No oven!

Options
hey guys! The apartment I live in doesn't have an oven so my usual go to meals are proving difficult.
I've browsed Pinterest for ideas but have just ended up leaving the site hungry......
Any suggestions for hob top only recipes? (I've just moved so don't own a slow cooker yet, it's on the to buy list.)
Things I eat - everything (obviously....)
Things I don't eat - coriander.

Oh, and I live in South-East Asia so generic supermarkets are non-existent.

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Pin One-Pot Meals. Tons of ideas there, and you are supposed to only dirty one dish! My favorite go-to is one-pot "ziti" I use the term ziti loosely as it's really "one pot whatever pasta I have on hand" But it's basically tomato sauce or pasta sauce of choice, ground meat like beef, turkey or sausage, onions, mushrooms, cream cheese, and pasta. My recipie is never the same, but I could try to give you one if you would like. I kind of just started googling "one pot ziti" and created my own based on what I have on hand. Another counter top appliance to invest in is an instant pot. I use it about once a week since I bought it. But with that, you could do chickens, pot roasts, cakes, and more. It would probably be a great substitute if you are lacking an oven. You could also pick up a counter top roasting oven too. I'm not sure of the availability of those in SE Asia though...
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Investing in a larger toaster oven might be helpful. I have one that even fits some of my smaller casserole dishes, and I use it to bake things when I don't want to heat up the oven (or the kitchen). We use it every day for things like waffles, English muffins, and pizza reheats anyway. When my oven/stovetop wasn't working a few weeks back, I used it tons until we got a repairman in.
  • polkadotsandpoptarts
    polkadotsandpoptarts Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Pin One-Pot Meals. Tons of ideas there, and you are supposed to only dirty one dish! My favorite go-to is one-pot "ziti" I use the term ziti loosely as it's really "one pot whatever pasta I have on hand" But it's basically tomato sauce or pasta sauce of choice, ground meat like beef, turkey or sausage, onions, mushrooms, cream cheese, and pasta. My recipie is never the same, but I could try to give you one if you would like. I kind of just started googling "one pot ziti" and created my own based on what I have on hand. Another counter top appliance to invest in is an instant pot. I use it about once a week since I bought it. But with that, you could do chickens, pot roasts, cakes, and more. It would probably be a great substitute if you are lacking an oven. You could also pick up a counter top roasting oven too. I'm not sure of the availability of those in SE Asia though...

Thanks! I'll check it out now.

• polkadotsandpoptarts
    polkadotsandpoptarts Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    suzyjmcd2 wrote: »
    Investing in a larger toaster oven might be helpful. I have one that even fits some of my smaller casserole dishes, and I use it to bake things when I don't want to heat up the oven (or the kitchen). We use it every day for things like waffles, English muffins, and pizza reheats anyway. When my oven/stovetop wasn't working a few weeks back, I used it tons until we got a repairman in.

It's on the to buy list! As well as a slow cooker.