Weight stall help & advice

Options
potatospud
potatospud Posts: 14 Member
Hello, everyone! This is my first post and sorry in advance if this may seem like a pretty repetitive topic that most of everyone probably sees a lot. I’m just at a point of frustration and irritation where I’d like to get some advice from fellow people within the keto community when it comes to weight stalls.

For some background, I’ve been on keto/low carb for over two months now and I love it. I feel better eating this way compared to the old me! About a month in I started weighing myself and easily lost 10 lbs in the following month but I’m now at a stall that’s leaving me worried and wondering if there’s something I’m not doing right?

I don’t actually test my ketone levels which may be a red flag from the get go. I am wondering if there’s any tips from others that have experienced this so I can take action quick and get right back on the wagon! Thanks for reading

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I too wouldn't worry one bit about not testing for ketones unless you have a medical reason for being in ketosis. If you are eating a ketogenic diet for weight loss, know (as stated in a post above) ketosis is not the cause of weight loss. For many, many people (me included) eating a diet very low in carbs and higher in fat (thus LCHF) will suppress hunger and make it much easier to adhere to a calorie deficit for weight loss.

There are many people who eat a ketogenic diet as a lifetime WOE (think perhaps someone with epilepsy who eats keto for seizure control). They do not lose weight simply because they eat keto. The MDs/PhDs and other experts who strongly advocate and eat a ketogenic diet for perceived overall health and well being (and there are many) are not in a constant state of weight loss simply because they eat keto.

Though we are all different, I'm pretty darn average and normal metabolically. I personally ate a MTKD for 1 full year at maintenance calories (as a trial for reason other than weight management) and did not lose weight. I maintained (with my normal 5 pound weight fluctuations) as I had for the previous 18 months on the same # of calories (and level of exercise) but with keto macros versus (my preferred) higher low carb.

If you lost 10 pounds in the most recent month you are probably just in a lull while your body adjusts. You have heard it before. The initial rapid weight loss was most likely a "water whoosh" and once that occurs, weight loss generally becomes average (1-2 pounds per week) so long as you keep to your calorie deficit and don't stray to water retaining carbohydrates. Some people do lose more via extreme deficits or higher physical output or a higher starting level of obesity.

If I sound cranky, I might be. It is not regarding the subject. I live in a townhouse and the attached house next to me is vacant so the owners are apparently letting the contractors take their dear old time at renovations and I've been listening to what sounds like a damn jack hammer pounding against my otherwise very quiet residence...for a few weeks. :)
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating I know. Just stick with it. Be sure to track your carbs and keep them within your limits .... 20g or 50g etc. It is amazing how carbs sneak in if we aren’t tracking and measuring. For me I also have to stay on top of my elytes and water or I stop losing. We are all different and this woe is a great way to get to know your body and what works for you. Good luck !!!!!
  • potatospud
    Options
    I wouldn’t worry about testing ketone levels since it’s not ketones that create the fat loss.
    How much do you have to lose?
    How long has it been since you’ve lost anything at all?
    Do you take photos and measurements so that you can watch for physical changes when the scale doesn’t cooperate?
    It’s pretty surprising what can happen even with weight gain and without exercise.
    s73bgapkhyjl.jpeg

I’ve been “stalled” a long long time. My goal weight was 126 but I’ve realized that’s just a number I made up.

As far as what to do, what you were doing when you lost 10 pounds was clearly working. No reason to think it won’t continue to. Consider if you’ve changed anything or if you’ve been snacking or having a little too much of the right things. Or any of the wrong things for that matter...
    The dramatic initial weight loss always stops on low carb but that doesn’t mean fat loss stops. It just slows down or becomes unidentifiable by the scale.

I am trying to lost about 70 pounds as well as tone up some areas that I'm not very happy about lol... It's been about three weeks now since I've been fluctuating between the same area of weight of about three lbs and it's definitely taken a toll on my willpower to keep trying. :\ I haven't been keeping track of progress photos actually but your progress really motivates me to do that so I will start that today! Thanks so much for replying! I'm going to try to get rid of a few things I did change recently.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    potatospud wrote: »
    I wouldn’t worry about testing ketone levels since it’s not ketones that create the fat loss.
    How much do you have to lose?
    How long has it been since you’ve lost anything at all?
    Do you take photos and measurements so that you can watch for physical changes when the scale doesn’t cooperate?
    It’s pretty surprising what can happen even with weight gain and without exercise.
    s73bgapkhyjl.jpeg

I’ve been “stalled” a long long time. My goal weight was 126 but I’ve realized that’s just a number I made up.

As far as what to do, what you were doing when you lost 10 pounds was clearly working. No reason to think it won’t continue to. Consider if you’ve changed anything or if you’ve been snacking or having a little too much of the right things. Or any of the wrong things for that matter...
    The dramatic initial weight loss always stops on low carb but that doesn’t mean fat loss stops. It just slows down or becomes unidentifiable by the scale.

I am trying to lost about 70 pounds as well as tone up some areas that I'm not very happy about lol... It's been about three weeks now since I've been fluctuating between the same area of weight of about three lbs and it's definitely taken a toll on my willpower to keep trying. :\ I haven't been keeping track of progress photos actually but your progress really motivates me to do that so I will start that today! Thanks so much for replying! I'm going to try to get rid of a few things I did change recently.

Even at my most steady weight loss, I wouldn't see a change on the scale for at least three weeks. In fact, for a while, it was like clockwork:

Week 1 -- gain a couple of pounds
    Weeks 2-3 -- maintain weight
    Week 4 -- lose the couple pounds, plus four weeks' worth of weight

Lather, rinse, repeat. Had I given up at any point before a full month, I never would have seen the progress I was making.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Not that it matters and it has nothing to do with the topic but after my post above I happened to see the neighbor's contractor outside and talked with him a bit. The noise that has been going on that sounded like a damn jack hammer... was a jack hammer. Our houses are built on slab and they're doing a total redesign which includes tearing up the concrete to reroute plumbing. SMH.

Carry on.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Even at my most steady weight loss, I wouldn't see a change on the scale for at least three weeks. In fact, for a while, it was like clockwork:

Week 1 -- gain a couple of pounds
    Weeks 2-3 -- maintain weight
    Week 4 -- lose the couple pounds, plus four weeks' worth of weight

Lather, rinse, repeat. Had I given up at any point before a full month, I never would have seen the progress I was making.

This is me. Except I lose like 2 weeks worth...not all 4, but eh....keep on keepin' on :wink:
  • butterfountain
    butterfountain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pep talk... I lost 3lbs right off the bat then fluctuated back. I'm in the middle of week three. Going to just keep plugging away.
  • potatospud
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hey guys, just a little update. Not sure what’s going on but I’ve managed to lose about 3 lbs from Sunday or Monday, can’t remember when I weighed myself... anyway, any sort of progress is wonderful and I haven’t given up! This week I did make a goal for myself to change up my diet by including more vegetables and less substitutes (I do eat low carb tortillas and other low carb foods) and so far it seems to be working well. I usually officially record my weight on Mondays so if its down by next Monday I think I’ll be a little less worried