Nutrition

Options
kttyson
kttyson Posts: 77 Member
We’ve all heard the saying that diet is 70% of healthy living plan. The 70/30 rule is everywhere. To get strong we need t exercise, but we also need decent fuel.

What have you done, or what are you thinking of trying, with your diet? Do you follow any specific type of diet? Aim to get more protein than simple carbohydrates?

What’s working for you, and what’s not? Let’s keep each other motivated with what we put into our bodies too.

Let’s not be ashamed to say we eat junk food too. I’m not giving up ice-cream :p

b4ys1g24gdl9.png

Replies

• kttyson
    Options
    I ballooned about 4 years ago because I was living in Japan and ate a bunch of processed foods. It got up to 210 and I’m 5’1. I held it well but it was shocking.

I dropped 90 pounds in 7 months because I cut out sugar. My body wasn’t use to the weight so it melted off. I stopped putting sugar in coffee, having sugary drinks, and cut down on simple sugars. I was active, but not working out a lot.

Of course I gained back some of the weight, but it showed me that sugar - especially refined sugar not apples with fiber - really packs on the weight.

The weight I need to lose now is more stubborn, but if there’s one nutritional insight I can give it’s to be selective about sugar. If you cut it down the results are amazing
  • tehanuthefirst
    tehanuthefirst Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few things over the years - Sugar-free September, Dry July (no alcohol) but never saw any change in my weight. I guess my diet isn't bad. It's just that I eat the same as I did when I was 20, and my metabolism doesn't burn it up any more.

I've gone back to doing the only thing that ever worked, the 5:2 diet. This is my second fast day since I started. This time I'm more psychologically prepared for feeling hungry. I just have to be determined to put up with that twice a week and remember the health benefits.
  • TisBonnie
    TisBonnie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I’m going to try an anti-inflammatory diet — gradually. The hardest cuts will be sugar, gluten, processed carbs, red meat, and dairy. I plan to focus on eating more and more of the healthy food, until I crowd out the other stuff.
  • tehanuthefirst
    Options
    TisBonnie wrote: »
    I’m going to try an anti-inflammatory diet — gradually. The hardest cuts will be sugar, gluten, processed carbs, red meat, and dairy. I plan to focus on eating more and more of the healthy food, until I crowd out the other stuff.
    Sounds like a good way to go, starting slowly. What will you be able to eat? Also, it's a good idea to come up with a strategy for when you're eating with other people, so you can enjoy food as part of your social life without feeling like you're failing the diet or being a pain in the neck to other people who just want to go out and have a pizza and beer after work or whatever.

• cassandrac915
    cassandrac915 Posts: 36 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I've been low carb for a long time, that's how I lost 55 pounds in the first year of my fitness journey. Since then I gained back 20 pounds during a couple trips out of state that were close together. That was after spending several months plateauing. After that I experimented a bit. There's a number of things that can cause stalls on low carb. I got rid of dairy for the most part, that seemed to help. Reducing the protein and increasing the fat helped. So now I would say I'm doing keto-paleo. I've been drinking coffee with cream this week, but once I'm out of cream I'm just not going to buy any more.
  • TisBonnie
    Options
    TisBonnie wrote: »
    Sounds like a good way to go, starting slowly. What will you be able to eat? Also, it's a good idea to come up with a strategy for when you're eating with other people, so you can enjoy food as part of your social life without feeling like you're failing the diet or being a pain in the neck to other people who just want to go out and have a pizza and beer after work or whatever.

I know right - what’s left?? I guess the bulk will be chicken, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans, and gluten-free whole grains.
    My plan will probably be to eat before I go out if I don’t know what they’re serving, or if I know and it’s inflammatory. If it’s like a restaurant for beer and pizza, they’ll most likely offer something else that I can have.
  • jessietroeder
    jessietroeder Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m aiming for high protein, relatively low-carb, because I know it’s the easiest way for me to not be hungry while eating less. (Specifically, I’m aiming for at least 120g protein and no more than 120g carbs in a 1,550 calorie day.) Other than that, if it fits my macros, I’ll eat it. I had calories and carbs left over at the end of today, so I had some chips and a small Reese’s cup, for example.
  • kttyson
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I’m aiming for high protein, relatively low-carb, because I know it’s the easiest way for me to not be hungry while eating less. (Specifically, I’m aiming for at least 120g protein and no more than 120g carbs in a 1,550 calorie day.) Other than that, if it fits my macros, I’ll eat it. I had calories and carbs left over at the end of today, so I had some chips and a small Reese’s cup, for example.

I really like this. That’s what I usually aim for, though I focus a bit more on refined sugar. I just got blood work back and my iron (for the first time ever) spiked after an infusion. I’m going to need to go easy on some of the protein over the next month as a result. My ferritin is usually <15. They took my blood work 8 days after my infusions (at the spike) and it was at 746. Over 300 is excessive, so my body is in over drive to transfer it into iron. My iron isn’t too high, but I’m going to need to be careful so that I don’t damage my liver/kidneys. This is a pretty good thing though - if the iron can stay. I could finally be getting ahead of my iron deficiency anemia.

So my diet might be containing more carbohydrates and calcium this month.
  • tehanuthefirst
    Options
    Ugh, seriously MyFitnessPal? According to them, I can eat a fruit smoothie for breakfast and a cheese sandwich for lunch, and then I'm at my calorie limit for the day. That's ridiculous!
  • kttyson
    Options
    Are you putting in the right portion sizes? I realized I was saying I was logging way too big of serving sizes and it was throwing everything off
  • tehanuthefirst
    Options
    Yeah, I've weighed stuff before logging it. We make our bread in the breadmaker though so it's hard to know how it compares to store-bought bread.
  • TisBonnie
    Options
    I’m not really a calorie-counter, but I do like to have a rough idea of what I’m taking in!
    https://www.thekitchn.com/a-visual-guide-to-100-calories-of-nuts-snack-tips-from-the-kitchn-201778
  • tehanuthefirst
    Options
    Useful tips, thanks!
  • TisBonnie
    Options
    Here’s an even more comprehensive “what does 100 calories look like?” page, with both measurements and infographics:

https://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1987
  • TisBonnie
    Options
    Oh, and regarding modifying meals when eating in restaurants — the other day, I had the opportunity to go out for lunch for the first time since starting the anti-inflammatory diet. I got fajitas, but asked them to hold the tortillas, cheese, and sour cream. I sprinkled the salsa and lettuce over the grilled chicken, peppers, and onions, and ate it with a fork. It was kind of weird to do, but tasted great and was just as filling.
  • kttyson
    Options
    I’m really bad at having breakfast, so I’ve decided to try a having an Atkins shake over the next two weeks to see if that helps. Has anyone else tried it? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CE593SI/ref=pe_1909131_77697121_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1
  • tehanuthefirst
    Options
    I'm pretty skeptical about it, to be honest. How many grams of protein does it have compared to the same amount of milk? I'm guessing what they're really selling (at a high price) is the convenience factor - you don't have to mix it up. We give our son Complan in the morning - you mix up the powder with milk, and it gives a whole lot of protein, iron, calcium and other vitamins and minerals. It's not that sweet, and comes in a chocolate flavour. I reckon you'd get the same benefits, or more, for much cheaper doing it that way. Though if you were trying to avoid carbs, maybe some of those bodybuilder protein supplements in a glass of milk would also work out cheaper?

I'm not sure skipping breakfast is as bad as people say. Maybe if you don't eat breakfast, the trick is to make sure when you do eat that it's something reasonably healthy?
  • kttyson
    Options
    What protein shakes do you recommend?