Halo Top Ice Cream....WHAT???

Options
So, my friend is using the Wal-Mart grocery pick up now and I stay so busy and can't get to Wal-Mart often so she was like just pick you some out and I'll pick it up for you...

I thought that was a great idea until I started looking on the Wal-Mart website and different flavors and ingredients and saw Wheat Flour in the Choc Chip Cookie Dough and Malted Barley Flour in the S'mores. I looked at the Vanilla Bean and it didn't seem so bad and Google says its Gluten Free, but I don't just want plain vanilla if I am spending a few extra carbs for a special treat!

I am really disappointed and although wheat and flour doesn't bother some people, it bogs me down and turns me into a foggy headed, lethargic shell of a human being.

Has anyone else ate this or checked out the ingredients? I am so disappointed :-(

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Anything that has 'Cookie' in the label should tell you something, lol. Also S'Mores are made with graham crackers, no? Check any fruit type flavours like strawberry, or plain chocolate, POSSIBLY mint choc chip. They may be OK like the Vanilla. We don't have Halo-top where we are so I'm not sure what your flavour options are. If I need something like that I choose plain Greek yogourt, with a couple drops of Mio to flavour it and freeze. I also add a few frozen raspberries or blueberries mooshed in with it. That being said, I don't crave that kind of thing and maybe make that 4 or 5 times a year. Good luck! ALWAYS READ LABELS before purchase or tasting. I have Celiac disease so the gluten free thing is very important in my case.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    There is also a frozen treat brand called Wink that is low carb and gluten free but it's not as good a Halo top in my opinion. I guess it will do in a pinch for something frozen and sweet but it kind of gave me heart burn so I need to only eat it during the day not before bed.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Halo Top has a bunch of gluten free flavors...my favorites are birthday cake, oatmeal cookie, sea salt caramel, chocolate almond, mocha chip, caramel macchiato, peanut butter cup, and candy bar!

That's just my top picks. There are a lot more GF.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    gluten-free and wheat-free are not the same thing

Items can have wheat and have the gluten removed (like Omission lager).

Items can be made without wheat (like sorghum beers).
  • kwalton65
    kwalton65 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Halo Top is my go to once in a while after a hard workout. Though when i first tried Halo Top it kicked me right out of ketosis. you have to eat the whole pint, right?
  • canadjineh
    Options
    How can they do an oatmeal cookie Halo that is GF? Never had BD Cake flavoured anything, I'm assuming it's a fancy name for some sort of sweeter Vanilla flavour?
  • 357girl
    357girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    How can they do an oatmeal cookie Halo that is GF? Never had BD Cake flavoured anything, I'm assuming it's a fancy name for some sort of sweeter Vanilla flavour?

I can make gluten free just about anything. I'm also celiac and have been GF since 2005. My tiramisu and cannolis are pretty fantastic, though I'll never have them again LOL! I'm on day 12 of Keto and have no cravings or desire to go back.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    @357girl WELCOME to Ketoville. :)
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I like Halo Top. A lot. The chocolate is good. None of the flavors is as good as if you'd made it yourself, from a nice frozen custard. I once made a Strawberry Ice Cream from custard, with Framboise, and it was most amazing. The Halo Top flavors are lower in fat and higher in protein. But low carb and pretty tasty for a commercially-available product
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Halo Top make awesome milk shakes :) Mix a pint and some heavy cream in a blender for a low carb awesome treat :smile:
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

The oatmeal cookie is a kind of cinnamon/vanilla tasting base with certified gluten free oats mixed in. Some people don't care for the flavor because the oats are rather "raw" but that's exactly why I like it. It does remind me of an oatmeal cookie and sometimes I top it with a scoop of peanut butter to make it even better.

The birthday day cake is like you'd think...sweet vanilla with a hint of maybe almond flavor w/ sprinkles mixed in.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The oatmeal cookie is one of my favorite flavors.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Kroger's Simple Truth brand also has Low Cow ice cream that's as good as Halo Top, but runs cheaper, for those of you that have it in your area. It has the same issue as that & Arctic Zero though....rock hard. I get tired of trying to get a bite before I even get through the 1/2 cup serving!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Rock hard ice cream is my dream, @Yocum1219. I always hated soft serve and prefer to have to actually chew my ice cream. Even like my gelato as hard as thermodynamics allows, :D