drunk hit my kid

Options
allenpriest
allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
Friday night 23 February an impaired female driver rear ended my 24 yo daughter who was stopped at a red light. The POS didn't even slow down. The impact shoved my daughter's Ford escape across six lanesof traffic and into the ditch on the other side. She was fortunate that no cross traffic struck her. Car is destroyed. She is banged up but nothing appears broken. Why in the US do we tolerate this stuff??? I have no confidence that our justice system will do much to stop this person until she kills someone.

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    :(
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hope she’s OK. As some of us here working in emergency services can atest, there’s a certain percentage of the population who will never be accountable or follow the accepted rules of society. On the bright side, they seldom get old.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,972 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Hope she’s OK. As some of us here working in emergency services can atest, there’s a certain percentage of the population who will never be accountable or follow the accepted rules of society. On the bright side, they seldom get old.

Seconded...

At one point back in the 1990s when I was still working patrol, I brought a guy in for his 10th impaired driving charge. He had 8 previous convictions and was pending trial for #9 when I encountered him. His blood-alcohol level at 10am was more than double the legal limit.

Since Canada is about to legalize marihuana, things aren't going to get better anytime soon.
  • allenpriest
    Options
    Farback wrote: »

Problem is they take good people with them.
  • allenpriest
    Options
    This 31 year old piece of trash lives with her mommy and daddy still. It appears she may not have insurance. Enabling much??
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear this. I hope that your daughter is going to be o.k. <3
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Hope your daughter is going to be okay.
  • allenpriest
    Options
    Today we found out at least the drunk driver did have insurance. But some of the delayed issues from the crash are starting to appear for my daughter.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Good news and bad news then. Thoughts and prayers for your daughter!!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    How your daughter? Is she ok?
  • allenpriest
    Options
    She didn't end up in the hospital. Nothing broken. She has burns on her hands from the air bags, bruising, pain in legs back neck and head. So it could be a lot worse but she is not ok. Also she is still dealing with the trauma of it all.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of her difficulties. I wish her well. <3
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Hope your daughter is going on ok
  • allenpriest
    Options
    Healing from a concussion is slow. Some symptoms develop over time.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I hope your daughter is feeling better and that the insurance companies have sorted out the compensation.
  • allenpriest
    Options
    Thanks but we are a long way from that yet. She's having issues from the concussion and neck damage. It may be a life long issue. Drunk's first court appearance is April 18. I have little confidence drunk will get punishment that is deserved.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I'm glad the drunk is going to court. Too often, the Courts end up taking plea bargains that allow drunks to escape prosecution.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A local drunk found out that you don't tug on Superman's cape. He hit and destroyed a fire truck. Every prosecutor, judge, and jury in the county was willing to send him to prison for a long, long time.

Destroy private lives and private property, and 'There but for the grace of God go I' seems to be the prevailing mood of prosecutors, judges, and juries.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    We once had a call where we cut a woman, blind drunk, out of a wreck. I found out later she was wearing a donor liver, having drunk her way through her original issue.
  • allenpriest
    Options
    The charges include one felony but I have every expectation that will get used as plea bargain material to get her to plead guilty to the drunk driving and open alcohol container in the car which are both misdemeanor charges. In the meantime my daughter has neck and head issues that may cause problems the rest of her life.