March to the Gym

Options

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »

Anyone have good ab exercises? I hate them all, so I always feel uninspired on my own, and a lot more sheets just say “abs” now

- Barbell or ab wheel roll-outs
    - plank knee tucks
    - hollow rocks
    - turkish get-ups (these are a nice coordination/stability/mobility challenge if you take the time to learn them well, and kind of a full body deal)
    - bear crawls (the version where you're staying as low to the ground as possible and moving slow and controlled)
    - renegade rows
    - KB hand to hand swings (or, most of the KB moves in general, really)
    - Tapout XT's GFO's (never knew what the abbreviation stood for. Get the Eff Out? Grappling Flip Over?)
    You can check this one out here. The whole video is pretty good at getting the abs burning. Last time I did it after a while off of that program, I had DOMS for DAYS

I have more if that still doesn't sound like your cup of tea ;) Also, most good ol' regular moves can be turned into a core move if you offset the load. Say, 1 DB Front rack squat. Or 1 Arm overhead press (with emphasis on not compensating). Heavy overhead carry.

There's always athlean-X's channel for other suggestion, too, lol
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Workout B
    RDL- 3x7 @ 90 pounds
    Overhead press - 3x8 @ 40 pounds
    Lat pulldown - 3x8 @ 80 pounds
    Lunges - 3x20 walking - need to add weights next time.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Bench day.
    Also, another example of the awesomeness of my little gym. Two of us worked in together on bench. No questions asked, even though it meant tons of plate switching because my top weight was just over half of his. This meant I had a spotter for where my roll of shame happened the other day,he had one for his top set, also. And then we took turns spotting for a gal who came in later depending on which of us was free at the moment.

Bench supersetted with pull-ups. All pull-ups were with black band.
    5x50
    7 pull-ups
    5x65
    7 pull-ups
    3x75
    8 pull-ups
    5x80
    10ish pull-ups
    5x95
    9ish pull-ups
    5 + x 105 (I got 7, I timed my next breath badly, or else I might have gotten 8, good thing I pre planned the spotter this time)
    7 pull-ups

Dumbbell bench
    3x10 @ 35

Chest supported rows
    2 x 10 @ 35
    10 x 40

Rear laterals
    2 x 20 @ 5
    20 x 10 (these weren’t pretty, or very well strung together still, ugh)
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Lower body

Squats 3x4 @ 140
    Sumo DL 3x2 @ 185. Made a new gym buddy working in with a tiny tiny woman who was probably lifting almost 2x bodyweight. #goalz
    KB swings w/ 30 lb KB 3x20
    Weighted step-ups 3x20 with 45 lb bar. Had to do these out on the floor instead of in the rack since it was being monopolized by this one guy who takes up 4 pieces of equipment to do his damn circuits while chatting up every other guy there....so no added weight, in case I lost my balance.

ETA: @hanlonsk For abs, do you have a TRX setup? My trainer showed me several essentially plank variations using TRX that work the abs hard. Two point planks also hit all areas of the abs.
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Anyone have good ab exercises? I hate them all, so I always feel uninspired on my own, and a lot more sheets just say “abs” now[/quote]

Does your gym have TRX? I’ve core or just moves that engage the core leave me crying the next day
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wednesday
    Squat 5x5 40kg
    Bench 5x5 30kg
    Row 5x5 30kg
    25 min cardio to finish, can’t remember what I did though, too long ago!

No gym yesterday as spent the day moving furniture at the office after getting new carpets. Was knackered...

Today
    Squat 5x5 42.5kg
    Ohp 5x5 22.5kg yay!!
    DL 2x5 60kg
    20 min elliptical

Ohp felt so much better today. Hopefully I don’t bomb on the 25kg again next week.

• krokador
    Options
    My schedule is a lil different this week so I hit up 18.4 this morning.

9 min CAP to get through:
    21-15-9
    - deadlifts @95lbs
    - HR push-ups

then 21-15-9
    -deadlifts @135lbs
    - 50ft bear crawl with high hips (25ft and back)

I made it through the first part in about 7 mins. The push-ups easily took 75% of that xD Deadlifts felt really light, it was more taxing to do the move over and over than it was to lift the weight itself, really. But the push-ups were horrendous.

Paced myself a little too much on the 2nd round and made it through 45ft of bear crawl. Bit of a different movement than the one I'm used to, less legs, more shoulders, definitely more wobbly but also possible to go faster with to a degree. It just took me a while to find my gear on it.

A nice even total of 120 (each 5ft of crawl were worth a point). I feel like I should redo it. I didn't go out as hard as I should have on the deadlifts knowing I'd get plenty of rest on the floor trying to get through the push-ups, and I also had to deal with a dumb lat cramp on my left side throughout, which was not exactly getting in the way, but uncomfortable for sure... I honestly thought I would be able to finish this, actually. So maybe tomorrow will be a rest day and I'll attack it again on sunday. We'll see.

I didn't have a ton of time left so I finished the session with
    - wide grip lat pull-downs : 55x10, 70x10, 85x10 (+ 8 reps of scap retractions at the end to try and get used to re-socket my shoulder properly. I had mixed results there)
    - cable crossovers 15x12, 20x7
    - reverse cable fly 10x4 (yes, only 4. this is hard O_o), 5x10
    - cable rope overhead triceps extension & hammer curls 25x15 each, then 45x12/12->30x8/10->15x10/12
    my right shoulder was burning more than my triceps and biceps here, though xD I finished off with a super light easy bar and tried to hit everything for multiple reps, lol. Good times.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,870 Member
    Options
    Bleugh. Felt achy and not that strong (should have eaten more, and waking up way too early was no help).
    Managed to finish most of it.

Goblet squats: 1 x 5 @ 35 lb, 4 x 5 @ 40 lb my left hip felt slightly off so I didn't do another set at 40 lb
    Bench press - struggling - 5 x 5 @ 27.5 lb dbs. Chest is still feeling it.
    Bent over row - felt something in the upper left back near the shoulder blade - 5 x 5 @ 60 lb
    Barbell shrugs - 3 x 8 @ 60 lb maybe I could've done more weight?
    Tricep extensions - 3 x 8 @ 20 lb
    Incline curls 2 x 8 @ 12.5 lb dbs, 1 x 6 @ 12.5 (could not finish the last set)
    Cable pull throughs 2 x 10 @ 15 lbs still trying to get the hang of it and my back was achy
    Abdominal air bike 2 x 10 reps

I tried to do cable crunches and my back felt sore as I bent over. BAH
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Conditioning day.

Mile run at pt and jump circuits

5x15 kB swings @ 35
    5xdown and back yoke push @ yoke plus 50lbs - I think I’ve done more before, but the darn thing felt stupid heavy today, I blame pt
    5x 15 wall balls @ 10

Abs 4 x 20 Russian twists @ 20

ANd for those that asked- commercial gym where I think I’m still a member has trx... but powerlifting gym definitely does not...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Anyone have good ab exercises? I hate them all, so I always feel uninspired on my own, and a lot more sheets just say “abs” now

i hate them too. but now instead of fighting the ones that i hate, i just go all is-what-it-is when i feel like that and i go back to doing deadbugs. sometimes it takes a week or two, but usually comes a point where i get so excited about having control over my lower abs again that i start generating my own ambition to see what else i can do with these things.

bleh, i'm still so not- a lifter though. still. and still seriously don't have a plan or even a serious plan about making a plan to go back to it. not like i don't want to. but i just kind of sit around now waiting to be magicked back into how i was before.

not gonna happen. i did some air squats last weekend and had doms for three days. can't deadlift 85 pounds without worrying, and i'm not even asking myself whether i see them going anywhere because of the answer to that. but then there's this: book girl and marathon woman were both doing overhead press with the same weights in t-space tonight, so i worked in with them as well.

i don't like my form but i can't really say the weight itself was the problem. and i wasn't thinking very plan-ifically, but i just kind of went along with their jumps. calling their light sets my warmup, i guess, because by the end of it and found myself doing 3x3 at 52.5.

that's not too bad for three months with really not lifting at all. and i didn't stay down at the 125 pounds that my dad's first crisis reduced me to, but afaik i'm still about 130, give or take. i thought the loss had to be muscle rather than fat, so it's all pretty disorienting.

*personal update: the madwoman tried to get power of attorney over my dad this week. luckily, she was so over the edge with her behavour that the lawyers she tried it on 'fired' her and phoned the public guardian and trustee. luckily. but my dad actually is 'capable' so if she wants and can bully him into it, she can do this every week until she finds someone shady enough to not follow due process closely enough to not allow it.. my sister's in moscow, our cousin's in yucatan or one of those carefree holiday destinations, and this woman is telling my father in so many words taht if he doesn't give poa to her i will 'get' it myself and immediately sell his house out from under him and force him into a home.

so, yeah. i mean, i actually love my dad and there isn't *kitten* i can do. so not really concentrating much on the hip abductions and other physio things for this week.
  • krokador
    Options
    So happy with myself today =D

I went and redid 18.4 this morning. Carbed up last night, got proper sleep, had a bit of carbs (vanilla wafer cookies... shhhh) beforehand. And I CRUSHED IT! Deadlifts on the first part ALL unbroken, broken down the hand release push-ups into 3s and 2s instead of going out with a set of 6 and 5 and then being burned out. Changed my plates between push-ups to lose less time. I was so out of breath by the end, haha. Having your head upsied down while breathign heavy is an... interesting experience. I managed to get an extra round in, so my final score is not 145!

Then I was completely wrecked and couldn't imagine myself doing any amrap or interval stuff, so I just did clean skill work. EMOTM x8 of 1 3-stop squat clean, 1 hang power clean and 1 full squat clean @85lbs

And some bottoms up KB press (20x6, 20x5, 15x7, 15x6)

Now to shower and go SEE THE SUNLIGHT before I need to head out again xD
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Yesterday was squat day

Squats
    5 x 45
    5 x 50
    5 x 65
    5 x 75
    5 x 80
    5 x 95
    5 + x 105 (got 7 before form started to go wonky)

Leg press
    10 x 145
    2 x 10 x 155

Lunges
    3x Down and back with 15lb dumbbells - kind of sandbagged this, but they still just don’t feel good, so I’m trying to stick to a weight I don’t dread, so I might do them)

Bar bell hip thrust
    3 x 10 @ 45

Ironically like 5 of us at the gym were squatting yesterday, so it was an awesome madhouse of people working in with each other. And then 3 of us ended at my house for beer and burgers for st Patrick’s Day. “Will squat for beer squad” has been born.

Today was conditioning

But, prior to that like 6 of us at the gym ended up at the same breakfast place independent from each other... yeah between yesterday and today I have a pretty good idea that everyone else’s nutrition is doing no better than mine.... at least I’m not alone.

5x15 wall balls @ 10lbs
    3 x 10 push-ups
    4 x 10 mountain climbers (these were questionable at best. I technically got clearance from pt before we kept them) one whole set was just step ones, and not plyo at all. Other sets kind of were some plyo and some stepping ones, but I did them.

Abs
    3x20 abmat situps
    3 x 5 medicine ball passes
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Feel like I’m getting to the limit of my weights for now. Sunday was a struggle on most lifts. Thinking I may repeat the same weights next time as felt that form was suffering.

Squats 5x5 45kg managed all the reps but felt wobbly on my right leg towards the last couple of sets.
    Bench press 32.5kg 4x5 1x4. Lucky I had set the safety’s as had to rest it for the last rep before I could get it back up again.
    Rows 32.5kg 5x5 managed all the reps but felt pretty fatigued by the end.

Did a class tonight, only 30 minutes but it was pretty intense.
    3 minutes run
    50 squats with 15kg bag
    50 ball slams with 9kg
    50 lunges with 5kg dumb bells
    3 minutes row
    25 push ups
    25 scissor legs on the floor
    25 burpees
    3 minutes run

Killed me but feel good now, maybe not so much tomorrow!
  • krokador
    Options
    In retrospect, i probably should've taken an extra day off. Had no pep going into today, and ended up subbing my conditioning for shoulder rehab. And now my left shoulder is quite unhappy with me :/

Bench press, 85x15, 87.5x15, 90x13, 110x3 and 125x1 -> 4 reps with 20s between each. I was aiming for 5, but the last one wasn't happening.

Pendlay rows 80x15, 82.5x13, 82.5x11, 115x1 -> 5 singles, 20s rest in between

split stance DB strict overhead press 12.5x12, 15x12, 17.5x12 (struggled on the left, right side was easy peasy. My left shoulder is the one that tends to like to sit out of socket, so I was very mindful of my arm positioning)

1 arm straight arm cable pulldown 3x15x12

So yeah, I'm definitely feeling it. My Teres minor is cramped up again and my whole shoulder capsule is all liek "no more torture pl0x!". On the bright side, this is how it felt when I rehabbed my right shoulder. So it may just be normal xD
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Squats - 3x5 40/30/30
    Pushup - 3x5/8/8
    Inverted row - 3x8
    Back extension -3x15 @125
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    @canadianlbs Sorry to hear things are so rough for you right now. Here's hoping they cheer up soon.

I came to the somewhat grumpy conclusion that I need to add in more cardio to get my weight moving. I can't cut calories further bc I'm already struggling with adherence to my deficit, so more movement will have to do. I'm tired of being in a deficit so I need to lose the rest of the weight and just be at maintenance.

Upper body:
    Benchpress: 5/3/1+ (3) @ 92/97/102. Volume PR for 102!
    OHP: 10/7/5 @ 52/62/72
    Seated row: 8/8/8 @ 90
    Assisted pullups: 5/5/5 @ -85. Felt stronger with these after struggling the last couple times I've done them.

Elliptical 20 min, 5 min cooldown.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,870 Member
    Options
    My hamstring was acting up yesterday so I was worried about doing RDLs. I needn't have worried.

Goblet squats 1 x 10 @ 42.5 lb, 1 x 5 @ 45 lb, 5 x 5 @ 47.5 lb
    OHP dbs 5 x 5 @ 12.5 lb dbs
    RDL 1 x 5 @ 80 lbs best in a while and no pain!
    Close grip bench press 2 x 8 @ 22.5 lb dbs, 1 x 6 @ 22.5 lb dbs
    Barbell row 3 x 8 @ 50 lb
    DB curls 1 x 8 @ 12.5 dbs, then went to 20 lb fixed barbell 2 x 8
    Abdominal (bicycles) 1 set of 30

@amyinthetardis1231 do you have trouble lifting as much when you are on a deficit?

@canadianlbs I hope things smooth out and the nutcase finally gives up!
  • hanlonsk
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Pt followed by deadlift day.

Today was one of those weird days where you NEEEDDD AAALLL THE FOODS. Like, hobbits had nothing on me today. I think I counted five breakfasts, plus lunch, plus snack. So I was certain deadlifts were going to be well fueled and full of awesome.... they were umm not full of awesome. They felt flat out crummy. Like, at my 170 set, I was not convinced 195 was coming off the ground. Felt like I was lifting with a couple of saltine crackers in my system instead of all the food.

Deadlifts
    5 x 85
    5 x 110 (already was thinking this was escalating quickly)
    3 x 130
    3 x 150
    3 x 170
    3+ x 195 (I stopped at 6 because they felt terrible and I was sure form was junk. Looking at the video, I should have kept going, they are actually quite pretty for me. You can definitely see the food baby, though)

Bent over rows
    3 x 10 @ 75

Straight leg deadlifts
    3 x 12 @ 85

Good mornings
    3 x 10 @ 45

Facepulls
    20 @ 80
    2x 20 @ 90

Oh, and deadlifts
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    @lkpducky I think so. Most of the lifting I've done has been while in a deficit so it's a little hard to compare, but since I've apparently been eating at maintenance the last few months and my lifts have gone up when I've made the effort, I'd guess that's the case.
  • krokador
    Options
    Had a better session yesterday. It kind of feels like I'm slowly (very slowly) finding a rhythm again with chores and daily life where I'm not cramming EVERYTHING into one day of the weekend, and it does help with my overall state of mind, and thus, sleep.

Back Squat 125x10, 130x10, 132.5x10, 135x10 (this one suuuucked!)
    superset with submax push-ups: 8/7/6/9
    and 3 leg assisted "pull-ups"/set (one with wide grip, one with normal and one with underhand) where I tried to focus on keeping my left shoulder in socket. Even when legs are on the ground, these get tough!

Then 3x5min AMRAPs
    1: 3 trx muscle-up transitions, 6 pike push-ups, 9 KB goblet squats @35lbs -> 4 rounds
    2: 3 trx pull-ups, 6 trx triceps extensions (subbed for dips), 9 DB front rack squats (2x15) -> 2 rounds + 3 squats, I think?
    3: 3 recline rows, 6 HR push-ups, 9 bw squats -> 5 rounds. Left shoulder (teres minor) and right triceps were cramped up during this set :/

and then a 3 min AMRAP core finisher:
    - 10 plank knee tucks
    - 10 hollow rocks

I got in 2 rounds and 3 rocks, I think? Feels fine on the first round, then it starts to buuuuuurn! Not sore today tho, so maybe not enough buuuuuuurn xD Haha.

A part of me is looking forward to deloading and fixing my shoulder. The other is dreading not being able to do any oly lifting, deadlifting, or heavy upper body movements for a while, though.