Carb binge

Options
Phoenix_Dawn
Phoenix_Dawn Posts: 64 Member
I have done quite well not eating too many carbs over the last six weeks but I had a night out with the girls and went off the rails completely with alcohol and snacks. Pizza, appetizers, chips, chocolate anything I could get my hands on. And now that I'm hungover it has carried on to a second day because when I'm hung over I crave bread, fries and carbs in general. I thought I would be ok today but had zero willpower to stay away from those foods. What do you reccomend for recovering from this. I don't want a 24 hour bing fest to turn into falling off the wagon completely like I have in the past.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hey many of us have done this one way or another. The only solution I have found was to keep my carbs under 50 grams for a while.

I think it was the third carb binge that broke me from the old carb habit. :)

Best of success.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Definitely been there! I try to do a couple days really low carb like under 10g. Also a 24 hour fast but we are all different. Ditch anything that you shouldn't be eating. You will get there :-)
  • sugarfreeme55
    sugarfreeme55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’ve been there too! It’s hard. For me it takes about three days to get myself comfortably back on track. In the mean time I keep reminding myself of how much better I feel when eating low carbs and I try to find foods that feel like the “carbs” to me - like cabbage in a vegetable soup or fried rice made with cauliflower. This way I don’t feel like I’m constantly looking for something!! Good luck!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,413 Member
    Options
    I think we've all be there...all I do is recommit as soon as possible (sometimes the same day) and just start eating low carb. It's absolutely crazy how carbs awaken the sugar monster and increase sugar cravings so much. It's so much better to OD on low carb foods then high carb foods :)
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think step one is make sure you're really well hydrated.. Ensure the electrolytes are taken care of and just get on with low carb from the next meal forward. Perhaps there is a low carb treat you enjoy.. Today might be a good day to seek that out.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself and get back on the wagon. Everyone has done it. You are not alone on these questions. Focus on one day at a time. Just like the very beginning.
  • Phoenix_Dawn
    Phoenix_Dawn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I'm going to drink tons of water and make my favourite low carb meals to eat for the next few days. I stepped on the scale and was up 5 lbs today. I don't want that trend to continue.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I'm going to drink tons of water and make my favourite low carb meals to eat for the next few days. I stepped on the scale and was up 5 lbs today. I don't want that trend to continue.

Good plan. Your weight gain is water...it will leave as quickly as it came if you stick to your plan. Best of luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have zero willpower when I drink as well.

I try to avoid carbs on the hangover day - I actually find that I recover best with some salt, Emergen-C, and water and either no food or something small and easily digested like eggs.

Kombucha is a huge help for me in making me feel better after a carb/alcohol binge...I would imagine any kind of fermented food would be of great value, but for me that's my favorite and it's easy to drink. Yogurt or sauerkraut would make me gag if I was hungover.

I totally avoid dairy for a few days, it makes me feel bad when I'm hungover.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has a way of undoing any of the inhibitions to eating off-track food.. or inhibitions for anything, really. Get plenty of fluids, keep up your electrolytes, and go back to eating keto. Your diet doesn't change just because a binge occurred.

That said, if you do want to include alcohol during your fat loss, it would be better to know exactly how alcohol works in the body and how to make it work in your favor: https://leangains.com/the-truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle-growth/
  • gal4u2nv
    gal4u2nv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don’t beat yourself up too much about it, I usually fast for 16-24hrs and try to get some sort of cardio in to try an use up as much of the glucose stored from said binge, then just carry on with low carb diet..... we have all been there, just pick up where u left off best u can.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think most of us have been there to some extent. Don't be too hard yourself. I know when I slip up like I did last week I just right the ship and get back on track the next day. Hydration is the key when you are hung over and sometimes being dehydrated with manifest as food cravings.

What is done is done, what you have control over is what is happening in this present moment and while you can't predict the future being present right now can make your future path clear to some extent.
  • donharkrn
    donharkrn Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've found that as I've adapted to keto, I tend to do a little better with the munchies. My strategy to eat the stuff I can have before I get too far gone. Then I stick to vodka and tonic.

Either way, you'll be fine. One day can't undo everything. Keep going!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Alcohol has a way of undoing any of the inhibitions to eating off-track food.. or inhibitions for anything, really. Get plenty of fluids, keep up your electrolytes, and go back to eating keto. Your diet doesn't change just because a binge occurred.

That said, if you do want to include alcohol during your fat loss, it would be better to know exactly how alcohol works in the body and how to make it work in your favor: https://leangains.com/the-truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle-growth/

Those frickin' "drunk munchies!" I've never smoked weed, but I get drunk munchies? Is that just me?

Anyway, a tip: I usually do whiskey or vodka mixed with a diet soda or Mio or something. I have electrolytes in my actual drinks. I can barely taste it but I'm liberal with the salt and a little NuSalt (because I personally need the potassium, I don't seem to retain it well. Might have to do with stupid Sjogren's). I never get a hangover. And in order for me to get really buzzed, I have to drink a lot. I drink ketoade first thing in the morning the next day. Easy peasy.

And to echo, Anubis "Your diet doesn't change just because a binge occurred." Dust yourself off, and get back to work, right? I don't punish myself with further restrictions. I'm already abusing myself enough over it with my internal monologue. :smirk:

Not just you. When I get drunk, it's with gusto, and out goes any sort of diet I'm following. Though, twice I have followed Martin's leangains article without any negative effects on body composition, so it does work. You just have to mindfully want to eat lean protein and when you're out with a bunch of friends, it's damn near impossible. Funny enough, getting high on weed has never once induced munchies on my end. In fact, it blunts my hunger. The last thing I want is food.

And exactly right. There's no need to punish yourself with further restriction. You can't undo the damage that's been done, so chalk it up to a good night out + a diet break, and go right back to your diet like you have to show up for work.
  • WenCruz415
    WenCruz415 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself that you have worked too hard to let your progress be overcome by one or two bad days. Every day is a new day and new opportunity to get back on track! One day at a time, you can do it. As a former carb and sugar addict, if I can do it YOU TOTALLY can!!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Anyway, a tip: I usually do whiskey or vodka mixed with a diet soda or Mio or something. I have electrolytes in my actual drinks. I can barely taste it but I'm liberal with the salt and a little NuSalt (because I personally need the potassium, I don't seem to retain it well.
    My trick as well, I always ask for a salt shaker at the bar. I prefer salty and sour drinks anyhow, but I always salt 'em extra. Vodka/soda or on the rocks, 3 olives, and the salt shaker. Yum.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Those frickin' "drunk munchies!" I've never smoked weed, but I get drunk munchies? Is that just me?

Anyway, a tip: I usually do whiskey or vodka mixed with a diet soda or Mio or something. I have electrolytes in my actual drinks. I can barely taste it but I'm liberal with the salt and a little NuSalt (because I personally need the potassium, I don't seem to retain it well. Might have to do with stupid Sjogren's). I never get a hangover. And in order for me to get really buzzed, I have to drink a lot. I drink ketoade first thing in the morning the next day. Easy peasy.

And to echo, Anubis "Your diet doesn't change just because a binge occurred." Dust yourself off, and get back to work, right? I don't punish myself with further restrictions. I'm already abusing myself enough over it with my internal monologue. :smirk:

Not just you. When I get drunk, it's with gusto, and out goes any sort of diet I'm following.

I'm always home when I drink any more. So I portion out a big yummy snack before I start, then halfway through the Boozepocalypse, I retire with the snack and the Hubs upstairs to Netflix or Amazon Prime. He'd rib me mercilessly if I went down for more food. So that's a pretty good deterrent. If I am out, I do what I have to do during the day to make sure I have the calories for it all and then order my food before I even start my drinks. I'm too busy clucking with my friends, laughing, and drinking to think about ordering something else. Being on a budget helps, too. :wink: But then I can't drink much as I have to drive home. I don't put myself into a situation where I don't have to worry about that. Because I will get "embarrass your friends so bad you don't got friends no mo'" drunk. Did that once, luckily my friend was pretty awesome and kept me.

It works pretty well most of the time. If I stick with the plan. Otherwise, it's a bag of chips plus a bag of mini Reesey Cups and shame. :lol: But the next day I'm like "Well...that happened. *sigh* But it's not going to continue to happen." I brew my usual coffee and move on about my new normal life, which at this point is the same-ol'-same-ol' habits I've honed over the past 4 years (almost. I'll have been some form of LC for 4 years in June).

Fall down 7 times. Get up 8. Get back to work.
    Humans make mistakes. So what? Just try not to make more.

The best thing to do with a binge/mistake is to learn a lesson from it. What was the trigger? And how can I hack my brain so that I won't be as likely to do it again? Learn a new strategy from it and have it ready in your bag of tricks the next time the situation comes up. My nemesis, besides drunk-binging, is my husband. On weekends, he is just ultra unpredictable as far as going out to eat or deciding he wants to cook some calorie-bomb meal on a whim. So I eat less during the week to give me a goodly amount of calories to play with on the weekend for whatever nonsense he perpetrates that is counter to my plans and I get to have some drunk-munchies. Over time I have learned myself and developed these, and other, successful strategies. Everyone should work on finding theirs. Their efforts will go much more smoothly without them ending up fighting themselves or tripping themselves up.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, it's a bag of chips plus a bag of mini Reesey Cups and shame.

You are my alcohol spirit animal.

I also have to stay away because my husband will try to talk me into more kids...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    Otherwise, it's a bag of chips plus a bag of mini Reesey Cups and shame.

You are my alcohol spirit animal.

I also have to stay away because my husband will try to talk me into more kids...

:scream::joy:
    I would love more kids myself. My mental health, however, is at its limit I believe. And so is the pocketbook. It's frightening to see college x 4 in the future already. My oldest is about to get her driver's permit. Oy!
    Besides, my youngest is the type that, if he had been born first, he would have been an only child. I barely sleep as it is. More of that? Noise X 5, in light of the concussive barrage I already get?
    tenor.gif

I had a friend joke that with 3 kids, you become a referee, with 4: a bouncer. I would agree. Another would be what? Me an orderly during a mass riot at Arkham? :smirk: Some days it already feels like that.