Are You A...

Options
drmarctagon
drmarctagon Posts: 101 Member
Keto lifer or are you sticking with it until you reach a certain goal?

Or a third option, perhaps you're not sure yet?

I'm Option 3. I'm in it for more than just to reach a goal but if I find it sustainable for me, I might keep it going for the long haul.

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm a LCHF lifer. Not always at keto levels. Daily I aim to be around 50 net. I will have carby days here and there and occasional treats. I like to stay fairly low carb because it helps to control my RA symptoms. I can get by with some overage here and there but more than a day or two higher carb and I feel it.
  • drmarctagon
    drmarctagon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I'm a LCHF lifer. Not always at keto levels. Daily I aim to be around 50 net. I will have carby days here and there and occasional treats. I like to stay fairly low carb because it helps to control my RA symptoms. I can get by with some overage here and there but more than a day or two higher carb and I feel it.

What you stated is pretty much the end goal I'm going for to a tee, minuse the RA, LCHF but necessarily keto all the time with the occasional treat, something I can keep going with but where I can still indulge from time to time but not often . I started keto specifically to curb a sugar addiction more than to lose weight specifically although I am trying to lose weight too.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    LCHF yes, Keto not necessarily. I do keto most of the time but some carbs are worth it.
  • RaleighCaldwell
    RaleighCaldwell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What LowCarb4Me said...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Keto for 2 years, then I'll try switching to low carb...if the migraines stay gone, then I'll stay low carb, if they come back, then it's back to keto...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I intended to be keto forever. I used it to get to goal and stayed on it to recomp for a bit. But I was slowly developing an autoimmune disease (or should I say it was slowly waking up), and it turns out that Sjogren's in my body really does NOT like ketosis. So I switched to just LCHF. Most days I'm close to ketosis. And I may occasionally dip in. As long as I don't stay too long, I'm ok. It was really hard for me to add more carbs, because I was keto for over 1.5 years, and I really loved it. Went out kicking and screaming, but I've figured things out. :smile:
    I do have higher carb days on Saturdays, but it's still usually under 150.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Definitely low carb for life. I do feel much better eating lower carb and now that I found fun substitutes for treats I'm a happy camper!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I will remain LCHF since it just agrees with me and it's easier to find vegan options that are low carb when dining out with the wife who is a staunch vegan but eats a lot of junk food. Once I hit maintenance I will probably add in more fruit options but I won't go back to eating the way I used to since it affected my health, generally made me feel more depressed, and gain a lot of fat.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Since 2013, I've been some degree of low carb. ~130 or under. 2016 was keto less than 20 carbs. 2017 was less than 50 carbs with a few higher flex days. 2018 has been the same as 2017.

The desire/urge to over eat once had control of me. I've turned that around. I eat what I want and what I want day to day is generally ~50 total carbs or less. It would be kinda silly of ME to say I'm never, ever, ever, EVER going to eat X, Y or Z again. I really have no restrictions. Just choices. At least today.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My plan is to do keto (around 20 carbs a day) until I hit goal then go up to under 50 carbs and maintain there. I have used MFP to track for years and don’t think this will be unachievable.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Oops. Nevermind. :smile:
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Keto lifer due to T2 diabetes.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I intended to be keto forever. I used it to get to goal and stayed on it to recomp for a bit. But I was slowly developing an autoimmune disease (or should I say it was slowly waking up), and it turns out that Sjogren's in my body really does NOT like ketosis. So I switched to just LCHF. Most days I'm close to ketosis. And I may occasionally dip in. As long as I don't stay too long, I'm ok. It was really hard for me to add more carbs, because I was keto for over 1.5 years, and I really loved it. Went out kicking and screaming, but I've figured things out. :smile:
    I do have higher carb days on Saturdays, but it's still usually under 150.

baconslave, I am sending you a PM on this subject, so as not to high- jack the discussion..

LCHF/Keto for life !! with a few glitches along the way...some carbs are too tempting for me.

• 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Definitely low carb for life. I am hoping once I get to maintenance, I won't have to do Keto so strictly. But I am just 3 months in...so who knows what will happen once I hit goal lol.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've done the hard yards weening myself off a carb heavy diet and just can't see any value in going back. So I expect to be low carb forever more. But I will likely relax the strict keto once I hit my goal.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    LCHF, occasions when I will be keto or fasting. I'm almost finished with my first year of maintenance. No plans to change my WOE. So yea, I'm a lifer. Done with yoyoing carb filled WOE.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    When my positive health changes stop or reverse I will look at leaving Keto/LCHF WOE's.