Birthday suggestions?

Options
37lbs_to_go
37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
Both my husband and I have birthdays next week. We have been back on Keto since the beginning of this month. We're doing great so far but I'm not prepared to splurge on carbs yet.

Anyone have a good keto birthday cake recipe? If not my plan B is to play around with some pancakes as layers with a cream cheese frosting. Or make a keto friendly cheesecake. Or both since we have 2 birthdays

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't mean this to sound snarky but why do you need anything resembling cake? I had my neighbor over a few years ago for her birthday and put a candle or 3 in a piece of fried zucchini for her. She was quite happy with it since deep fried zucchini was her birthday request!

If cake is the option you want, there are many one minute mug cakes on line that would be a good option. I've seen several one minute brownies that look very tasty! Minute or Mug cakes are a good option since they're just 1 or 2 servings.

Search Keto Mug Cakes.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I honestly wouldn’t waste your effort on a mug cake. I hadn’t ever found one that wasn’t gross and felt like eating a dish sponge.
    I don’t do birthday cake anymore either because I’ve gotten past my “need” for sweet because I really felt it was driving cravings and hunger. But... I made a cheesecake for my first keto birthday and I make it for my daughter on her birthday and also for a couple holidays.
    I just use a traditional oven baked cheesecake recipe but use almond flour with enough butter to press it into a crust and substitute sugar with liquid stevia to taste.
    I will even simmer fresh blueberries with water to make a sauce that people can drizzle on it. That can be sweetened to taste with stevia as well.

I actually made different berry sauces and added gelatin to thicken so I could make this cake my daughter wanted on her 23rd birthday.
    I used too much gelatin so it was lumpy...
    Apparently it doesn’t take much

h8ngtjo3ez0h.jpeg

• 37lbs_to_go
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I don't mean this to sound snarky but why do you need anything resembling cake? I had my neighbor over a few years ago for her birthday and put a candle or 3 in a piece of fried zucchini for her. She was quite happy with it since deep fried zucchini was her birthday request!

If cake is the option you want, there are many one minute mug cakes on line that would be a good option. I've seen several one minute brownies that look very tasty! Minute or Mug cakes are a good option since they're just 1 or 2 servings.

Search Keto Mug Cakes.

Thank you for your reply!

I don't think anyone ever needs birthday
  • 37lbs_to_go
    Options
    What happened to the rest of my post?! Oh well I'll have to retype it here in a second.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    Options
    Basically it said this is an extra special time of year because our birthdays are so close. I'd like to continue the tradition.

I'll check out mug cakes but would need to adapt them since we don't have a microwave. I think they are the microwave recipes, correct?
  • 37lbs_to_go
    Options
    I honestly wouldn’t waste your effort on a mug cake. I hadn’t ever found one that wasn’t gross and felt like eating a dish sponge.
    I don’t do birthday cake anymore either because I’ve gotten past my “need” for sweet because I really felt it was driving cravings and hunger. But... I made a cheesecake for my first keto birthday and I make it for my daughter on her birthday and also for a couple holidays.
    I just use a traditional oven baked cheesecake recipe but use almond flour with enough butter to press it into a crust and substitute sugar with liquid stevia to taste.
    I will even simmer fresh blueberries with water to make a sauce that people can drizzle on it. That can be sweetened to taste with stevia as well.

I actually made different berry sauces and added gelatin to thicken so I could make this cake my daughter wanted on her 23rd birthday.
    I used too much gelatin so it was lumpy...
    Apparently it doesn’t take much

h8ngtjo3ez0h.jpeg

That cake is most excellent! Love the tongue in cheek song reference. You must be a hoot as a parent
  • 37lbs_to_go
    Options
    Shoot that reply shortened too. Guess I need a primer on MFP forum posting.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    Options
    The next paragraph said the cheese cake sounds perfect! I don't normally add anything on top of cheesecake so it didn't even occur to me. It would give it that sense of occasion that I'm looking for. Think I'll go with fresh blueberries.

Thanks!
  • 72happy
    72happy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My husband got a protein bar and put a candle in it as my birthday cake. Plenty to choose from. :)
  • 72happy
    72happy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also you could do the flax seed bread with cinnamon and a mix cream cheese and whipped cream on top. Another nice one to do as a cake
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The one I made was in made in the microwave. I'm sure others who are better able to moderate keto sweets will have some good suggestions for you.

If you type "keto desserts" in a google search you're get thousands of recipes to peruse until someone posts their "tried and true". I'd make a Panna Cotta if I were inclined but it's not "cakelike".

Try this link:
    https://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/dessert/

I've read that this Protein Angel Food Cake is pretty awesome though puffiness seems to depend on the type of protein powder used (from what I've read):

http://www.themacroexperiment.com/blog/enjoying-food-angel-food-protein-cake

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    cheesecake is an easy option to make keto...almond flour instead of graham cracker crumbs for the crust, and splenda instead of the sugar, and pretty much any regular cheesecake recipe will become keto...because it's all cheese and eggs anyway...
  • 357girl
    357girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you like raw fish, how about a sashimi cake?

Did you make that!? I would be all over that!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options

Did you use emojis? That's usually the main culprit for that sort of thing.

If you are using the app, if you use any phone emojis in your post it will hack part of it off.
    jgqfow6cbe3g.jpg

The emojis under the smiley provided by the app are the only ones that don't make it hungry and eat your post.

Alternately, you can type a colon and a letter it will bring up app emojis that start with that letter:
    xfxs3d0xwnzw.jpg

But if that wasn't your problem, then now you've had MFP Emojis 101. :lol:

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    On topic though, I second the keto cheesecake, except I've added cocoa powder and made it chocolate. NOMMMM!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Happy almost birthday to the two of you! There are lots of great recipes out there...just start searching and reading reviews! I do have a really good Blueberry Mug Muffin that I love, but I don't think it's special enough for a birthday...but darn good with melted butter on it.
    • 4 tbsps almond flour
    • 1/4 tsp baking powder
    • dash of salt
    • 1.5 tablespoons butter melted
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tsp swerve (or your preferred sweetener)
    • about a heaping tbsp of wild blueberries (the little ones) I have a bag of frozen and it works just fine
    Whisk all ingredients except blueberries until well blended in a mug (find a straight one), fold in blueberries and mic for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. It would make a great birthday breakfast :)
  • 37lbs_to_go
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Did you use emojis?

I almost certainly did! Thank you so much taking the time to explain what happened. I'm much wiser now :D

• PQ4321
    PQ4321 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you come up with a cake, share! I wouldn't mind a cake recipe that didn't break the carb bank.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cheesecake is an easy option to make keto...almond flour instead of graham cracker crumbs for the crust, and splenda instead of the sugar, and pretty much any regular cheesecake recipe will become keto...because it's all cheese and eggs anyway...

Cheesecake is my favorite too. I make it crustless with a bit of extra egg and it stays really low carb.

... Now I want cheese cake. :(