March 12 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• RangerRickL
    Options
    When I was a young man, we were taught to do static stretches before sport activity such as American style football; basketball and wrestling. Several years ago, I was taught the Aaron Mattis Active Isolated Stretching method which rejected all static stretches and emphasized dynamic stretching within the cycle of a breath in and a breath out.
    Now, my new trainer states, "Don't stretch before activity, but rather, do at least 5 to 7 minutes of cardio to get the muscles warmed up before activity." Frankly, I don't know the right answer, but I would like you to share your experience and your preferences. That is our Monday discussion opener....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeEIoGMldyc
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    March 12
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 6km in 48 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Public holiday today. Worked on electronics most of the day.

Cooler weather for walk. Just could not seem to keep up my normal pace.

@RangerRickL. Depends on the activity as to whether stretching before or after is required. Daily walk, don't bother. Competitive activities, then yes (warm up - stretch - compete - stretch again during cool down).

There is also different types of stretching. Stretching to increase movement range, stretching to assist with warmup, stretching to assist with cool-down.

PNF is focused on achieving maximum range. Static stretches should be used for warm-up/cool-down (hold till the muscle relaxes, then slow stretch a little further before release).

Avoid bounce style stretches. These are the most likely to cause injury.
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Pass.

My personal trainer, Jillian Michaels, repeatedly tells me to start with dynamic stretches and not to use static stretches until we're done and then not to pulse or bounce but to hold it. (in a workout dvd I've done 100+times.) :p
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,071 Member
    Options
    Pass day but I made it home! I did a good(ish) workout before leaving but stopped for a large lunch on the way home and I'm to tired to track everything. Back to normal tomorrow
  • loopydo2017
    loopydo2017 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Pass #1. I baked chocolate chip cookies with my kids... enough said.
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    Morning exercise: I started with 26 minutes of 4mph treadmill, followed by 20 minutes of dynamic (@am_change would call it dynamic) stretches. Just for the record, during the last 6 years, I have done a lot of dynamic stretches to maintain and improve the flexibility of my aging body. It has helped me tremendously.
    Tracking: ok
    Calories: Under my limit
  • naomiefaye
    naomiefaye Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes × 3 went on two walks , one for 50 min, and one for 30 min
  • BobWw2017
    BobWw2017 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    March 12

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
    Yes. Jogging for 1/2 hour and dog walking

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
    Yes

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?
    Yes

I know I should stretch before I go for a run but too often I just start up cold. Just a long term habit, but I know it sometimes causes unnecessary aches and pains

• Ceceev
    Ceceev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My coach who is USAT certified has me doing both. I do dynamic stretching first then a warm up incl walking and then jogging before I run. Same in the pool. Then after I lift when I am already warmed up.

Finally g ot my run in yesterday and it felt good to move and get the endorphins activated again.
    Tracked my foofd? yes
    Ate what I tracked? yes. Good day over all.