New for the millionth time and looking for support

Options
acirema_qc
acirema_qc Posts: 4 Member
Hi Everyone, A little background about myself: I've been over weight my *entire* life and have tried losing weight for as long as I can remember. I've tried pretty much every diet under sun with little to no results. Over the years I've learned better habits, such as removing certain foods from my diet like flour, potatos etc... but I still have a long way to go. I've been making a real effort since late last year and have been attempting keto for the last 3 weeks and have lost about 20lbs so far. I'm basically looking for a place to ask questions and find motivation. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you and ask away! We're all willing to share our experiences. Mine was that I lost my weight eating low carb @ around 128 grams/day with a calorie deficit then later tried keto (in maintenance) for reason other than weight management. I was totally astounded how the hunger I had experienced and struggled with the previous 18 months vanished.

Today, I still eat very low carb of ~50 grams per day coupled with high fat for that reason. Hunger/cravings control. I'm able to flex on my carbs when situations arise such as eating outside the home but day to day, I still keep it very LC/HF compared to mfp default macro allocations. Maintenance is a lot easier when not faced with daily physical hunger. :)
  • 357girl
    357girl Posts: 30 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Welcome! You can do this! Stick to Keto and don't look back - it will help you reach your goal!

I agree with kpk54 - the hunger and craving control on Keto is wonderfully freeing. I started Keto due to health reasons - I have multiple autoimmune diseases - and when my mom died at the end of December I was eating everything in sight and making myself feel even worse. Since starting Keto, there's no more "hanger" or desperate searches for food because I don't get the shakes any more when I'm really hunger (probably because I never feel like I'm "starving" like I did when eating carbs).
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I too have struggled with my weight since high school. I started Keto last July. Lost 35lbs hunger free thru to November. Consciously chose to go off Keto for a Christmas and gained 13 lbs in two weeks. I went back to Keto to lose weight but the epiphany for me was how horrible I felt after 2 weeks of carbs. My weight loss kinda stagnated after a Christmas. I lost 8 lbs fast but then fluctuated up 3 down 2, etc. etc for several weeks. I am now down 11 lbs, of the Christmas gain, and lost that just this past week. It is a little frustrating regarding the weight loss but I feel SO MUCH that I will continue to eat like me this and hopefully the weight loss will follow.

Stick with it. This is more than a weight loss diet. Good luck CD.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Keto has so many benefits, weight loss can be one, but you will need to learn your bodies own calorie and macro needs. Use the guidelines you find here and adjust according to the results and pace that works for you.

For example...in order to lose my weight I had to eat significantly lower calories than recommended...I think due to my age and a life of destructive eating habits.
    Once I discovered my sweet spot I lost over 140 pounds and reversed 3 health issues; and although maintenance is a struggle for me, I've kept a great deal of the weight off for over 2 years...so far.

Good luck. This can be a great way of eating long term... if you make adjustments as you go, keep learning and logging, and start each day with a clean slate and an open mind.
  • aluhsin
    aluhsin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I've lost 100 lbs with keto since April of '17. It really works!
  • acirema_qc
    acirema_qc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I'm feeling very inspired by you all :)
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Hi there's also a group just called keto, you can ask to join that too. A lot of us are on both and both are useful and great support.
    I'd also bet that lots of us are serial dieters who have found low carb and keto as a solution to this. Somehow when you break out of keto, you tend to know what you are doing and why you gain weight having gone off track. Then instead of thinking darn it, another dead diet, we tend to think, yup I deserve this weight gain, and go straight back to low carb and keto rather than just giving up yet another diet.
    I think it's maybe because it becomes more a way of life than a diet or maybe it's just because we know it works and we feel better on it. Doesn't stop me kicking over the traces occasionally though!