned how to do squats the right way (I hope?!), and I’m adding weight to those now. I highly recommend adding them to your routine when you’re ready. I started with a 2-week 40 squat/day challenge, and the things it did to my behind, quads, hamstrings, and calves!
    #DontSkipLegDay :D
    f0ou30sitvuu.jpeg
  • cassandrac915
    cassandrac915 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For those who are aware of/ worried about the old age that stalks us all eventually, I have some inspiration for you:

The oldest American Ninja Warrior contestant: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kansascity.com/entertainment/tv/article159559384.html

A 70 year old pole dancer competing on an Italian talent show: https://youtu.be/twzAFXRyq90

And Ernestine Shepard, and 80+ year old bodybuilder: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/ernestine-shepherd-80-year-old-bodybuilder-working-out-56-elderly-baltimore-gym-fitness-a7630806.html

In my own family, there are three things that kill us before early (before 100)-- accidents, being a smoker (oddly enough it's a predictor for all kinds of cancer for us, not just lung), and being too fat (type 2 diabetes, heart disease, all the associated conditions).

My mother died in January of last year. This was after a couple of decades of not managing her diabetes regularly with diet or medication. She had a history of heart problems and spent the last few years in a power chair. At the end she was generally uncomfortable and completely blind. She died basically of early old age at 55, having never done a lot of things she talked about doing.

My great-aunt in contrast, made it past 100 and was still driving her car in her 90s. She took good care of herself and stayed pretty slim.

I would rather be like my great-aunt than my mother. This is not about fearing and early death, this is about fearing not living fully. Whatever you believe about what happens after a person dies, the only thing we can absolutely prove is that we have the life we're living in the moment. I don't want to waste mine being unhealthy when I can choose differently. I want to experience having a six pack because I've never had one before (or an eight so I can better cosplay half-nude gender flipped Kylo at next Celebration
  • cassandrac915
    cassandrac915 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hmm, it cut off part of what I wrote. Maybe there's a character limit, or maybe it doesn't like my phone's emojis? Idk. Here's the rest.

"(or an eight so I can better cosplay half-nude gender flipped Kylo at next Celebration :D ), the nice clothes that fit better on a leaner body, the ability to do cool athletic feats and the attention and flirting and wild sex that will all be easier to do when I am fit and flexible. Everything, that's all."
  • kttyson
    Options
    Agreed! I'd like to get healthy now so that at 60 I can still do the things I'd like to. I would love to be as strong as the 70-year old grandmother in the video.

My grandmother died in her 60's because of ill health (smoking, not keeping track of her calcium and vitamin D levels, getting sick). The same happened to my grandfather. My great-grandmother lived until 97 though - she was active and took better care of herself. I'd rather have a shot at living longer, in less pain, and with a fuller life. My body still seems to melt the fat away once I cut out sugar, but that won't last forever. I need to learn to maintain my weight, and get a 4-pack.

Cos-play is an immediate motivator. If I could be a kick *kitten* Maz (I'm too short to be anyone else!) that would be brilliant. I feel like she's ripped. Did you see those flips?
  • jessietroeder
    jessietroeder Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m still pretty young (28), so my reasons are mostly vain. Summer will be here before you know it. Many queer guys are visually-focused to put it nicely, so looking good can widen my dating pool. Also, I want to put together a Kylo cosplay, and I’ll feel more confident in it if I’m more fit. (I’m NOT doing the shirtless one, but I’d still prefer to look better for it.)
  • lazypadawan
    lazypadawan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For most of my adult life I was a size 14-16 and at my peak, weighed around 190 pounds. In 2009, I started losing the weight, mostly through the now off-the-market Sensa and by reading Eat This, Not That as well as picking up more physical activity. I ended up losing almost 70 pounds within two years.

Almost 10 years later I haven't gained all of the weight back but I have gained some. My metabolism has changed as I've gotten closer to 50. I don't want to have to pitch out all of my clothes nor do I want the cardiovascular problems or diabetes that various family members have had. I'd been too sedentary at work (I now make myself walk at least 30 minutes a day) thanks to the fit tracker on my Apple watch, I can see I'm woefully inactive on the weekends. I'd like to lose 10 pounds.
  • kttyson
    Options
    I have so many cute summer clothes that I could fit into 4 years ago. I’d like them to be more than decorations, and I’d also like to not have to buy new clothes
  • tehanuthefirst
    Options
    For most of my adult life I was a size 14-16 and at my peak, weighed around 190 pounds. In 2009, I started losing the weight, mostly through the now off-the-market Sensa and by reading Eat This, Not That as well as picking up more physical activity. I ended up losing almost 70 pounds within two years.

Almost 10 years later I haven't gained all of the weight back but I have gained some. My metabolism has changed as I've gotten closer to 50. I don't want to have to pitch out all of my clothes nor do I want the cardiovascular problems or diabetes that various family members have had. I'd been too sedentary at work (I now make myself walk at least 30 minutes a day) thanks to the fit tracker on my Apple watch, I can see I'm woefully inactive on the weekends. I'd like to lose 10 pounds.
    Fitness trackers are awesome, aren't they? I haven't got one yet but I made Pokemon Go and my iPhone track my walking, and it was hugely motivating!

• 4lexc
    4lexc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm happy to be joining this challenge! I used to be active, as it seems many of us in here were. Having a kid and a switch to a work-from-home job have caused me to gain a ton of weight. Honestly at this point, I want to just feel better in my own skin again and I want to fit into some of my older clothes. A goal of mine along this journey is to be kind to myself. As mentioned by someone else, we don't appreciate ourselves at any stage of life and I always felt so fat my whole life when looking back, I'd be thrilled to be at those stages again. So this time, I'm hoping I can lose the weight I want to lose and appreicate that I can be happy even with some extra padding :)
  • tehanuthefirst
    Options
    4lexc wrote: »
    As mentioned by someone else, we don't appreciate ourselves at any stage of life and I always felt so fat my whole life when looking back, I'd be thrilled to be at those stages again. So this time, I'm hoping I can lose the weight I want to lose and appreicate that I can be happy even with some extra padding :)
    Welcome!