8 hour fast?

Options
cgcrutch
cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
Is it even worth it? I want to do OMAD, but it's inconvenient for me to have a big 2 hour meal in the middle of my workday. Lately I've been eating around 10am and again around 7-8. Is this somewhat beneficial? Or is it just like having a normal eating window (all day basically)? I can't eat a large meal in the morning, but I get irritable if I don't eat anything all day til 7pm :/

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    When I was doing this, I did two eating windows. So I did two 10 hour fasts (one while sleeping) and two 2-hour eating windows. Generally, I ate breakfast and skipped lunch, ate dinner.

I know I felt better doing it, as I got that boost in ketone energy, but I also wasn't well enough adapted to do it all the time.

My understanding is that any break you give your digestion is great - anything past the 4 hour mark is pure fat burning, if I remember... So you're getting two mini-boosts...

As long as you don't feel the need to snack between, you're probably doing fine as you are... If not, do it 6-12 weeks, and if it isn't working, change it, etc.
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I fast from about 6:30 pm to 10:30 am, which is a 16 hour fast. I can have a snack at 10:30 if I need, but most of the time I can actually just make it to lunch at noon. Then I have dinner between 5:30 and 6:30.
  • pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I fast from about 9pm until 4pm and just have a bulletproof coffee in the morning. I didn't go out of my way to do this fast but as I got more adapted with IF I went from 2pm to 9pm eating to 4pm to 930pm eating. This might seem late to some but I work 9 am to 7 pm 5 days a week and I don't have a way to heat food at work. Sometimes, based on work, it turns into a OMAD schedule, particularly when work is crazy and I don't have time to eat. I take food with the hope but sometimes it doesn't work out, however I make sure I am drinking water throughout the day.

I find my coffee really helps me stay full and happy during the day even when I get 10,000 plus steps in while on the job. 2 tbsp heavy cream, 1 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk, blended and yummy. The fat really helps me as I don't feel hungry and my energy is really high. This is just my 2 cents with what works for me.