Third week on keto

Options
mirianyusm
mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
Hi, I started a keto diet three weeks ago. I lost five pounds on the first week, nothing on the second and the third is looking like a plateau too. Is it normal?
Thank you,

Replies

• WenCruz415
    WenCruz415 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Very normal! Give it time, keto weight loss is an ebb and flow it won't always be a regular consistent thing and soo far you are doing great!!!
  • MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good question and response to question.
  • MrsMaui27
    MrsMaui27 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I stared Keto diet, Monday will be 4 weeks. I lost 5 lbs. the first week. I also was wounding if this was normal :|
  • sallyann8
    sallyann8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Beginning my third week on keto, 4lbs first week, 1lb this week so definitely slowed down. This week I'm eating breakfast first (eggs) to get more protein in then main meal at lunch time and soup or beef broth in the evening. Might make a difference, I decided to do this after watching Barbara ONeil on You Tube. A friend recommended her to me as she's a nutritionist. So hoping for weight loss next week too! :):)
  • MrsMaui27
    MrsMaui27 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my 4th week today on keto. I will watch Barbara ONeil on You Tube for some tips & tricks "Thank~U" :)
  • sallyann8
    Options
    mirianyusm wrote: »
    Hi, I started a keto diet three weeks ago. I lost five pounds on the first week, nothing on the second and the third is looking like a plateau too. Is it normal?
    Thank you,

From tomorrow I'm incorporating intermittent fasting as a regular feature 2-3 times a week. This is after reading Jason Fung 'The obesity code' he explains that it's part of resetting 'the body set weight' which he likens to the thermostat in your home. Fasting is one of the keys to resetting it and stop that awful continual plateau. I finished my evening meal at 6pm tonight, so I won't eat until 6 pm tomorrow evening. I will drink lots of water and herbal tea and see what happens on the scales this weekend
  • anelyaG
    anelyaG Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @sallyann8 I enjoy intermittent fasting a lot! I pretty much have dinner at 6:30 and then don't eat breakfast but drink coffee + coconut oil and ghee, well because of fat :) Good luck! I am sure you will get to enjoy it too
  • sallyann8
    Options
    So it's ok to have coffee with cream in? 2nd day today, I was really hungry by 5.30 and was so glad I wasn't on an all day fast, not quite ready for that yet!!
  • mirianyusm
    Options
    Sallyann8, I am also doing intermittent fasting. I feel much better, but the weight is coming off very slow. I will keep on doing it though.
  • sallyann8
    Options
    I ate really well Saturday, Sunday and Monday, cooked breakfast plus coffee with cream, skipped lunch (wasn't hungry) then dinner with a low carb dessert (Sunday allowed myself two roast potatoes and didn't limit the roast lamb) back to IF on Tuesday and Wednesday...absolutely convinced I would have put weight on so got on the scales today and 1lb off! :) IF today and tomorrow then I'm going to relax at weekend. I don't expect it to come off fast as from what I've read it's more difficult if you're post menopausal, but as long as it's happening!!! :)
  • jacqui2494
    jacqui2494 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Coffee and cream is my breakfast on keto. Devine
  • mrs_BF
    mrs_BF Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im glad I found this because I had the exact same concern as OP! I’m on week 4, day 2, and it’s feeling like my high from losing 5lbs be first week just makes me sad now that I’m plateaued. :(
  • mirianyusm
    Options
    Keep at it mrs_BF and the weight will start to come off. I incorporated intermittent fasting and it did it. Since I started 50 days ago, I lost 16 pounds. It is not as fast as I thought it would be but I can see the progress. I did have to cut calories to loose weight.
  • mrs_BF
    Options
    Thanks, mirianyusm! My biggest mistake the first 3 weeks was not being careful about calories. Since starting week 4 on Monday, I’ve been logging everything I eat and have stayed within calorie limits! So, hoping the next few weeks fly by!
  • sexysexy2
    sexysexy2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been on keto since the end of january and feel like I am losing the battle. I initially lost weight, then gained it back again although I followed and logged everything but.... I have lost fat%. It is so frustrating because I have used several keto calculators and I have used the average macros and calorie count.

Last weekend I really did my homework on keto and found out why I was losing fat% but not weight (muscle) I then found ketoers who lowered their fat% and increased their protein% so that your body uses its own fat to make up the difference. So I thought I would give that a go making sure that I did not come out of ketosis (of which I have been in since I started keto).

So after a week I still have not lost any weight, I am still in ketosis but my fat % has gone up by 0.3%.

So I have gone half way on my macros from what I was using to what I changed them to at the weekend (in bold). Although my aim is to stick to the calories I average out at 1350 a day which is 60 calories more but my carbs are always well under 16g carbs (btw I count total carbs)

Macros before the change - Marcros after change - Marcros now
    calories 1290 calories 1290 calories 1290
    carbs 5% (16g) carbs 5% (16g) carbs 5% (16g)
    protein 20% (65g) protein 30% (97g) protein 25% (81g)
    fat 75% (108g) fat 65% (93g) fat 70% (100g)

I am pleased that I have lost fat% - actually since I have started I have gone from 48% to 42% body fat, I have not lost any inches, I am still in the same clothes and I have not lost any weight and at the end of the day I HAVE 42LB TO LOSE ...........

I love the keto lifestyle I just wish I was one of those lucky ketoers who lose weight !
  • mrs_BF
    Options
    I’m trying not to let myself get down about going WAY over my net carbs for the day. I did extremely well for 4 days this week, so I’m trying not to focus on my step back today. Wish me luck this weekend!
  • sexysexy2
    sexysexy2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    you will be great mrs_BF .... just take one day at a time
  • FitMama1982
    FitMama1982 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Everyone here should try adding MCT oil into their regimen with keto. Look it up amazing benefits and helps speed up fat burn/weight loss
  • andieeden
    andieeden Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What does MCT oil taste like? Coconut? Can't do coconut....
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    andieeden wrote: »
    What does MCT oil taste like? Coconut? Can't do coconut....

Most brands don't taste like anything. You could add it to water and not taste a difference. I use Perfect Keto brand MCT Oil Powder, and it tastes like vanilla, so I add it to my tea in the mornings sometimes. Makes it creamier.